‘Have You Got It Yet?’ Brilliant, Troubled Pink Floyd Co-Founder Syd Barrett Focus Of New Documentary

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: ‘Have You Got It Yet?’ Brilliant, Troubled Pink Floyd Co-Founder Syd Barrett Focus Of New Documentary

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Keith Jordan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:43 pm I saw it. Really well put together and some new things shown.
Probably not. We'd have heard it by now. But... Was there any audio of the actual song Have You Got It Yet?
KwQ
Embryo
Embryo

Re: ‘Have You Got It Yet?’ Brilliant, Troubled Pink Floyd Co-Founder Syd Barrett Focus Of New Documentary

Post by KwQ »

Yes. New footage was in the trailer. Syd in studio with Pip.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Keith Jordan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:43 pm I saw it. Really well put together and some new things shown.
What's new concerning previously (offically) unreleased audio/video containing Barrett?

For example, any tap dance footage?
Any footage of Barrett jumping though a mirror?
KwQ wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:32 pm Yes. New footage was in the trailer. Syd in studio with Pip.
Pip? 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' sessions? What makes you so sure?
https://youtu.be/OvxhvLqQak8?t=9
KwQ
Embryo
Embryo

Post by KwQ »

Ian Pip Carter, I remember that smb recognised him in this footage.
Basser101
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Basser101 »

Saw the film last week and was disappointed. It’s worthwhile for fans regardless, just due to the subject matter, music, Storm’s involvement and hearing from the different women in his life, who have not always been willing to talk very much. One of the more interesting comments, Lindsey Corner to Storm: “You remember when I went back to Cambridge. You drove me.” But the weaknesses were larger than the strengths: Relative lack of context about the scene that grew out of the London Free School and how that shaped the creation of the Floyd (see Joe Boyd’s interview with NPR); the lack of a tight timeline of spring/summer/fall to mark signposts of Syd’s decline; the silly acted scenes of Syd’s life-changing moments. With the involvement of Thorgorsen, this was an opportunity to create a definitive doc that would stand the test of time. Don’t think this did that.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Kiddo and I took in the flick last weekend.

We saw it at the Hi Pointe Theater, an arthouse that's over a 100 years old, and it was actually my first time seeing anything there. Sadly, we had to skip dinner at the Hi Pointe Drive In (No relation, Hi Pointe is the name of the neighborhood. We have 79 official nabes in STL.) due to my car's charge being spotty.....(EV Driver).

So, dinner was popcorn with butter and a soda....hardly Michelin Rated, but better than mushy peas I suppose.

The Pros: It was cool seeing this stuff in the theater. It was awesome getting some cleaned up vids.

The Cons: Honestly, there was little new information on the documentary for me. I have watched every single Pink Floyd documentary on YouTube at least twice. So, this wasn't for me, but for folks getting into their first deep dive I think.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it just didn't contain enough new information considering I paid nearly $40 to see it.
Basser101
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Basser101 »

Yep, @battra, that aligns with my experience. Hard to get anything new asking the same questions of the same people, and doing that while trying to keep all your sources happy. You just are not going to be able to do that when getting closer to any ultimate truths or clearer pictures of reality.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Basser101 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:45 pm Yep, @battra, that aligns with my experience. Hard to get anything new asking the same questions of the same people, and doing that while trying to keep all your sources happy. You just are not going to be able to do that when getting closer to any ultimate truths or clearer pictures of reality.
We do a short review of the movie on my podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5OEdFI ... h&index=1p
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Next weekend on television, VRT Canvas (Belgium) will broadcast the documentary:
Saturday 9 September 2023, 23:05 - 00:40.
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/tv-gids/canva ... pink-floyd
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Interesting it has gone to TV before physical release :shock:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

KwQ wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:32 pm Yes. New footage was in the trailer. Syd in studio with Pip.
Not so much the new footage, but the song "Have You Got It Yet". Is there any audio of that specific song?
Probably not, but not the deal breaker. I'd still like to see it.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

There seems to be no permanent link.
So, here's the link for today: https://www.nieuwsblad.be/tv-gids/vrt-c ... pink-floyd

Unlike Germany, overdubbing German voices, Belgium usually only adds subtitles to the original audio.
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:12 pmNot so much the new footage, but the song "Have You Got It Yet". Is there any audio of that specific song?
Previously unreleased footage... I'm afraid there won't be much, because I guess such a sensation would have been reported.
The rumoured film of five Pink Floyd members (including Barrett and Gilmour) doing a tap dance? Would that go unnoticed if it was in the documentary?

As far as I know, the song 'Have You Got It Yet' was presented during a rehearsal without recording it.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

mosespa wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:39 pm
Neil wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:53 am I’m surprised no-one has tried to make a film about the band, and the Barrett era in particular, a la Bohemian Rhapsody.
Some 30-odd years ago, a friend was telling me about his idea for the trailer for such a thing. He described the scenes that would be shown and then when the title was shown at the end, it would simply be the word "Floyd," but colored pink.

Floyd

I rather liked the idea. I've got two of the band cast, even...I could totally see Adam Driver playing Waters and Tom Payne as Gilmour.

Someone needs to get on that.
Sounds great to me!! Adam Driver just seems born to play Roger, doesn’t he?! I’d never heard of Tom Payne, but having just looked him up I can see why you recommend him for Gilmour.

In my mind, a great movie would cover the Barrett beginnings and disintegration, the gradual rise to global stardom, the strained personalities, acrimony and eventual split and legal battle, and then the triumphant return at Live 8. Would probably be a long movie to get all that in, but I’d watch it!

Hmm. Maybe I should learn how to write a screenplay…