High Hopes Guitar Solo VS Comfortably Numb

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

High Hopes Guitar Solo VS Comfortably Numb

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Of course, Comfortably Numb may just be THE greatest guitar solo of all time, but what about High Hopes?
Both solos are incredibly emotional and unmatched by any others that I've heard.
It's a tough call, but I have to give the title of greatest guitar solo to High Hopes.

Please forgive me.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: High Hopes Guitar Solo VS Comfortably Numb

Post by Yucateco »

No contest in my opinion. High Hopes is just an inferior copy of Comfortably Numb.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Both solos are tremendous and I think it’s unfair to compare about which one is the best one overall. For me it all depends on mood, whether I’m listening to Comfortably Numb as part of an album or a live concert in which the solo is doubled in length.

But one thing I do find brilliant about the High Hopes solo is how when it’s played live David switches from his acoustic guitar to his lap steel guitar, and then right at the end swivels the acoustic guitar back over while still sat down to play a soft noodle of an outro.

Seeing him do it in person is an unmatched musical experience.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Going off topic - I have to confess that neither of those are my favourite I prefer the solos on Pigs 3 different kind - especially the '77 live tour versions. I have to say I pretty much like a majority of his solos on Floyd albums and his early solo albums but he seems to find it difficult to bring that quality to any of his later solo albums
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Master_Chief wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:26 pm But one thing I do find brilliant about the High Hopes solo is how when it’s played live David switches from his acoustic guitar to his lap steel guitar, and then right at the end swivels the acoustic guitar back over while still sat down to play a soft noodle of an outro.
I absolutely love hearing him play that. I remember watching the Remember That Night DVD as a 15 year old, having spent most of the previous summer with The Division Bell on repeat, and the acoustic outro for the High Hopes solo was like a musical brick to the face.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Different type of solos would of been better comparing On The Turning Away. But on topic High Hopes is a really good solo the Pulse version is amazing and the best version of it IMO the 2006 versions were good with the acoustic outro some haunting performances from that tour Mermaid Theatre was one of them
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

It depend on my mood but can’t go wrong with the Pulse version of either song ever.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »