new Animals 2018 remix- SACD vs BLU-RAY

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
allthink
Embryo
Embryo

new Animals 2018 remix- SACD vs BLU-RAY

Post by allthink »

Hello PF fans
I'm pretty sure I know different formats and technicalities. Just want to make sure I understand.

Is there any difference in SACD vs BLU-RAY tracks of the new remixed album?

As per definition, higher than 16bit/44khz is high res.
As for my understanding, they will be the same but correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm talking about 2 tracks- the stereo remix and 5.1 surround.

I assume that SACD is also 24bit/192khz, because DSD high-res should be in that level(but it can be also 24 bit/44khz I assume, still high res).
The blu rays doesn't have DSD but it has different , also "high res" dts-HD MA (master audio) format, so I expect to get same level of quality, but again, correct me if I'm wrong and if the SACD have any real benefits over the Blu-ray.

From SACD it says it have
2018 NEW STEREO MIX (High-resolution DSD)
2018 NEW 5.1 SURROUND MIX (High-resolution DSD)
2018 NEW STEREO MIX (standard CD)
2018 Remix: 5.1 Surround and Stereo Mixes by James Guthrie

From Blu-ray it says it have
- 2018 Remix - Stereo: 24-bit / 192kHz Uncompressed, dts-HD MA
- 2018 Remix - 5.1 Surround: 24-bit / 96kHz Uncompressed, dts-HD MA
- 1977 Original Stereo: 24-bit / 192kHz Uncompressed, dts-HD MA
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new Animals 2018 remix- SACD vs BLU-RAY

Post by twcc »

Welcome newbie

My SDE is not due for a couple of weeks so I cannot comment based on seeing the discs or the live data streams from a player or PC, However, the choice of disc and audio differences are academic unless you have a capable player and appropriate speaker set-up. Standalone SACD players are rare and expensive so most people will be using the regular CD track playing on a regular CD player or a Blu-ray player or 4K UHD player for the best effect. Not all players and set ups handle DSD/DTS hence the usual practice of offering multiple mixes to allow the user to pick and choose.

My first experience will almost certainly be Blu-ray 5.1 at home with a full set of speakers not a sound bar, but then the next car journey it will be CD in regular stereo... albeit the car has loads of speakers to provide an immersive feel (but I know it's stereo).