The Smashing Pumpkins

Post by Meddler »

-All Things Smashing-

Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

I've have a couple of their albums.
Siamese Dream and melancollie. .Class act.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Yeha i had a lot of their albums but they were stolen about a year ago...the inky oone i rebought was Melancolie and the infinite sadness
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I first heard them on the Singles soundtrack (Drown is STILL one of the greatest songs I've ever heard,) and vowed to keep an eye out for an album.

When the video for Cherub Rock premiered on MTV, well...to say I was blown away would be an understatement. I went the next morning and waited for the mall to open so that I could buy Siamese Dream, which I firmly believe is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

While I respect Billy Corgan's ambition, I have to say that I think Mellan Collie didn't need to be a two disc set...and Adore only underscored my fear that Corgan had lost his blooming mind.

Machina didn't assuage that notion in the least.

I think SP are a shining example of the promise of the early nineties that wound up getting puffed up with it's own self-importance, and thus never being truly met.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Cherub Rock............class
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

They are one of my favorites!!! Siamese Dream is one of the greatest albums of all time. Ive enjoyed all of their albums, especially Mellon Collie and the Infinite Saddness, although I agree with mosespa that compaired to their earlier stuff, it isn't near as good.

Ive been a little disapointed with Zwan, kinda trendy, which is the exact opposite of how I felt about SP. But its all good music. Ive found that the only people who don't like them don't like them because they don't like Crogan's voice.

Anyone else heard their cover of Stevie Nick's Landslide on the Pieces Iscariot album? Loved it.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Pices Iscariot is a GREAT album considering that it's a collection of B-sides.

Even The Aeroplane Flies High has some great stuff on it.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

seamusz wrote:They are one of my favorites!!! *

Ive been a little disapointed with Zwan, kinda trendy, which is the exact opposite of how I felt about SP. **

Anyone else heard their cover of Stevie Nick's Landslide on the Pieces Iscariot album? Loved it. ***
*Mine as well. Ingenious, to say the least. I had the pleasure of meeting Billy Corgan Halloween 1997...I thought he seemed like a stand up guy, despite all the rumors that he wasn't the nicest person on the planet. I was also overly thrilled, seeing as how my boyfriend at the time's band just played, and Corgan had commented on how fantastic they were. (And I hadn't mentioned it was my boyfriend's band...so it's not like he was just trying to be a nice guy in saying that.) I'm glad I got to see them before they split up. I was devastated when their break up was announced; felt like I'd just lost one of my best friends.

**Zwan recently broke up anyway.

***That cover is amazing. If you like that, you'd probably really love the song "Once In Awhile" on the "Ava Adore" single. It's just Corgan and a piano. Beautiful.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I like them.... Got a couple of pictures of Dave playing with Billy Corgan; Rick's in one of them, too....(I'll gladly e-mail them to Keith for posting, if anyone's interested in seeing them...)
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:I like them.... Got a couple of pictures of Dave playing with Billy Corgan; Rick's in one of them, too....(I'll gladly e-mail them to Keith for posting, if anyone's interested in seeing them...)
I used to have video clip from news where they play together. it was in hall of fame thing or something.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:I like them.... Got a couple of pictures of Dave playing with Billy Corgan; Rick's in one of them, too....(I'll gladly e-mail them to Keith for posting, if anyone's interested in seeing them...)
definately!!!!
SydsMadcapGirl wrote:***That cover is amazing. If you like that, you'd probably really love the song "Once In Awhile" on the "Ava Adore" single. It's just Corgan and a piano. Beautiful.
Got it and I agree. :D
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Stupidus wrote: it was in hall of fame thing or something.
They played "Wish You Were Here".
I like their beginnings most, when they were more agressive and noisy, but "Siamese Dream" is really a classic. And some of their videos are great.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Anna-Roza wrote:They played "Wish You Were Here".
They've also done a cover of Syd's "Terrapin"...pretty good. I have it if anyone wants to hear it. :)
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

For the big pumpkins fans:

Do you honestly like billy corgan's atrocious singing voice?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

decampos wrote:For the big pumpkins fans:

Do you honestly like billy corgan's atrocious singing voice?
Yes...on album, not so much live.

To me, Corgan's voice is no more atrocious than Roger's.