Most Underrated Album

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
mosespa

Most Underrated Album

Post by mosespa »

Given that so many of the posts in the Overrated album basically amount to "I don't like this album, so it's overrated" (which is really NOT the definition) I thought I'd start this thread to see what albums you guys think don't get ENOUGH attention.

Parthenon Huxley--Sunny Nights. Okay...I have to admit that there are only two songs on this record that I can recall titles and lyrics for...but those two songs (Chance To Be Loved and Double Our Numbers for those interested) are pretty killer and should have gotten more play than they did.

REM--Life's Rich Pageant...okay, admittedly, these days REM get the respect they deserve...but people still seem to largely forget that they made some damned good music before Document, Green and Out Of Time.

Mr. Bungle--Mr. Bungle...this is an album that is finally beginning to get it's credit...over ten years later. Brash, irreverent and a glimpse of what Frank Zappa might have sounded like HAD he done drugs.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

You know, liking underrated stuff is like liking a desert that no one else does... It stinks cause no one seems to appreciate it, but you get it all to yourself!
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Nirvana - In Utero

Everyone drools over Nevermind, when In Utero is a million times better.
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

Lot's of great underrated albums, here are some which IMHO are very underrated:

1.- Hamburger Concerto by Focus: When you talk about Focus, everybody remembers Moving Waves specially because of the mad yodelling by This Van Leer in Hocus Pocus or In and Out of Focusfor the classic The House of the King (song which many prog' posers believe was played by Jethro Tull) because of the majestic flute solo and the incredible bass. Both albums are great, but IMHO their masterp?ece was Hamburger Concerto with one of the greatest epics (title sond), the bizarre Harem Scarem , the medieval La Cathedrale de Strasbourg and the beutiful Birth an Early Birth. A great album.

2.- A Day at the Races by Queen: Released at the shadow of A Night at the Opera and specially Bohemian Rhapsody, this is an unfairly forgotten album, with the complex vocal chords in Somebody to Love, the beutiful You Take my Breath Away, the perfect timming of You and I and the almost unknown Teo Torriate (Let us Cling Together). A very underrated album.

3.- Abbey Road: Everybody talks about the historic and revolutionary Sgt. Peppers, but IMO Abbey Road is an inmense work, side B is almost am epic, it's a very good album for their time.

4.- No Earthly Connection by Rick Wakeman: Again, earlier albums as Journey, Six Wives or Myths & Legends had all the attention they deserved, some people love them, others hate 'em, but everybody has an opinion, also could include Criminal Record in this group, but nobody talks about No Earthly Connection, I admit the lyrics are somehow cheezy and the concept is too ambitious for a 45 minutes album (alternative history of music), but the music is astounding, really love this album.

Iv
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

The High Llamas - Gideon Gaye
One of the best albums of the 90's. A great mix of The Beach Boys, The Beatles and Steely Dan, and yet still sounds totally original.

The Beatles - Help
Tends to get forgotten when people talk about great Beatles albums. But look at the track listing, almost every song's a classic.

The Beach Boys - Sunflower
Completely bombed when it came out in 1970,but it's the bands best album after PET SOUNDS. It's also the groups most democratic album. although Brian Wilson is still the major contributor.

Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking
Worth buying for the 11-minute "A Sailor's Life" alone. It also represents a real peak in the band as a whole, and Richard Thompson, and Sandy Denny in particular.

Pete Townshend - Empty Glass
Actually better than his latter work with The Who, and contains a couple of his best songs, especially the title track.
Last edited by dgsyd1 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Most Underrated Album

Post by Diin Jaffa »

mosespa wrote: REM--Life's Rich Pageant...okay, admittedly, these days REM get the respect they deserve...but people still seem to largely forget that they made some damned good music before Document, Green and Out Of Time.
oh baby. give it to me. :P begin the begin and these days are one of REMs best songs. offcourse I have always prefered Fables.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Most Underrated Album

Post by Jack Dempsey »

mosespa wrote:Given that so many of the posts in the Overrated album basically amount to "I don't like this album, so it's overrated" (which is really NOT the definition) I thought I'd start this thread to see what albums you guys think don't get ENOUGH attention.

Parthenon Huxley--Sunny Nights. Okay...I have to admit that there are only two songs on this record that I can recall titles and lyrics for...but those two songs (Chance To Be Loved and Double Our Numbers for those interested) are pretty killer and should have gotten more play than they did.

REM--Life's Rich Pageant...okay, admittedly, these days REM get the respect they deserve...but people still seem to largely forget that they made some damned good music before Document, Green and Out Of Time.

Thanks, that wasn't the idea, but anyway hit me baby one more time

Mr. Bungle--Mr. Bungle...this is an album that is finally beginning to get it's credit...over ten years later. Brash, irreverent and a glimpse of what Frank Zappa might have sounded like HAD he done drugs.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

The idea of the thread was to say what so called CLASSIC albums you thought was overatted..
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

And the purpose of this thread is to say which albums you think are UNDER-rated...classic or not.
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Just how can a classic album be underrated :?
Is this something like the film Plan 9 from Outer Space? A film that is so stupid and badly made, that it has become a cult classic, but critics hate it?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I see it more like the Velvet Underground's first album...it's considered a classic, but it still doesn't sell that well.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I'd say first four self-titled Peter Gabriel's solo albums... Everyone loves "So" and "Us", that are full of potential hits, but these early ones, recorded with Robert Fripp, are much more modern, I think.
Yes, complicated, no easy-listening at all, but so innovative... And they're hated both by critics and fans :(
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Anna-Roza wrote:I'd say first four self-titled Peter Gabriel's solo albums... Everyone loves "So" and "Us", that are full of potential hits, but these early ones, recorded with Robert Fripp, are much more modern, I think.
Yes, complicated, no easy-listening at all, but so innovative... And they're hated both by critics and fans :(
I agree. Also Security is not apreciated as it should be (in the US it is also untitled). Both of those albums are some of the best stuff he did. Just the same, So, Us, and whatever the newest album is called are fine pieces of his work. But mostly I think Pete is under-rated as a whole.
HypatiaAquae
Axe
Axe

Post by HypatiaAquae »

Leonard Cohen- Songs from a Room- It might be a bit low key for many, but the haunting lyrics and the jawharp (and many other things make this album great.)

Laura Nyro- Eli and the 13th Confession- I rarely hear shit about this album. Her vocals, consant changing tempos, and the variety of music style within each song ahs me asking the question: Is Tori Amos that good?

Beck-Mutations- No one ever gives this album enough acclaim (besides the fact it won a Grammy) This is a very whimsical peice of work, plus the lyrics indeed blow Dylan out the dust at times.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Japan - Adolescent Sex

The critics hated it, nobody bought it, but I think it's excellent! Of course Japan's newer stuff is a lot better and very different, but it was still a very nice debut.