any news about DSOTM 50th Anniversary?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: any news about DSOTM 50th Anniversary?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

azza200 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:16 pm Its like he is doing it to erase all the others contributions to the album. This could backfire on Roger but from other comments i have seen over on reddit regarding a lot are supporting it because that old chestnut "its rogers songs" ](*,)
Oh I am just out. Without the other members it would have crashed and burned before Arnold Layne.
Technically there's only three self penned songs by him on there. Oh wait and Speak To Me which he claimed was given a Mason credit out of kindness.
Personally I'll stick with what I've got thanks.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

Funny thing is DSOTM isn't my favorite Pink Floyd album by far. I like long songs. I always hoped Pink Floyd without Roger would return to the longer songs. Maybe like Mike Oldfield in the 80's: one side singles and one side music.

Music comes first, good lyrics are a nice bonus.

Of course Roger was a spent force years decades ago, but to have him rerecord 'his' old songs and pretend he would have had any succes without the rest of Pink Floyd is just sad.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:33 pm
azza200 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:16 pm Its like he is doing it to erase all the others contributions to the album. This could backfire on Roger but from other comments i have seen over on reddit regarding a lot are supporting it because that old chestnut "its rogers songs" ](*,)
Oh I am just out. Without the other members it would have crashed and burned before Arnold Layne.
Technically there's only three self penned songs by him on there. Oh wait and Speak To Me which he claimed was given a Mason credit out of kindness.
Personally I'll stick with what I've got thanks.
Also "Time" can probably be called one of his songs since he brought the initial demo, but the band had so much input on it that they did a four-way split on the credits.

Can't imagine those new versions will have anything of artistic value. People for the most part didn't fall in love with the style of TFC or his solo albums. He isn't Pink Floyd.
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

azza200 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:24 pm https://rogerwaters.com/berliner/

In a new interview with BERLINER ZEITUNG, Rog says at one point he's re-recording Dark Side of the Moon for the 50th anniversary. "The new concept is meant to reflect on the meaning of the work, to bring out the heart and soul of the album... musically and spiritually. I’m the only one singing my songs on these new recordings, and there are no rock and roll guitar solos."
Yes, do it. I really wish to hear this. What he did with the songs from the Final Cut was a very interesting exercise, those acoustic lockdown versions turned out beautiful. But, of course, those were songs from his de facto first solo album.

Now let's strip the biggest rock album of all time from the contributions of three other people (four if we count the vocal composition by Claire), and leave the bare bones of the lyrics. Please do it. Let's see where the real genius that made Dark Side resides. And maybe that will help us as well to properly appreciate what the skill of the other people involved really is as well. Maybe we've all been wrong for 50 years thinking it was the whole of pink Floyd that made the album great. How can we be so blind to fail to notice that Dark Side's immense status in the world of music only depended on the lyrics, and was never a product of the musicianship and the engineering? Let's see what Roger has to teach us now.

Actually not. Don't do it. Everyone knows Dark Side was not the parthogenetic child of one man alone.

At this point I've come to believe he's been suffering some sort of mental illness for a few years that makes him say/do very stupid things. Or maybe he's doing things just because of spite. In either case that's very very sad.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

It's def out of spite and nastiness as he actually thinks he is Pink Floyd sad to see Roger going back to the way he was in the 80's with his ego and nastiness. Him doing this if you look it could backfire badly. Just adds fuel to the fire for the petty Roger V David arguments in the fanbase which is toxic enough.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I don't mind Roger having another go at these songs, I am curious what he will come up with. It certainly won't take anything away from what is already released, that is always out there to enjoy.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

azza200 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:03 pm It's def out of spite and nastiness as he actually thinks he is Pink Floyd sad to see Roger going back to the way he was in the 80's with his ego and nastiness. Him doing this if you look it could backfire badly. Just adds fuel to the fire for the petty Roger V David arguments in the fanbase which is toxic enough.
Well the spite and nastiness is coming from the other sides wife at the moment. [-X

So Roger just released the Lockdown session, is recording a new album and now we learn he is also redoing Dark Side. And people are complaining? Seriously I don´t get you folks anymore. A redone and reinterpreted Dark Side sounds actually interesting. THIS is the stuff that should have been inculuded on a 50th anniversary Box: Dark Side reimagined by the remaining members, a throwback to Umma Gumma. This would actually make me buy that box, not that farce they announced. He might even throw that thing out for free as he did with the lockdown sessions, so I am looking forward to this. The guys will be gone soon enough, so get that stuff released before it is too late.

Nobody has heard anything from it so far, but it is being trashed already. Funny enough only with Waters releases people always need to point out how much they will surely not like it. I could visit the Gilmour section daily and post how much I am not looking forward to the new Gilmour album, which will be a guitar wankfest with petty songs that are only excuses to add another 5 minute guitar solo. And don´t get me started on the sure to be cringy lyrics by Polly. But I am not, let them have their fun with the upcoming release, everybody happy, good times. But some folks just can´t let go.

Those comments that he is doing it out of spite, mental illness, nastiness are so tiresome and wrong. Would you like it if people you don´t even know make those assumptions about you? Maybe its some folks who should look into themselves with all their hate towards Rog inside them? Ever got the idea that Waters is actually proud of the work he did with Pink Floyd and likes to toy with these songs? He reworks songs (CN 2022, AbitW suite with added Jean de iforgot verse, Deja Vu with added verse, etc), he does a hell of a job to add new visuals on every tour, so he is working constantly on his old songs. Why is it suddenly bad when those old geeks are actually putting something out? Back in the early 2000s people were actually happy about any Floyd release (wow a Gilmour live album with stripped down acoustic versions of old songs!, yeah a second live concert fro the OaI tour! A Waters live album with songs from AtD! A Live version of the Wall, yay!), now its just complaining (comments about those four today would be: Gilmour is so out of ideas, reverting to reimagine his old songs... milking the OaI tour again, what a loser.... I always hated AtD, why release live version of it... Live version of a 20 year old concert, don´t they have anything new?). So tiresome, especially with those people who are "certain" that he is doing stuff because of vile and evil reasons, ridiculous.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

I think you're not making an effort to understand why this is being trashed and you don't want to know about it. But I'll try to sum it up as briefly as possible:

DSOTM was a work of four people (plus Alan Parsons and guest musicians). It's one thing to release an album of various reworked songs, but another to take that piece where the four guys were very much all contributing, and now say "these are my songs" (really? Us and Them? The Great Gig in the Sky? Any Colour You Like?) and remake it to be one singular guy's vision.

It rankles. None of those other releases you mention are comparable. Had he simply released a live recording from his DSOTM tour 2007/2008, I can guarantee you these comments wouldn't have cropped up.

But making a new studio version of one of the most iconic albums of all time, publicly stating he's doing it to remove the guitar solos and implying that only then you can hear the heart and soul of these songs... yeah, that's bound to elicit some reactions.

Rog is gonna fall flat on the face with this regardless of his political statements.
frackman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by frackman »

after all these months, I see there's clearly "nothing special" and everything in the box are reproductions of "old stuff".

I've meant something new.. maybe a new format.. not like "atmos mix" to buy more speakers and amplifiers, but to force us to buy a new "device" to play it, for example, or exact copies of the master reel tapes, or so..

and yet, nothing; only asking our few important bucks to support EMI guys' fat & greasy pockets, again.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

frackman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:44 pm after all these months, I see there's clearly "nothing special" ...
I am not sure about your location, but maybe the planetarium show would be of interest to you ?
frackman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by frackman »

twcc wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:27 pm
frackman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:44 pm after all these months, I see there's clearly "nothing special" ...
I am not sure about your location, but maybe the planetarium show would be of interest to you ?
yes, for sure.. but unfortunately we don't have that show here in Istanbul:(