Homebrew Beer

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Homebrew Beer

Post by Keith Jordan »

Anyone make their own homebrew beer? I just bottled my first batch should be ready in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be drinkable!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Homebrew Beer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I don't really drink alcohol. During lockdown I made my own ginger beer, using bread yeast :) It worked better than I expected. It must have had some alcohol in it, but so little that I couldn't taste it and didn't feel any effects. It was very fizzy indeed.

Beer takes weeks to make? In warm weather my ginger beer was ready in about two days.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I do like a ginger beer, nice with a gin. :D

My beer brewing has been taking 4 weeks.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:53 pm I do like a ginger beer, nice with a gin. :D

My beer brewing has been taking 4 weeks.
What takes the time? Is it due to the yeast taking a long time to ferment? Or are there additional steps in the process?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The initial brew day is quick: simmer the malt for an hour, then boil with bittering hops for an hour. Then its into the fermenter bucket with yeast for two weeks, dry hopping after a few days to add more flavour. Then its into the bottles for two weeks with a little sugar water where it bottle conditions and carbonates.

My first batch of homebrew should be finished by 28th November so looking forward to having some. I hope I did it right and it doesn't taste like 2 week old beer drip tray filth!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 pm The initial brew day is quick: simmer the malt for an hour, then boil with bittering hops for an hour. Then its into the fermenter bucket with yeast for two weeks, dry hopping after a few days to add more flavour. Then its into the bottles for two weeks with a little sugar water where it bottle conditions and carbonates.

My first batch of homebrew should be finished by 28th November so looking forward to having some. I hope I did it right and it doesn't taste like 2 week old beer drip tray filth!
So how was it???
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I must say it turned out decent considering it was my first batch.

I have another 2 five litre batches on the go as I type ready for Xmas. £0.40p a pint is much better than £4.80 down the pub!