Roger Re records Dark Side

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
User avatar
mosespa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11559
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: In the editing bay...working on the final cut...

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by mosespa »

Listened to half of "Time."

Managed not to vomit...just barely.

God...I never thought that Waters could make me wish he would just pack it in and disappear, already. But, here we are!
User avatar
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 3767
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:03 am
Gender: Male
Location: making a run to the heart of the sun

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by flashback »

Mos it is sad that Roger never saw what Dave, Rick, and Nick did in PF. Now it has come to this, sad. He still believes he was PF and nothing could be further from the truth.
User avatar
azza200
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by azza200 »

Also sad that in the fanbase there a people who are adamant he IS Pink Floyd and they force that view on everyone and that the others are nothing because of Roger they have no talent can't write lyrics etc, Roger told them what to play etc we have all seen the comments on forums, PF social media pages, PF facebook groups etc
User avatar
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!
Posts: 3152
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:23 am
Gender: Male
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by Yucateco »

azza200 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:05 pm Also sad that in the fanbase there a people who are adamant he IS Pink Floyd and they force that view on everyone and that the others are nothing because of Roger they have no talent can't write lyrics etc, Roger told them what to play etc we have all seen the comments on forums, PF social media pages, PF facebook groups etc
Unfortunately they only seemed to work at their limit in the tension of the group in the 70s, after that it all went downhill:

- Rogers solo work has too many words and not enough music
- David solo output is mainly a snoozefest (exept for the self titled one from... the 70s)
- Wright solo is ... well it is there to put it politely
- Gilmour Floyd never reached the level of the 70s output

I don´t know if there has ever been a band where they needed each other so much. Waters to "tell Gilmour what to play", Gilmour to tell Waters that there actually needs to be played something, Wright to add that richness, Mason to add that beautiful drumming. Same with the live shows. Waters the conceptual master where every song makes sense in the concert but is overloaded with messages, Gilmour on the other hand plays random songs with funny lights. Waters would need Gilmour to cut down the message-overload and let the music breathe more, Gilmour would need to Waters to prevent the meaningless endless parade of guitar solos.

Those two blockheads would have been able to do so much more.

Sad state of fanbase? I think the PF fan base is one of the most toxic fanbases ever. Just take a look at several forums and what happened there in the last 4 years. Gilmour fans actually want Waters to fail and even post pictures from the break in the concert to "prove" that it is not sold out, Waters fans bashing everything Polly, Gilmour fans that need to tell that Waters music makes them want to vomit which is of course total BS, Gilmour fans who believe the crap Polly puts on Twitter/X, Carin who has been the fanbases darling when he played for Gilmour, now he is with Waters and the evil himself, the list goes on and on.... this has been getting worse for years as most posts in the Waters section seem to be only there for provocation, i fear the same will happen when there will be a new Gilmour album. The culture of actively trying to ruin others enjoyment of music is on an all time high. In better times people were open and excited for new releases, now they are trashed before release... on a PINK FLOYD forum to make it even worse. I guess we can be glad that there were no forums in the 70s: "I listened to the first two minutes of that new song Echoes. Goes nowhere, they should just pack it in and disappear already".
User avatar
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 3767
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:03 am
Gender: Male
Location: making a run to the heart of the sun

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by flashback »

Pink Floyd as I and some others have said was greater than the sum of their parts. Roger failed to see this and wanted total control. Dave, Rick, and Nick decided to continue on without him. Yes, it wasn't as good as when all 4 were together but it still was pretty good. Roger sold his soul for complete control but didn't have any self-control (IMHO). I will say I can listen to good music with bad words or no words. but I can't listen to bad music with good words. It just doesn't work for me.
User avatar
azza200
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by azza200 »

Yucateco wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:14 pm
azza200 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:05 pm Also sad that in the fanbase there a people who are adamant he IS Pink Floyd and they force that view on everyone and that the others are nothing because of Roger they have no talent can't write lyrics etc, Roger told them what to play etc we have all seen the comments on forums, PF social media pages, PF facebook groups etc
Unfortunately they only seemed to work at their limit in the tension of the group in the 70s, after that it all went downhill:

- Rogers solo work has too many words and not enough music
- David solo output is mainly a snoozefest (exept for the self titled one from... the 70s)
- Wright solo is ... well it is there to put it politely
- Gilmour Floyd never reached the level of the 70s output

I don´t know if there has ever been a band where they needed each other so much. Waters to "tell Gilmour what to play", Gilmour to tell Waters that there actually needs to be played something, Wright to add that richness, Mason to add that beautiful drumming. Same with the live shows. Waters the conceptual master where every song makes sense in the concert but is overloaded with messages, Gilmour on the other hand plays random songs with funny lights. Waters would need Gilmour to cut down the message-overload and let the music breathe more, Gilmour would need to Waters to prevent the meaningless endless parade of guitar solos.

Those two blockheads would have been able to do so much more.

Sad state of fanbase? I think the PF fan base is one of the most toxic fanbases ever. Just take a look at several forums and what happened there in the last 4 years. Gilmour fans actually want Waters to fail and even post pictures from the break in the concert to "prove" that it is not sold out, Waters fans bashing everything Polly, Gilmour fans that need to tell that Waters music makes them want to vomit which is of course total BS, Gilmour fans who believe the crap Polly puts on Twitter/X, Carin who has been the fanbases darling when he played for Gilmour, now he is with Waters and the evil himself, the list goes on and on.... this has been getting worse for years as most posts in the Waters section seem to be only there for provocation, i fear the same will happen when there will be a new Gilmour album. The culture of actively trying to ruin others enjoyment of music is on an all time high. In better times people were open and excited for new releases, now they are trashed before release... on a PINK FLOYD forum to make it even worse. I guess we can be glad that there were no forums in the 70s: "I listened to the first two minutes of that new song Echoes. Goes nowhere, they should just pack it in and disappear already".
The fanbase has been toxic for years but i would say its got a lot worse over the last 5-10 years social media has upped it. I know there is lots of people who are fed up and avoid Roger V David argument feuds. I avoid posting much on say PF's Facebook or Instagram posts because its always people causing trouble with comments i'm sick to death of seeing "Where's Roger" "That is not Pink Floyd "Roger is Pink Floyd" etc its tiring and boring.
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Yucateco wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:14 pm 1. Rogers solo work has too many words and not enough music
2. David solo output is mainly a snoozefest (exept for the self titled one from... the 70s)
3. Wright solo is ... well it is there to put it politely
4. Gilmour Floyd never reached the level of the 70s output
1. Agreed.
2. This is a lot more down to subjective opinion but I must disagree. I love all of his solo work. It's not Floyd, but it's got great moments. Like you said 1978 is pretty great. About Face is a bit silly in places, but has its moments. On an Island is one of my favourite albums of all time, and Rattle That Lock... well it's there but I like half of it.
3. Once I listen to Wet Dream I'll get back to you, but I love Broken China. It's a bit weirder than most Floyd's solo work, but its atmosphere fascinates me. I reckon it not being as widely available as Roger and David's solo work means it's not yet gotten its fair crack.
4. I mean... yes. But The Division Bell is still a damn good album. I think if they'd kept at it after that album we could have had something really special but it's a bit pointless to get hung up on "what ifs".
battra
Knife
Knife
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by battra »

My opinions on this LP, the singles we've heard so far, and the band in general.

When I first heard he was doing this, I was flabbergasted and kind of insulted that he was doing this until I heard his Lockdown Sessions release, which is quite good.

The cover is about the dumbest arse thing you could even come up with. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

The two singles, Money had me interested for a minute or three, but I couldn't get through the 7 minute run time. And Time? Look, i get it's a reworking, but it's not the same damned song, but I guess that's the point. Again, I couldn't get through it.

As for the band themselves? Post 1967, Roger is the PINK in Pink Floyd, not Pink Floyd, but a good half of it. HIs best solo album is Is This The Life We Really Want? where a producer said, I'm producing this album and took control out of Roger's fingers and had dudes imitate Pink Floyd's other members.

I like the Division Bell and I pulled Lapse off the turntable this morning before starting work, but they're not the classic Pink Floyd. The live albums, and I have both of them, lack the punch of the proper lineup.

Roger is like George Lucas...great ideas, great outlines.

Dave is like Harrison Ford...he's that X-Factor makes it special and bright.

Rick is like Sir Alec Guinness...he adds musical legitimacy to the whole project and classes up the joint.

Nick is like Mark Hamill...his youthful exuberance creates an energy that can't be topped.

Pink Floyd as Star Wars.

You're welcome.
User avatar
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:57 pm As for the band themselves? Post 1967, Roger is the PINK in Pink Floyd, not Pink Floyd, but a good half of it. HIs best solo album is Is This The Life We Really Want? where a producer said, I'm producing this album and took control out of Roger's fingers and had dudes imitate Pink Floyd's other members.
You're welcome.
Nigel Godrich did us all a favour. The moment Roger said something about writing a new rock opera he just went "nope" and forced Roger to focus what he wanted to say down to 50 minutes.
You don't get to be Radiohead's producer for over 20 years without learning how to make people focus.
battra
Knife
Knife
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:09 pm
battra wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:57 pm As for the band themselves? Post 1967, Roger is the PINK in Pink Floyd, not Pink Floyd, but a good half of it. HIs best solo album is Is This The Life We Really Want? where a producer said, I'm producing this album and took control out of Roger's fingers and had dudes imitate Pink Floyd's other members.
You're welcome.
Nigel Godrich did us all a favour. The moment Roger said something about writing a new rock opera he just went "nope" and forced Roger to focus what he wanted to say down to 50 minutes.
You don't get to be Radiohead's producer for over 20 years without learning how to make people focus.
Roger needs someone to rein him in.

Period.

His best narrative works, in my opinion, came with Bob Ezrin producing. Followed by Pros and Cons.

But Pros and Cons was a much shorter album, much more focused.

That's frankly what all of the floyd members lack when they're on the outside...focus.
User avatar
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:28 am
Location: Publius Enigma's living room

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by Hadrian »

Curious if anyone here managed to get a hold of a ticket for the Dark Side Redux performances at the London Palladium on October 8 or 9 (I guess those two dates are the album's tour, so to speak). The entire album will be performed. I would love the hear some first hand experiences.
User avatar
azza200
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by azza200 »

Nope tickets too expensive but it would of been an expensive night out in London to full asleep as it played lol. Also Roger played it in full to a small group of people yesterday in New York
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by Alvader »

flashback wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:51 pm Mos it is sad that Roger never saw what Dave, Rick, and Nick did in PF. Now it has come to this, sad. He still believes he was PF and nothing could be further from the truth.
Exactly !!!!!!
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by Alvader »

azza200 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:05 pm Also sad that in the fanbase there a people who are adamant he IS Pink Floyd and they force that view on everyone and that the others are nothing because of Roger they have no talent can't write lyrics etc, Roger told them what to play etc we have all seen the comments on forums, PF social media pages, PF facebook groups etc
Fans ? They are not thinking and resaeaching themselves.
User avatar
azza200
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by azza200 »

flashback wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:51 pm Mos it is sad that Roger never saw what Dave, Rick, and Nick did in PF. Now it has come to this, sad. He still believes he was PF and nothing could be further from the truth.
In the end we'll find out that Pink Floyd were a kind of Milli Vanilli where Roger Waters was the only musician there and was doing everything while the others just posed for the pictures and danced with their instruments live....(that's probably how he sees it)