Most Underrated Album

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Patti Smith, "Horses" (1975) and "Radio Europa" (1976) (or rather Patti Smith as a whole - the best example is that she's been probably never mentioned yet at this Forum).
Without these classics albums REM, Nirvana, the whole New York punk scene and some others would sound completely different... Amazingly talented and intelligent woman...
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Anna-Roza wrote:I'd say first four self-titled Peter Gabriel's solo albums... Everyone loves "So" and "Us", that are full of potential hits, but these early ones, recorded with Robert Fripp, are much more modern, I think.
Yes, complicated, no easy-listening at all, but so innovative... And they're hated both by critics and fans :(
Not everybody hates those albums! And they are not that hard to listen to. Just mention a few tracks, like Solsbury Hill, Shock the Monkey, Biko, I Don't Remember, Here Comes The Flood... The first four Peter Gabriel albums are filled with great songs (maybe excluding the second album).
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Nice you agree :D :D ! Of course, they're not so avantgarde from start to an end, there are still so many just beautiful songs (however, I prefer things like "Exposure" or "Family and the Fishing Net" :wink: ), but for most people it's too much.
This year Gabriel played a huge concert in Poland for the first time, and there was a contest in radio and TV - voting for favourite songs of him. Not many things recorded before 1986 appeared... In top 30 maybe "Biko" and "Games Without Frontiers" and "Solsbury Hill" and that's all
One more reason for my post - personal one - in music shops you can easily buy "Us", "Up", "So", but for the first four ones you have to make special order :?
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

RHCP - One hot minute.
Critics bash it but I love it. One of the best 90s albums

King Crimson - Power To Believe

Ozric tentacles - Floating seeds

REM - Reveal
Its better than Up. :roll:
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Diin Jaffa wrote:RHCP - One hot minute.
Critics bash it but I love it. One of the best 90s albums
Yes, I like it much more than all the things they made with Frusciante... I mean he's great guitarist, his solo albums are interesting, but he brought something very bad to the band.... I like their funky stuff from the 80s, it really rocks!!!! But Navarro also seemed to be in a good place...
And on "OHM" there's one of my favourite "songs" for bass and voice only, "Pea", I love to play and sing it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Diin Jaffa wrote: King Crimson - Power To Believe
Yes, much better than "Construkction of Light", that is most of all Fripp showing off. his playing skills. And here - it's a BAND again, and there are beautiful songs and very powerful pieces. It is also a very compact work, nearly a concept album...

I'm still not sure about "Reveal" - however, "Up" is definitely my least favourite REM's album (even if I do love "Walk Unafraid")
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Anna-Roza wrote:Nice you agree :D :D ! Of course, they're not so avantgarde from start to an end, there are still so many just beautiful songs (however, I prefer things like "Exposure" or "Family and the Fishing Net" :wink: ), but for most people it's too much.
This year Gabriel played a huge concert in Poland for the first time, and there was a contest in radio and TV - voting for favourite songs of him. Not many things recorded before 1986 appeared... In top 30 maybe "Biko" and "Games Without Frontiers" and "Solsbury Hill" and that's all
One more reason for my post - personal one - in music shops you can easily buy "Us", "Up", "So", but for the first four ones you have to make special order :?
I agree that Peter's early stuff is way under-rated. Also I admit those albums came out when I actually listen to them new, so they were my first exposure to him. It wasn't until years later I found out he use to be (really) the lead for Genesis. Early Genesis is the building of Peter Gabriel. He honed his solo career their. Genesis from Peter's days is also under-rated.

The three songs you mentioned are on the untitled album which came before Security. Also features Here Comes the Flood, which Fripp does on several albums. The album Security, with Shock the Monkey is a heavy hitter though. For a time in it's history it was played quite a bit on the radio.

Also, "Up" has not been well received, and I warmed up to it, and think it is quite a good album. So I suppose that is under-rated too, IMO.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Yes... I had problems with "Up" myself... First I thought the album lacks a bit character... And the radio played "More Than This" all the time, that is one of worst songs there, I think...
But I started to like it when I heard the live version of it, that Peter recorded in his mill - with a very small band and a kind of DJ who was responsible for samples and remixes... It was amazing, very powerful, fresh and modern all the way.
Last edited by Anna-Roza on Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Anna-Roza wrote:Yes... I had problems with "Up" myself... First I thought the album lacks a bit character... And the radio played "More Than This" all the time, that is one of worst songs there, I think...
But I started to like it when I heard the live version of it, that Peter recorded in his mill - with a vety small nand a kind of DJ who was responsible for samples and remixes... It was amazing, very powerful, fresh and modern all the way.
Is that live stuff on an album?
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

No, I heard it broadcasted by the radio... It was a kind of a birthday concert I think, only for a small group of guests. But I'm sure some bootlegs could be found on the Net... :wink: