Good cover songs / bad cover songs

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

Ivan_2068 wrote:The House of the Rising Sun the same song, by three different artists with different degree of success, from great to repulsive:

1.- Bachman Turner Overdrive: B class band that plays the best cover of this song I ever heard, respects the blues sound with an excelent mix of classic rock and bluegrass.

2.- Bob Dylan: Good version, but offers nothing new.

3.- The Beatles: Repulsive, terrible, the worst cover of this song I ever had the bad luck to listen.

Iv?n
I thought Dylan's was one of the first or even the first of the altered lyrics (origanally it's supposed to be a bout a brothel and more obviously so) and The Animals covered his version.

When did the Beatles do House of the rising sun? they did lot sof dogy covers duing the get back/let it be sessions
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

When did the Beatles do House of the rising sun? they did lot sof dogy covers duing the get back/let it be sessions
I think you're right, it's from the Let it Be sessions, but the cover is terrible, they sound like totally stoned ot drunk, didn't even know (or remember) the lyrics, try to sound like yhey are joking except Harrison who even get's angry at one point.

Oh you have to check out ''House of the Rising Sun'' by Frijid Pink, it has one of the most amazing guitar sounds ever and is easily my fave version of the track, shame about the fade at the end tho.
It's a great version simpledumbpilot, but I stay with the BTO, the Canadian accent of Randy Bachman gives that New Orleans atmosphere perfect for the song.

Iv
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Some good ones:
Bowie: Across the Universe (original by the Beatles)
Franco Battiato: Impressioni di Settembre (original by PFM)
Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower (original by Dylan)

Each one has some nice twists compared to the original ones. What's the point in doing the song like it has been done before?
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Heikki wrote: Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower (original by Dylan)
amen even Bob Dylan likes jimis version more. :)
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Not so much a cover in the sense of a song, but more in the sense of coverart:

The coverart of Live 93 by the Orb. Which is something like a cover that covers coverart... and it is not even a lame cover of coverart, but one that certainly takes an original stab at the original...

dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

ganaffe wrote:Not so much a cover in the sense of a song, but more in the sense of coverart:

The coverart of Live 93 by the Orb. Which is something like a cover that covers coverart... and it is not even a lame cover of coverart, but one that certainly takes an original stab at the original...

Yeah, but it is a respectful dig. You may or may not know that The Orb have a lot of respect for PF and have even sampled much of their music. Some would say the wrecked the music, but really the intention is to tribute the music in the style in which they have talent.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:Yeah, but it is a respectful dig. You may or may not know that The Orb have a lot of respect for PF and have even sampled much of their music. Some would say the wrecked the music, but really the intention is to tribute the music in the style in which they have talent.
I don't know much about there music, but I own this album (bought it just because I was amazed by the coverart) and I think it's a wonderful record... I haven't heard much trance/ambient or whatever I should call this, that sounds so dynamic.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

ganaffe wrote:
dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:Yeah, but it is a respectful dig. You may or may not know that The Orb have a lot of respect for PF and have even sampled much of their music. Some would say the wrecked the music, but really the intention is to tribute the music in the style in which they have talent.
I don't know much about there music, but I own this album (bought it just because I was amazed by the coverart) and I think it's a wonderful record... I haven't heard much trance/ambient or whatever I should call this, that sounds so dynamic.
I love The Orb myself. The newest album Cydonia is one of my favorite albums presently. It also contains some Fripp guitar (the guy from King Crimson) as back ground on a few tracks. If you know Frip, you can most certainly recognize it right away.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Flame-Sky Diver wrote: With A Little Help From My Friends performed by Joe Cocker
Thats exactly how a cover version should be, a completely different arrangement of the song, altho Im not really a fan of that particular song I do admire the work that went into the cover, very inspired!
Exactly.

On the House Of The Rising Sun - great song, I prefer the Animals version.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Prkl wrote:Well here's some good cover versions that I can think of... Japan - All Tomorrow's Parties (original by Velvet Underground)
Don' know the original but I like Japan's version.

David Bowie - See Emily play (great freaky Bach-like ending)
This Mortal Coil - Late Night (I heard Barrett's version later and that was quite a shock but love it as well).

Most of the times I prefer the version of the song I heard as the first. Sometimes that's the original, sometimes the cover. It's just what you are used to.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

rosm wrote:David Bowie - See Emily play (great freaky Bach-like ending)
Ooooohhh, I love that song. In fact the whole 'pin-ups' album is one freakin' great good-cover-manifesto. His versions of 'Here comes the night', 'I can't explain', 'Anyway, anywhere, anyhow' and 'Don't bring me down' are probably my favorites.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

ganaffe wrote:
rosm wrote:David Bowie - See Emily play (great freaky Bach-like ending)
Ooooohhh, I love that song. In fact the whole 'pin-ups' album is one freakin' great good-cover-manifesto. His versions of 'Here comes the night', 'I can't explain', 'Anyway, anywhere, anyhow' and 'Don't bring me down' are probably my favorites.
Yes! I love that album. The Emily cover made me want to find out what the *early* PF sounded like since all I'd been exposed to at the time was the 70s Floyd.

Another good cover is Roxy Music doing Neil Young's "Like a Hurricaine."

A really bad cover is Siouxsie and the Banshees murdering (and not in the way you would expect either) the Beatles' "Dear Prudence." It's so tame and lame. It's one of my favorite Beatles' songs, I was hoping they would make it seem even more sinister or gothic, but no.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:...A really bad cover is Siouxsie and the Banshees murdering (and not in the way you would expect either) the Beatles' "Dear Prudence." It's so tame and lame. It's one of my favorite Beatles' songs, I was hoping they would make it seem even more sinister or gothic, but no.
Not comparable but I actually like both.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

good cover versions

John Lennon - Stand by me
David Gilmour - Terrapin (live at Meltdown)
REM & Natalie Merchant (- Leaving on a jet plane/sunday morning (live.something I found on soulseek - she sings leaving on a jet plain, while Stipe sings Sunday Morning shouldn't work but it does :shock: :lol: )

bad cover version

Sheryl Corw - first cut is the deepest
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:A really bad cover is Siouxsie and the Banshees murdering (and not in the way you would expect either) the Beatles' "Dear Prudence." It's so tame and lame. It's one of my favorite Beatles' songs, I was hoping they would make it seem even more sinister or gothic, but no.
I didnt like that either but I do love the ''Through The Looking Glass'' album, quite an inspired and varied selection of covers, I especially loved what they did with Kraftwerk's ''Hall Of Mirrors'', I may even like that more than the original!! oh and kicking the album off with a Sparks number was a very welcome bonus :D