What Are Your Thoughts On The Endless River?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

What Are Your Thoughts On The Endless River?

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

I know that the popular opinion on 'The Endless River' is that it's there worst, but I personally loved it. It wasn't really a Pink Floyd album to me, more like the result of a planned David Gilmour and Rick Wright collaboration that just so happened to have Nick Mason on drums, but, the songs were great nonetheless. In my opinion, it's far better than AMLOR. I think it should have been a part of a later years box set though, personally.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On The Endless River?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I really love it. An instrumental Pink Floyd album is a good idea. Only thing is if it was done in the 70's, it would have been a quadruple album. The edited snippets worked. If they were edited.
It used some sounds from previous albums. In parts it sounded like old Floyd, parts were 80's Floyd.
But it worked and didn't seem like a compilation of things cut out.
The sections worked. Better send off for Rick Wright.
Sod it! Breaking ranks! The Endless River satisfied me deeper than anything the band did since 1980.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

It was an interesting take on the cash grab album.

It was just a bunch of odds and sods that varied in levels of doneness.

To this day, it's the only Pink Floyd release, apart from Is There Anybody Out There, that I do not have on vinyl.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Personally, I loved it. It was bold, surprising, conceptually the most interesting thing post-Waters Floyd ever made. As a long instrumental piece with a single song at the very back it goes well with Floyd's 1969-1971 weird experiments and albums, almost as an addition to that phase of the band.

It demonstrated the real forte of post-Waters Floyd: the sound and the music (rather than lyrics and narrative albums). Instrumental parts of "Shine On" is what Gilmour-Wright-Mason really were together, and The Endless River clearly demonstrates that. Instrumental album, just playing music, was an entirely appropriate step for the post-1985 Floyd.

On that note, I wish the album actually was an entirely instrumental one. IMO they should've released "Louder than Words" first as a separate single, and replaced it with instrumental TBS9 and TBS14 (found on the deluxe version) on the actual album (properly integrated and rerecorded of course; this would bring the album to the same length again).

Finally, never performing any of it live, not even Gilmour on his solo tours, is a real shame. The material would've continued to evolve on stage as it always did with Floyd (the same happens on Gilmour's solo tours), leading to an ever better version.
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Post by A Syd Casualty »

I didn't play it enough to have an opinion on it
Maybe should give it another shot
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

A Syd Casualty wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:45 pm I didn't play it enough to have an opinion on it
Maybe should give it another shot
Good morning! Make it your weekend. Let us known Sunday night
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I remember my initial summation being "good for doing chores to," and that's not a damning with faint praise, really; for my money, you can never have too much music that you can just put on and let it do it's thing in the background while you do whatever you're doing.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

I also haven't listened to it since.

And I took my time buying it. So much so that a friend of mine messaged me rather anxiously asking me what I thought of it as he was awaiting my verdict before going to buy it, himself. I told him that the fact that it had been out for two or three days and I wasn't tripping over myself to get it should tell him all he needs to know.

I remember thinking that parts of it sound like Steely Dan interrupted the jam...not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing; I like Steely Dan.

I mean...the worst Pink Floyd anything will move more units than anything I've made/ever will make, so I can't throw too many stones. If I were to have to choose between listening to it and listening to AMLOR, I might go with TER, just because it guarantees I won't have to sit through "Sorrow."

I cannot think of a single Pink Floyd album that I would not give 3 our of 5 stars to, though; just because they're my favorite band. The worst Pink Floyd album is still better than the best Nickleback album. Fact.
GlastoEls
Embryo
Embryo

Post by GlastoEls »

I adore it.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

mosespa wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:10 am parts of it sound like Steely Dan interrupted the jam...not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing; I like Steely Dan.
It's a bad thing. lol. It's like borrowing something that's already being borrowed.

Endless River is a bit superfluous.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I hated it at first but now I listen to it quite often. I find it relaxing and a pleasant listen. It’s certainly not a Pink Floyd masterpiece but it has a few great moments.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I quite like it when I'm chilling out. It is just very relaxing and a good soundscape.
bloop
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bloop »

Editing out "Ainisia", "Noodle Street" and "Louder than words" makes this the best post-Waters album for me.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Hadrian wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:57 pm IMO they should've released "Louder than Words" first as a separate single, and replaced it with instrumental TBS9 and TBS14 (found on the deluxe version) on the actual album (properly integrated and rerecorded of course; this would bring the album to the same length again).
I love the addition of some sections of The Big Spliff on the album, but I think they should have added the entirety of The Big Spliff.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Bottom of the barrel stuff. A lot of people criticised Rog for recycling the Wall cast offs for the final cut and all this album is just a load of cast offs released on the back of the sympathy vote of Rick dying. Add on to that Polly's terrible lyrics and you have the perfect storm if crap.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

I think it’s excellent FWIW