New Comfortably Numb Recording by Roger Waters

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Comfortably Numb Recording by Roger Waters

Post by Keith Jordan »

Roger has re-recorded Comfortably Numb and it sounds quite different to the original. What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JLN581QWxc
elumen
Embryo
Embryo

Re: New Comfortably Numb Recording by Roger Waters

Post by elumen »

Wow, I didn't expect that one. Roger Waters always surprising.
OK, here we go: As soon as I got the email from NPF and realized there was a video, I thought, I'll just listen to the song and then the video - so I did.
It was strange not to remember the guitar solo and pop nuances of the original song, but at the same time, it was a pleasant surprise to hear that what was in the original concept of The Wall was embedded there.
The guitar 'screams' from time immemorial, the atmosphere of suspense, the vocal scream that reminds us of TGGITS, the despondency and utopia included in the misshapen message.
Finally a version that does more justice to the concept of the work.
Without detracting from Gilmour's work, which superlatived the music, leaving nuances of the work in 2nd place flat and even making the listener forget what is behind the original idea of ​​The Wall, but here the atmosphere, the concept and even the desire to continue talking about a world that is getting closer and closer to disguised fascism were rescued.
I watched the video: I understand that the 'look' of the message is more like a way of seeing people as a whole instead of personifying them in just one character (Pink).
I believe that Roger managed to convey, in this version, what was to be desired in the original version, including elements that feed the idea, such as the birds, the destroyed city, the phallic symbol and the introduction of the pig (we return to the memory of George Orwell)
Finally, if this version replaces the next remasters of the original version, The Wall work will be even more consistent than the current versions.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Sets quite a different mood, much more foreboding if you know what I mean.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Its different but very depressing and boring, i get why he has done it by reworking the song for the theme of his show no harm in reimaging a song but man that version is a drag and boring to listen to.

For a show opener its brave and original but very bleak
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

It was a bold move to remove the iconic guitar solo, but in a good way. When the intro starts getting boring and you want to turn it off, Roger sings the opening lines: 'Hello (hello, hello), is there anybody in there?' The chorus hits you hard, with the entire band singing. Where the first guitar solo should be, is the chord progression usually played under the solo, along with sound effects and dialogue. The second solo (replaced with a backup singer whaling, similarly to the Great Gig In The Sky) is beautiful. A great opener (instead of the encore that it usually is) and interesting the whole way through.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That was a close on! Here are the results of the twitter poll about whether or not people like the new version of Comfortably Numb!

You need to be logged in to view...
Roger Waters Comfortably Numb 2022 Recording Poll Vote Results.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley58
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Stanley58 »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:57 am The second solo (replaced with a backup singer whaling, similarly to the Great Gig In The Sky) is beautiful.
I agree, i wondered if it was from DSOTM recordings as i saw an interview with Clair Torry and she said that some of the recordings she did was like a scat with "baby baby" used.
KingBee
Embryo
Embryo

Post by KingBee »

When I first read about it, I made up my mind that I wasn't going to like it and suspected a bad motive on Mr. Waters' part since I consider Comfortably Numb to be a David Gilmour song. But then I changed my mind. It's like a different song, complete with Pterodactyls like Echoes. The thunder is the most realistic I've ever heard. The female background vocals are so beautiful, perfect, gentle and delicate that it hurts. I assume that was Amanda Belair since Shanay Johnson did the solo. That is my favorite thing about this song. just tune Roger out and listen to those vocals.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

This is what I get for not logging in daily anymore; I'd have voted "no" on the poll.

This sucks! End of story. Roger's just trying to remove Gilmour's contribution to strengthen his own stranglehold on something that he NEVER could have completed on his own.

I'm still very much a student of Randian Objectivism and I still very much support the idea of RATIONAL Egoism...but this is EgoTism on full display here. Why do this to a perfectly wonderful song? Couldn't be bothered to come up with new music and words?

I'm glad that I went to see The Wall back in '12...because I'm likely never going to willingly go to another Waters show again. Especially not if this is what he's doing to the songs I'd have come there to see.

I'll just go sit at the bar and he can tell me to fuck off from the stage...but I won't be paying for that "privilege."
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Milk it Rog.

Easier than writing a new song which could compete with the greatness of what he was doing over 40 years ago.

The best thing about CN was Gilmour's voice and guitar. It gave the lyrics purpose. Not the other way around.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

well well, for years people have been complaining that Rog stays too faithfully to the originals. Now he radically changes it for the tour and people are upset. folks, it is not replacing the original CN, this is an arrangement for the current TINAD tour, if you want the guitar wank fest you can still listen to the original or the 200.000 official live releases.

I actually quite like it, especially accompanied with the video, makes a nice change of pace and meaning to a song everybody heard a million times. It will not replace the original and that also was never the intention.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

mosespa wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:30 am This is what I get for not logging in daily anymore; I'd have voted "no" on the poll.

This sucks! End of story. Roger's just trying to remove Gilmour's contribution to strengthen his own stranglehold on something that he NEVER could have completed on his own.
Yup. The initial comments about replacing the original and making the song sound closer to how it should have sounded... :cry: This was one of a handful of tracks based on a musical idea of David's. Now it sounds like something from The Final Cut.
daemonspudguy
Embryo
Embryo
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by daemonspudguy »

I saw the TINAD show in Columbus, Ohio and hearing this version of Comfortably Numb in the live show really makes me appreciate it more than just hearing the studio recording. It in no way tops the original, and I don't think it's supposed to. It was made to fit the live show and it does.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

Kinda nice surprise to start a concert this way. Of course now we all know, so the surprise is gone.

I don't mind the missing guitar solo's, none of the solo's at a Waters concert are interesting anymore. Just note-for-note copies of a better original. This I liked better on te KAOS tour, all new solo's.

I don't like the Powers that be and the Bravery of being out of range reworkings. But I won't be attending his tour, so what should I complain?
scmods
Axe
Axe

Post by scmods »

It's OK. I think my view of it now has been a bit soured by the knowledge that he's given Dark Side the same treatment.