What Are Your Thoughts On Ummagumma

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

What Are Your Thoughts On Ummagumma

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

I see why some people may think Ummagumma is a bad album overall, or the idea that you need to be high to enjoy, but I genuinely think that this is a great album (And I've been sober my entire life). The best songs are definitely Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way, Pt. 3, but I also loved some of the less popular songs, like Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict and Sisyphus, Pt. 2.

What do you guys think of it?
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Ummagumma

Post by Yucateco »

The live disc saves it ;)

It was probably to early in their career, but the idea of everyone doing their songs in the late seventies would be intriguing.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Could listen to the live disc any day. Have to be really not minding what's in the background for the second disc. Did used to love both discs ages ago. Now I'd only hear The Narrow Way and the first part of Sysyphus from that.
A Saucerful of Secrets never sounded better.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

I really like it and appreciate its avant-garde approach. The live album is a good insight into their live sound around that time, and it’s ludicrous now to think that it was the only official live album release until A Delicate Sound of Thunder in the late 80s.

Grantchester Meadows and Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict are by far my favourites. I think it was one my first introductions to Floyd hearing “Come back, weeee” down headphones on vinyl at an early age. What an experience!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I am defiantly a disc 1 fan and its a pity they didn't use disc 2 for more live tracks. The Narrow Way saves side two - Sysyphus is 3 parts too long, Grantchester Meadows sends me to sleep, the best thing about Several Species... is the fly swatting and the best thing about The Grand Vizier's... is Nick's then wife playing flute
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I'm aware of the messiness of the studio disc, but I honestly really like it anyway. I think in a way it was something they had to get out of their systems if they were to go onto make records like Meddle or Dark Side. And even then I love a lot of it anyway. "Sysyphus" fascinates me, "Grantchester Meadows" is really pretty, "The Narrow Way (Part 3)" has this wonderfully doomy sound and the ambient section of "Grand Vizier's Garden Party" is super eerie.
And of course, the live disc is superb.