Pink Floyd - Catalogue Sale ($500million) stalled

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd - Catalogue Sale ($500million) stalled

Post by twcc »

Recent explosive comments from Roger Waters have reportedly held up negotiations of Pink Floyd’s catalog sale.

Variety reports that the band has been quietly shopping their “recorded-music catalog and other assets for several months, seeking as much as $500 million.” These statements from Waters may have have led potential buyers to question the value of such a deal.

He has always been outspoken and opinionated regarding world politics, but an interview Rolling Stone seems to have escalated things to another level. Among his many opinions, Waters railed against the mainstream media, calling it “western propaganda,” described alleged Russian war crimes in Ukraine as “lies, lies, lies” and labelled the United States as “the most evil of all by a factor of at least 10 times.”

Of course, these comments aren’t the only thing influencing a Pink Floyd catalog sale. Variety’s sources noted that “various considerations, including tax issues, rising interest rates, the sinking value of the British pound, global recession concerns and the prospect of getting an even bigger price, have delayed the [sale] process.”

Still, considering how classic-rock catalogs have become big business – Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Journey and Stevie Nicks are just some of the acts who’ve cashed in on deals in recent years – it seems safe to assume that Pink Floyd would have no shortage of suitors, under normal circumstances.

Waters is also only one of the principal parties involved in a potential catalog sale. Nick Mason, David Gilmour and the estate of late keyboardist Richard Wright would also have a say in any deal that is ultimately struck. As the most prominent and vocal member of Pink Floyd, however, Waters’ actions undoubtedly reflect upon his former group.

His comments may be causing prospective buyers to pause, potentially lowering the price they’re willing to pay, or even pulling out all together, according to Variety. The report noted that at least one potential buyer was considering a retraction of their offer because of Waters’ comments.

“The other band members must be furious,” a source added.

Read More: Pink Floyd Catalog Sale Reportedly Threatened by Waters’ Comments | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-fl ... m=referral
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - Catalogue Sale ($500million) stalled

Post by Hadrian »

Interesting. On the other hand, the actual Pink Floyd these days (Gilmour and Mason) with ""Hey, Hey, Rise Up!" single is entirely in the pro-Ukraine camp, but that seems to have no value there (?).

By the way, here is the link to Roger Water's Rolling Stone interview (92 minutes):

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/rollin ... 9805281570
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Post by A Syd Casualty »

You can say and think what you want.

As long as we approve of it.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Another take on the stalled sale, now it is David and Roger feuding:

https://rockcelebrities.net/david-gilmo ... alog-sale/
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

twcc wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:22 pm
The report noted that at least one potential buyer was considering a retraction of their offer because of Waters’ comments.
Yes I can tell you now that I took my offer off the table
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

A variety article today https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pin ... 04526.html calls the catalog sale "Basically Dead -- or is it?"
"While representatives for the long-running British group have never officially said the catalog was up for sale, multiple parties, including Financial Times, confirmed that the bandmembers were seeking as much as $500 million for the recorded-music catalog and other assets. However, a variety of factors — including rising interest rates, tax issues, the sinking value of the British pound and not least Waters’ comments — have slowed down the process."
However, Waters’ recent remarks gave pause to some prospective buyers — which FT said include Sony Music, Warner Music, BMG, Primary Wave and Blackstone-backed Hipgnosis Songs Capital — and arguably have had a negative impact on the value of the catalog. At least one potential buyer is known to have pulled out because of them.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Rog is the most prominent member of PF? He hasn't been a member for decades.
A Syd Casualty wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:28 pm You can say and think what you want.

As long as we approve of it.
People are free to choose whom they wish to do business with, personally associate with, etc.

Rog is a complex beast. E.g. his principled stand against Trump when Trump was in power, touring the US making a stand against the sitting president. (Entirely justified by subsequent events.)

But, now he's supporting Putin, who arguably is even worse for this world than Trump.

I haven't seen anyone say that Roger shouldn't be able to say or think those things. But, others are free to decide whether or not to associate themselves with people because of their words and deeds. E.g. does anyone think that Gary Glitter will be able to sell his catalogue?

People are free to make controversial statements, provided that they do not stray into hate speech, incitement to violence, etc. However, others are free to decide whether they want to be associated with certain other people, or not.

I don't feel any personal concern whether PF can sell their catalogue or not. It's not like they aren't rich enough already.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

It will sell, it's just a matter of time and if Roger will keep it toned down long enough. These things always sell but it might be after Roger kicks the bucket. That would help draw attention to a good memory situation which would help sales. It's morbid but true.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:37 am Rog is the most prominent member of PF? He hasn't been a member for decades.
Using the word generally, it is true that he is a member - a past (and 'surviving') member.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

PooF wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:35 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:37 am Rog is the most prominent member of PF? He hasn't been a member for decades.
Using the word generally, it is true that he is a member - a past (and 'surviving') member.
Hmmm... Different people use words in different ways. To me personally 'member' alone means 'current member' and Rog is a 'former member'.
BeatriceBaker
Embryo
Embryo

Post by BeatriceBaker »

"Rumago." Variety reports that over the past few months, the band has purchased its "record catalog and other assets in search of $500 million." Waters' statements may suggest that the buyers questioned the value of such a deal. Rolling Stone probably took the situation to a new level. Among the mass of his opinions, Waters railed against the mainstream media, calling them "Western propaganda," describing alleged cases of disease in Ukraine as "lies, lies and damned lies," and calling them "the most evil of all factors" no less than 10 times.
Last edited by BeatriceBaker on Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I keep thinking it's a done deal whenever I see this thread at the top!
And that's business as it's still going on. I'm clearly not a business man because I'd be thinking "This selling catalogue bubble is going to burst sooner than later" and had pulled out wishing a good day.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

My personal belief is that PF won't be able to sell their catalogue because they won't agree. Hence, when I see posts here I automatically assume it's just to report more disputes between the two of them.