The Verve - Urban Hymns

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

The Verve - Urban Hymns

Post by Sir. Psychedelic Soul »

anyone like The Verve????

urban hymns is an AMAIZNG album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's just pure beautiful music...richard ashcroft is a truly talented musician.......

the drugs don't work
neon wilderness
weeping willow
catching the butterfly
rolling people
space and time
etc...

if you haven't anything off that album besides bittersweet symphony i HIGHLY suggest you download some of the other tunes, esepcaily the ones i listed above!!!! it's one of my FAV albums of all time. its in the top 10 for sure!!!!!!
please give it a listen....
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I dont mind the album, I think it can be a bit bland at times tho, have you heard A Northern Soul? Now that album I do like, ''This Is Music'' has a great classic rock sound, I guess the blame can be partially pointed there for the likes of Oasis but that aside it really is a strong track, add to that the lush ''History'' and I probably dont need to make much more of a case for the album, other than ''No Knock On My Door'' is probably my fave Verve track ever!. A Storm In Heaven is well worth checking out too, if you dont have this album and given that youre a Floyd fan then I really think you'll like the atmosphere of this, its a great artefact of psychedelia early 90's style, hard to believe its 10 years old now. I have fond memories of listening to that album, well worth checking out.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Yeah it's a good album, but i actually prefer his solo stuff.
Rolling people is a class song though
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Gotta admit i preffered A Northern Soul but it's still one of the best british albums from the mid nineties
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I haven't listened to The Verve for a while now. It is time for urban hymns!! A classic album of the 90s. Better than that Oasis tripe by miles.

tripe

tripe [trīp]
n
1. stomach lining of a cow or sheep: the stomach lining of a ruminant such as a cow or sheep, used as food
2. rubbish: something absurd, untrue, or worthless (informal)

[14th century. From Old French , of unknown origin.]
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Urban Hymns in no way compares to either definitly maybe or morning glory IMO

Though i think it is better than anything oasis have done since
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

i like both bands...oasis and verve.....to me those bands are like siblings....there's a lot in common.............

but yeah northern soul is an amazing album as well...but its more rockin' then urban hymns and what i love about it is the spacey atmoshpere a lot of the tunes have............
HypatiaAquae
Axe
Axe

Post by HypatiaAquae »

I'm not the adimirer of the Verve, but they are far better than Oasis and Urban Hymns is the schinzola. Though it took me a few listens to think this.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote:but yeah northern soul is an amazing album as well...but its more rockin' then urban hymns and what i love about it is the spacey atmoshpere a lot of the tunes have............
oh then you really must hear their first album ''A Storm In Heaven'' if you havent already, if you have heard Id like to know your views, I really like the album so it would be nice to see if anyone else feels the same.

I remember once my brother was driving us thru London to a gig and it was raining and he had Urban Hymns on in the car (this was when the album had just been released so it was prior to the overkill), for some reason it just seemed perfect, I do struggle with it a bit at home tho and havent listened to it in ages.
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

urban hymns is the perfect album to listen to at nite or when it's raining....it's just got so much mood and emotion.....i dont thin there is any album can can make me feel so much emotion...not even a PF album as much as urban hymns...
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

The last Richard Ashcroft solo album is great. The track "Nature Is The Law" has become a favourite around these parts, partially I must admit due to the great guest vocal from Brian Wilson. But the album as a whole is very impressive.
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

brian wilson was on natrure is the law??????????????????
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote:brian wilson was on natrure is the law??????????????????
He certainly was! That's him singing backing vocals on the song.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

I love this album, it's too good for words.
RWpinkfloyd45
Knife
Knife

Post by RWpinkfloyd45 »

There is basically only one word that can be used to describe this album ... AWESOME!!!! Bittersweet Symphony is beautiful ... and the rest of the tracks are amazing as well. I also highly recommend this album, and the band, The Verve. 8) :D