Drums
10%
Bass
17%
Guitar
52%
Keyboards
10%
Saxophone (or anything else that can be blown)
No votes
Vocals
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 29

ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Who's playing what?

Post by ganaffe »

Hey people,

I've been messing around here for some time now and noticed people talking about playing music. I'm interested in what you all have going on. What instument do you play? Besides that, do you play on your own or in a band, what music do you play? Just tell me, I like to know.

I played keys (mainly piano) for a long time but never in a band. Later I switched to bass. God, I like that instrument, laying down an easy groove, and hear the music circling around you, just pushing the band forward...
Way back, I played in a few rock/grunge/hardcore/metal bands. But in the end I realized that there's more to music than trashing things :wink:
So a few years ago, with a few friends of mine, we started a group just experimenting with a lot of styles (oldfashioned rock like Deep Purple, more Floydian oriented stuff, a lot of blues, even some funk etc.). But we ended up playing reggae... yeah, I know some of you guys hate that, I did too actually, but things can change. And were rolling now, we're getting more and more gigs, that's really exciting.
This year I started another band with two old friends of mine: one guy creating drumbeats and samples with computers and playing synths, me on bass again, and one guy on guitar. Still just fooling around and figuring out what can be done with such a combination. But were heading for the Floydian mood, i think, mellow symphonic soundcapes with some real nice guitarwork. This guy plays really cool stuff, you should hear him (I'm getting some guitar lessons from him now, btw).

Well, that's my story, what's yours?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I play guitar, bass, drums and can pretty much get what I want out of a keyboard (even if it means recording each hand's part seperately...in other words, cheating :P )

I've played in a few local bands, one of which was noted for it's 45 minute long PF tribute set.

I had been playing bass with some guys, but I got tired of some BS that I saw but no one else was noticing, so I left.

Right now (even as I type this) I am tweaking some of my old demos to put onto CD for some people I know who want to hear what I've been up to musically speaking...not musicians, just people I know...I'm also working on a larger concept piece and writing some new material all at the same time.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I play guitar. I have an acoustic and an electric. I'm not that good yet (I can't even take a clean F), but I'm getting better. However, I'd also like to pick up drums someday, being an Eric Carr wannabe and all...
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

I have an accoustic guitar that I don't play enough anymore. Heck, you inspire me. I'll pick it up today. I'm chord proficiant, but I've not spent enough time to play detailed notes. One exception - Wish You Were Here. I practiced that for a long time, and got pretty good at most lead parts. It has been almost a year since I picked up my hollowed axe though.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I play guitar, piano (never did much with keyboards), harmonica, mouth harp, and I play a mean trombone!
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I play mainly guitar, a bit keyboards, I'd like to buy bass someday.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

I play guitar and bass. I used to be the guitar player in a PF tribute band. We used to play old PF stuff, like an extended version of 'Interstellar Overdrive'... but then the guys hired another guitar player, and wanted to turn to be a Metallica tribute band :-& .... so I left the band. Now I play on my own, have a couple of songs I wrote and a bunch of lyrics to which I will, SOMEDAY, TRY to make some music :wink:
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I write lyrics too. I have a rather good chorus for a song about a UFO.
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

The bass is my instrument. I play some guitar, and even some drums if forced to. I've even bought a harmonica which I will learn to play properly someday, or at least that's what I hope.
The best thing about playing bass is that if you write songs, you don't have to worry if the perfect chord is something like A#9add13. You just play your note or two, and let the guitarist and/or keyboardist suffer :wink:
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Drums
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Owwww yeah... the first drummer clocked in :D
Nice to know what you're all playing.

I like that album btw, elegant gypsy. Some songs are a bit to much on the NPM (notes per minute) for me, but there's some really good stuff on it.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Gonzo wrote:Drums
Let's hope you survive.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

ganaffe wrote:Owwww yeah... the first drummer clocked in :D
Nice to know what you're all playing.

I like that album btw, elegant gypsy. Some songs are a bit to much on the NPM (notes per minute) for me, but there's some really good stuff on it.
HAHA, Thanks...yes, Elegant Gypsy is an awesome album! One of my new favorites of all time! :D
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I play guitar, electri and acoustic and trumpet. I voted for guitar because I like that instrument better.
Maybe I will play bass one day, I think it is a great instrument.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

guitar. im finally going to classical guitar courses. :)
Saxophone (or anything else that can be blown)
dirty. so many chances to make joke that wouldnt survive through these rules. :)