DSOTM pressing query

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
walklikebrando
Embryo
Embryo

DSOTM pressing query

Post by walklikebrando »

New to the board - Hi everyone! I am in posession of a copy of DSOTM but trying to find out what pressing it is. Most versions I've seen have the prism label, but this doesn't some photos attached. It is similar to Irish pressings, but text layout is a bit different.
Matrix side A: SHVL 804 A-3
Also a mark like a reversed 3 at 9 o'clock (see photo)
Matrix side B: SHVL 804 B-2
The sleeve is "Printed and made by Garrod & Lofthouse Ltd" with a UK EMI address
Possibly a mix up of vinyl and sleeve? Any help greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Re: DSOTM pressing query

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

How unusual.

While the cover seems to correspond to an UK pressing, the record itself does not. Could it be the case of a record without a cover from a different country to be placed inside a cover that had no record? it sometimes happens.

But the labels themselves are not exactly the same as any that can be found currently at the PFArchives http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DiscTOC.htm

Some European and some commonwealth countries used the yellow Harvest label for their Dark Side pressings. But they usually state the country on the label itself.

Edit:
There are instances of "The Gramophone Company" and "World Copyright Ltd" appearing together on a Dark Side label is on early UK pressings, before the credit was changed to "Pink Floyd Music Publ.", but those are on the usual black label with outlined triangle.

Could that be a rare case of an early label that used the old yellow Harvest design that was usual for the previous UK albums (Obscured, Meddle, Atom...)? Those had the "EMI" box on them just like yours. But that's highly unusual for a UK Dark Side release, as all are known to be black with the triangle.

Sorry that this isn't being useful at all, and it only adds to the mystery.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Your pressing is an interesting oddity and I have looked in the recently published reference book 'Any Colour You Like: The Dark Side of the Moon on Vinyl' by Stefano Tarquini and I do not find a match. For info, the Irish variants are a greener shade ie not the bright yellow as shown in your images.

Sorry I cannot help, I will forward the question to the author at tarquinis[at]gmail.com ... feel free to follow up direct, keep us posted.
theembryo
Axe
Axe

Post by theembryo »

Hello everyone, thanks to Tim for alerting me.
As soon as I get the LP at my home, I will analyze it.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

theembryo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:37 pm Hello everyone, thanks to Tim for alerting me.
As soon as I get the LP at my home, I will analyze it.
^^^
Great news, so Stafano is a member of this forum, here's hoping we can resolve this issue soon.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Have there been any results or updates to this?