Flaming lips UK shows

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Cheers

Drafsak, as a long term fan what did you think about the album yoshimi battles the pink robots?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Drafsak, as a long term fan what did you think about the album yoshimi battles the pink robots?
I like it in the same way as I like all of pink floyd ie because it is the flaming lips. It is a double edge sword, it is more commercial than their previous releases and has made them more popular, which is good as with success comes spin off music, a spin off cd with some new music is being released its called "ego tripping at the gates of hell" it has 4 new tracks on it. Also yosimi is being rereleased with a bonus dvd of live footage etc and two tours in one year these are the plus points. On the down side now they are so popular everybody is "in" to them and you now run the risk of not getting tickets to the concerts. I have been listening to them a lot reciently - ever since I stopped listening to Pink Floyd, which is getting close to two months with out lisening to a single Pink Floyd track.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

If you are going to the show in Edinburgh you're in for a treat. A great new band are backing them up................Alfie...absolute class,enjoy.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I'll watch out for them

I had no problems getting tickets to edinburgh atall, it took them 5 months to sell out the usher hall and 2 months to sell out a smaller place in razorland so they're not THAT famous right now

Recently i bought Atlast The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid box set, love some of it but the old stuff seems to be less original and i feel that album Cloud Taste Metalic was their lowest point, gotta say if their increasing popularity has lead them to get more creative then i'm all in favour of them turning huge
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Amazing...

First came Stevie Burns who had a hilarious video even if his songs were a bit unmemorable, not a bad way to begin the concert really and it beat the 45 minutes i'd been waiting so far

Alfie next, these boys definitly have potentiol, even if they acted a bit to much like the flaming lips i think they're one to watch, songs were defininitly underdeveloped but i'm presuming it's early days so far, nice retro band

And the lips themselves... Wow is the only word, all the balloons, fake blood, lights, animal suits, sun suits, glitter balls, megaphones, videos and giant hands, it was like a rock circuis on drugs and the whole night seemed to have an almost satanic feel about it, utterly brilliant presentation

Only problem i had with the gig was the lack of old songs on the schedule, but it was still really good seeing some of the recent classics done, a brilliant ending with White Christmas to, wonderful.

And yeah, other than breathe being replaced with white christmas it was the same set of songs as the initial post said, definitly a night i won't ever forget and i'm definitly seeing them next time they come to town