The Beatles Now and Then

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Beatles Now and Then

Post by Keith Jordan »

The Beatles are releasing a new song Now and Then, featuring John Lennon and the rest of the band. Similar to Free As A Bird. This song was done around the same time, I believe, but the quality of the recording plus the technology to fix it available back then, was not sufficient to get the project over the line.

Thoughts on it being released now?

“NOW AND THEN” TO BE RELEASED WORLDWIDE
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2 AT 2PM GMT / 10AM EDT / 7AM PDT

THE BEATLES’ 1962-1966 (‘THE RED ALBUM’) AND 1967-1970 (‘THE BLUE ALBUM’) COLLECTIONS EXPANDED, MIXED IN STEREO & DOLBY ATMOS FOR 2023 EDITION RELEASES OUT NOVEMBER 10

London – October 26, 2023 – Together and apart, The Beatles have always had a talent for the unexpected. And now, 2023 brings one of the most anticipated releases of their long and endlessly eventful history. “Now And Then” is the last Beatles song – written and sung by John Lennon, developed and worked on by Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, and now finally finished by Paul and Ringo over four decades later.

“Now And Then” will be released worldwide at 2pm GMT / 10am EDT / 7am PDT on Thursday, November 2 by Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe. The double A-side single pairs the last Beatles song with the first: the band’s 1962 debut UK single, “Love Me Do,” a truly fitting full-circle counterpart to “Now And Then.” Both songs are mixed in stereo and Dolby Atmos, and the release features original cover art by renowned artist Ed Ruscha. The new music video for “Now And Then” will debut on Friday, November 3. More details including global premiere plans will be announced.

The story of “Now And Then”

The story of “Now And Then” begins in the late 1970s, when John recorded a demo with vocals and piano at his home in New York’s Dakota Building. In 1994, his wife, Yoko Ono Lennon, gave the recording to Paul, George and Ringo, along with John’s demos for “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love,” which were both completed as new Beatles songs and respectively released as singles in 1995 and 1996, as part of The Beatles Anthology project. At the same time, Paul, George and Ringo also recorded new parts and completed a rough mix for “Now And Then” with producer Jeff Lynne. At that point, technological limitations prevented John’s vocals and piano from being separated to achieve the clear, unclouded mix needed to finish the song. “Now And Then” was shelved, with a hope that one day it would be revisited.

Cut to 2021, and the release of “The Beatles: Get Back” docuseries, directed by Peter Jackson, which astonished viewers with its award-winning film and audio restoration. Using WingNut Films’ MAL audio technology, Jackson’s team had de-mixed the film’s mono soundtrack, managing to isolate instruments and vocals, and all the individual voices within The Beatles’ conversations. This achievement opened the way to 2022’s new mix of Revolver, sourced directly from the four-track master tapes. This led on to a question: what could now be done with the “Now And Then” demo? Peter Jackson and his sound team, led by Emile de la Rey, applied the same technique to John’s original home recording, preserving the clarity and integrity of his original vocal performance by separating it from the piano.

In 2022, Paul and Ringo set about completing the song. Besides John’s vocal, “Now And Then” includes electric and acoustic guitar recorded in 1995 by George, Ringo’s new drum part, and bass, guitar and piano from Paul, which matches John’s original playing. Paul added a slide guitar solo inspired by George; he and Ringo also contributed backing vocals to the chorus.

In Los Angeles, Paul oversaw a Capitol Studios recording session for the song’s wistful, quintessentially Beatles string arrangement, written by Giles Martin, Paul and Ben Foster. Paul and Giles also added one last, wonderfully subtle touch: backing vocals from the original recordings of “Here, There And Everywhere,” “Eleanor Rigby” and “Because,” woven into the new song using the techniques perfected during the making of the LOVE show and album. The finished track was produced by Paul and Giles, and mixed by Spike Stent.

Paul says: “There it was, John’s voice, crystal clear. It’s quite emotional. And we all play on it, it’s a genuine Beatles recording. In 2023 to still be working on Beatles music, and about to release a new song the public haven’t heard, I think it’s an exciting thing.”

Ringo says: “It was the closest we’ll ever come to having him back in the room, so it was very emotional for all of us. It was like John was there, you know. It’s far out.”

Olivia Harrison says: “Back in 1995, after several days in the studio working on the track, George felt the technical issues with the demo were insurmountable and concluded that it was not possible to finish the track to a high enough standard. If he were here today, Dhani and I know he would have whole-heartedly joined Paul and Ringo in completing the recording of ‘Now And Then.’”

Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: The Beatles Now and Then

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Interested. Still think Cry Baby Cry should have been placed onto this remaster of 1967-1970.
Now And Then does sound messy if they have to extract bits from other songs. I'd rather they let it stand on its own.
And "Free As A Bird". I've just reminded myself of all those years ago on first hearing it and thinking:
"So John just took the melody of Wined And Dined and slowed it down?".

Is it just me on that one? "Wiiiiiined and dined" "Freeee as a bird". Have we a musicologist on the forum?
But other than that, let this be thy last scream, Beatles!

EDIT: Played them back to back and it's all in my head!
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:25 pm "So John just took the melody of Wined And Dined and slowed it down?".

Is it just me on that one? "Wiiiiiined and dined" "Freeee as a bird". Have we a musicologist on the forum?
But other than that, let this be thy last scream, Beatles!
Free As A Bird has a one note difference to Wined And Dined if I remember correctly.
Both brilliant songs
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Sounds great, I really like it. I wonder what John Lennon would have thought about it being released.
Eclips
Axe
Axe

Post by Eclips »

Beautiful and moving song. Love the instrumental part starting at 2:33, very intense.
I'm finally into Beatles, and have been discovering more of them during this year. I need to check the solo careers too.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It'll never be my favorite track, but it'll also never be my LEAST favorite track.

Still better than "Wild Honey Pie."
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Just beautiful. Teared up listening to it.
Even my girlfriend - who, for the record, is not a Beatles fan and only likes a handful of their songs - started tearing up.
Just beautiful
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

The "finished" version omits one of the three sections of Lennon's sketch.

I don't wanna lose you, oh no, no, no
Abuse you or confuse you
Oh no, no, no, sweet darlin'
But if you have to go away
If you have to go, doo doo doo...

It's just... gone!
And I can't unhear it!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Peter Jackson directed video. Beautiful, disturbing, unnerving and brilliant

https://youtu.be/Opxhh9Oh3rg?si=mRaJuc8fiEe3zrSn
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've only heard the final song a few times, though I was familiar with it from bootlegs.

I find the whole thing a bit strange. E.g. the happy bouncing John Lennon in the video.

Personally the difficulty I have with all the more recent Beatles songs is that I feel that Lennon has used his best songs for his 1980s solo albums, including planned and posthumously released albums. As a song I don't think it matches up to the Beatles classics, or even Lennon's solo songs. It's nicely produced in some ways, but fundamentally it isn't an excellent song.

If I imagine hearing this song done by an artist that I hadn't heard of before, then would I be interested? I think no.

I'll listen to it more.

The production work that has been done is impressive - e.g. John's isolated vocal sounding quite good, to my ears.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Wolfpack wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:05 pm The "finished" version omits one of the three sections of Lennon's sketch.

I don't wanna lose you, oh no, no, no
Abuse you or confuse you
Oh no, no, no, sweet darlin'
But if you have to go away
If you have to go, doo doo doo...

It's just... gone!
And I can't unhear it!
Agreed ...
https://youtu.be/BnEeMXY81Cs
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I'd heard the demo before - decades ago in fact. They've technically done a good job on the song to make it sound like a real production. But, I think that fundamentally the song isn't good enough. Lennon wrote better songs at that time (as well as other times), but they were used for solo recordings. Imagine (no pun intended) if 'I'm Losing You' had been left over and given the Beatles treatment. Even 'I Don't Wanna Face It' would have been a much better place to start.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

When was the decision made to omit the 2nd of the three sections?
(verse, pre-chorus, chorus - as identified by David Bennett)
Was it during the 'Anthology' sessions in 1994-1995? Or recently, in 2022-2023?
In other words, did Harrison contribute to two or three of Lennon's sections?

Some argue the 2nd second section (pre-chorus) is lyrically too unfinished.
Although this was also the case with "whatever happened to..." in 'Free As a Bird'.

'Now and Then' only contains an instrumental section as huge new addition.
Again, when was this decision made? Does it contain Harrison?
The piano melody hints at the missing secion, using the phrase "I don't wanna lose you".

Here's somehow a fan remix of the 2023 version with all three sections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1g46aGYtjI
The Beatles - Now And Then (Missing Section "I Don't Wanna Lose You" Added, Complete Version)

I'm mostly worried about everything getting deleted due to copyright.
As if the three instead of two sections never existed.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Hahahaha :lol: Imagine if the Floyd did this and there was somewhere footage of Roger Waters throwing Rick Wright's complimentary watch into a swimming pool? :lol: