Drums
10%
Bass
17%
Guitar
52%
Keyboards
10%
Saxophone (or anything else that can be blown)
No votes
Vocals
3%
Other
7%

Total votes: 29

Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Bass. Not very well, but still... :lol:
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Spoons and the wash board !
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I was playing the bass
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Bass!!! Also learning guitar, and, when I was younger, I was taught to play a flute (I think I have to come back to it - Jethro Tull rules! :D )
I wish I could play Chapman sick, I would be probably the first person in Poland playing it, and probably the first woman ever to do it... :wink: :lol: Amazing sound. And I have much more problems with my right hand (I wish I could clang well) than with taking right notes with the left one. And playing Chapman stick, you have to have "two left hands" :lol: !
Last edited by Anna-Roza on Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Anna-Roza wrote:Bass!!!
Nice to know there are so many bass players around on this forum :D

But what the :-# is a:
Chapman stick
?
never heard of it :-s
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

A short definition from The Elephant Talk KC website FAQ:

"The Stick, invented by Emmett Chapman, is a 10 or 12-stringed guitar-like electrical instrument designed for two-handed tapping. Stick Enterprises can be reached at stick at earthlink dot net. Their Web page can be found at: http://www.stickent.com/
Stickwire, the e-mail newsletter for Stick players and for those curious about the Stick has its Web page at: http://clever.net/stick/stickwire. Stickwire itself is currently running, but not in digest form. "

One of the first brave people to play this terribly complicated instrument was Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Tony Levin Band). In KC he was replaced by Trey Gunn (who also played with Sylvian and Sunday All Over the World, as well as with his own bands).

Here's Tony Levin playing Chapman stick:
Pretty scary, huh :wink: ?
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

:shock:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Tony Levin is a maniac.

Some friends of mine went to see Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe back in high school (that's the reformed classic Yes line-up for those who don't know) and Tony Levin was playing bass.

Now...Mr. Levin doesn't use a pick (obviously) but Chris Squire (Yes' bass player) did. In order to simulate the attack of a pick, Mr. Levin apparently taped popsicle sticks to his fingers.

Tony Levin is a SERIOUSLY under-rated musician, I feel.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

mosespa wrote:Tony Levin is a maniac.
That's why I love him :twisted: :wink: !
mosespa wrote: Now...Mr. Levin doesn't use a pick (obviously) but Chris Squire (Yes' bass player) did. In order to simulate the attack of a pick, Mr. Levin apparently taped popsicle sticks to his fingers.
He still experiments with such things... For example, KC's great song "People" used to be played live by him with very long sticks taped to his fingers :shock:
It's seems that there are no limits for him. He should write a book "10000000000 freaky ways in which you can play bass and still sound great"....
mosespa wrote:Tony Levin is a SERIOUSLY under-rated musician, I feel.
You're 100% right :(
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Is he really underrated? Most people I know and who know Tony think of him as a great bassplayer. So do I, I love his work with King Crimson, Peter Gabriel and with Bozzio-Levin-Stevens (don't know if this is the right order...).
btw I play classical and other guitars and recently I found (!) a fretless bass so now I have 2 basses as well. I also think of the computer as an instrument which I play. I don't have any of my music on line but is there any chance of hearing anything on the net by any of you? I recently listened to Skewed Perception and that was nice getting to know what some people are up to.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

rosm wrote:I don't have any of my music on line but is there any chance of hearing anything on the net by any of you?
If you are anything like remotely into reggae, you could go to http://www.humanrites.com and download some music from the latest demo by a reggae band i'm playing in.

As for my other project, I'm still busy designing some sort of website to make some music available, if i'm ready I'll let you know.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I know there is a third one of these topics floating around out there, but thats okay... I play the guitar and keyboard on occasion. Nothing to write home about, but it keeps me entertained...
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Anna-Roza wrote:
mosespa wrote:Tony Levin is a maniac.
That's why I love him :twisted: :wink: !
mosespa wrote: Now...Mr. Levin doesn't use a pick (obviously) but Chris Squire (Yes' bass player) did. In order to simulate the attack of a pick, Mr. Levin apparently taped popsicle sticks to his fingers.
He still experiments with such things... For example, KC's great song "People" used to be played live by him with very long sticks taped to his fingers :shock:
It's seems that there are no limits for him. He should write a book "10000000000 freaky ways in which you can play bass and still sound great"....
You're 100% right :(
I've seen Tony play live with King Crimson twice and Peter Garbriel 3 times. Also, same goes for Bill Bruford (Bill is to drums what Tony is to Bass). Fantasitic shows. After you see professional musicians like Gabriel, Brufford, Belew, Levin, Zappa, Vai, Fripp.... you can never watch bands same. Seeing them made me more critical of ... yes ... Floyd. When I saw them in 94 it was great, but it certainly was not of the musicianship of the guys I list above (and I'm sure many more).
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

rosm wrote: Is he really underrated?
I'll put it this way...I feel that Tony Levin is ten times the musician that Eddie Van Halen is.

Eddie Van Hales is ten times (at least) as well known as Tony Levin.

Maybe that's not the same thing as being under-rated, but that's was I was getting at.
rosm wrote:I don't have any of my music on line but is there any chance of hearing anything on the net by any of you? I recently listened to Skewed Perception and that was nice getting to know what some people are up to.
Sadly, the only way I can share my music with other people right now is through MSN messenger. But it's better than nothing.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

ganaffe wrote:...If you are anything like remotely into reggae, you could go to http://www.humanrites.com and download some music from the latest demo by a reggae band i'm playing in...
Reggae is not really my cup of tea but I also listened to the Dub side of the moon so why not give your music a try. I don't know much (about) reggae but this is better than UB40 (I know that they don't play real reggae..).