Good cover songs / bad cover songs

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Good cover songs / bad cover songs

Post by Prkl »

:evil: Just heard No Doubt's cover of the Talk Talk song It's My Life, and it was one of the worst things I've heard for a long time..... The original version is so damn good, so I really can't see the point in this, is it supposed to be a tribute of some kind, or just a money making scam, since it IS a very good song... :shock: :cry:
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Well it depends on gets the royalties.
Look a the Verve with Bitter Sweet Symphony they never made a penny out of it, so it's not always a money making scheme, maybe for a publicity
boost instead.As for the cover of it's my life, it's not a patch on the original.
Maybe no doubt are doing this to boost their career which has been in freefall for a while now.
Last edited by Jack Dempsey on Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krazydiamond
Embryo
Embryo

covers are lack of knowledge

Post by Krazydiamond »

frankly speaking,
covers are rarely tribute to a great. infact it is lack of idea or means of cheap money. it usually kills a song. it may help a begginer to show his skills at the instrument to get noticed by the masses. but on the long run it symbolises lack of creativity.
how many of u disagree with me?
shine on
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

What really made me mad with that No Doubt's cover was that the presenter just said something like "that was No Doubt with It's My Life", no mention of Talk Talk, so many people will probably think that No Doubt managed to write a good song...
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Well, as Ive mentioned before, I think a cover version should be an alternative rather than a copy. If the song has been radically reworked then it can be interesting, theres some fantastic covers on the Saucerful Of Pink album that show the songs in a completely different light which is always interesting, altho not necessarily better. If the cover is just a copy then it seems pretty pointless and certainly shows a lack of imagination.
Krazydiamond
Embryo
Embryo

cheap gimmick

Post by Krazydiamond »

Well frankly speaking,
Covers show a lack of creativity. In the beginning of the carrier of any musician, covers might help him to get noticed for the skill he has. but on the long run it show how he has ran out of ideas. Some covers totally ruin the classics. Don't go by cheap imitations, appreciate quality and originality.
shine on........
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Well here's some good cover versions that I can think of, that a radically different from the original:

The Sisters of Mercy - Confide In Me (originally by Kylie Minogue :shock: )
Gun - Word Up (original by Cameo)
Japan - All Tomorrow's Parties (original by Velvet Underground)
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Jack Dempsey wrote:Well it depends on gets the royalties.
Look a the Verve with Bitter Sweet Symphony they never made a penny out of it, so it's not always a money making scheme, maybe for a publicity
boost instead.As for the cover of it's my life, it's not a patch on the original.
Maybe no doubt are doing this to boost their career which has been in freefall for a while now.
Unless Im mistaken, Bitter Sweet Symphony isn't a cover, its their own song, but they made the mistake of getting their tune from a Rolling Stones song. So the only reason they didn't get rich on it is because there wasn't anything left after The Rolling Stones and the courts took their slice.

About covers... I like some don't like others. It depends on the quality and the band. If nsync remade a floyd song, I don't care how good it sounded, someone would die! :twisted:
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Most of the cover versions suck, but there are a few really great:

Hey Joe performed by Jimi Hendrix
All Along The Watchtower performed by Jimi Hendrix
With A Little Help From My Friends performed by Joe Cocker
Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen performed by Santana
Evil Ways performed by Santana
A Love Supreme performed by John McLaughlin/Carlos Santana band
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Flame-Sky Diver wrote: With A Little Help From My Friends performed by Joe Cocker
Thats exactly how a cover version should be, a completely different arrangement of the song, altho Im not really a fan of that particular song I do admire the work that went into the cover, very inspired!
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Flame-Sky Diver wrote: With A Little Help From My Friends performed by Joe Cocker
Thats exactly how a cover version should be, a completely different arrangement of the song, altho Im not really a fan of that particular song I do admire the work that went into the cover, very inspired!
Yeah, that version stinks in my ear's opinion.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:
simpledumbpilot wrote: Thats exactly how a cover version should be, a completely different arrangement of the song, altho Im not really a fan of that particular song I do admire the work that went into the cover, very inspired!
Yeah, that version stinks in my ear's opinion.
Yes, but John Belushi's Joe Cocker impression on SNL saved it--a cover of a cover, so to speak. :wink:
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

The House of the Rising Sun the same song, by three different artists with different degree of success, from great to repulsive:

1.- Bachman Turner Overdrive: B class band that plays the best cover of this song I ever heard, respects the blues sound with an excelent mix of classic rock and bluegrass.

2.- Bob Dylan: Good version, but offers nothing new.

3.- The Beatles: Repulsive, terrible, the worst cover of this song I ever had the bad luck to listen.

Iv
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Oh you have to check out ''House of the Rising Sun'' by Frijid Pink, it has one of the most amazing guitar sounds ever and is easily my fave version of the track, shame about the fade at the end tho.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Do you really wanna hear a BAD cover song??... try to find "Wish you were here" by a chilean band named "Glup!", it's the worst thing I've EVER heard!!!!! :-& (I remember once hearing the guys from that band saying on radio that they received an email from Dave and another from Roger saying their cover was great!! what a lie!!! :lol: )