Weird order of the songs in White Album(casette) and others

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Weird order of the songs in White Album(casette) and others

Post by JML »

I have wanted to ask for a long time if anybody knows why is the order of the songs changed for example in The Beatles' White Album and John Lennon's Imagine in casette -version?
In Imagine, Jealous Guy was second song in casette version but in CD it was third and in The White Album many songs were in different order compared with CD-version. I listen very little casettes so I haven't noticed this in other casettes.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Don't know, probably just to fit the tracks most efficiently on the tape?
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

But if I recall from my dimm last summer, in Imagine only Jealous Guy and Crippled Inside was in "wrong" places. Well... I can understand that in White Album it could be that fitting problem. I'm looking for some wizard who could reveal this mystery... Maybe Oz could help me...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

This was a common phenomenon with cassettes...the reason for this is to try to make each side approximately equal in length so as not to have ten minutes of blank tape at the end of a side.

I wondered about this myself, and now laugh when I remember a friend of mine remarking how awesome Rush was because on most of their cassettes, side one and side two were all within ten seconds of being the same length.

At that point in time, we were all listening to cassettes, not albums (CD's were around, though not quite like they are now,) so we didn't know that it had a great deal to do with changing the order of songs around.

Born To Run by Springsteen really suffered from a song-order change around. Song order was switched, songs from side one were put on side two and vice versa...listening to the vinyl album (as well as the CD) was a surreal experience when every third song wasn't what I expected it to be.