Let It Be... Naked

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Let It Be... Naked

Post by ganaffe »

Since Mosespa and I ruined the latest Beatle thread, I thought I'd start a new one :wink:

What do you all think about the latest release by the Beatles: Let It Be... Naked

I saw a commentary on dutch television last night in which a few musicians and producers gave their opinion on the project. With mixed results. Some said it was just cheap money making, others thought it was an interesting project but thought the result was inferior to the original, and still others thought it was a superior addition to the beatles catalogue.

As far as I understood it, it's basically something Paul McCartney always wanted to do, since he never really agreed with the production Phil Spector did... So he recreated the album in what he thinks it should have been. What do you guys think of that?

IMO, it's a good move. I never really liked the pompous production of the original. Somehow the combination of Spector's sound and the songs of the Beatles doesn't work for me. Think of the Long And Winding Road, for instance. I can imagine the song could be a lot better without all the orchestration.
I have to admit I haven't heard the new release yet. But I think there's a big chance I'll like it better than the original.

Did anyone already hear it? What's your opinion, whether you heard the album or not?
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Got the original album and there are a few good songs on it, Get Back(outstanding keyboards from Billy Preston i may add),Across the Universe stand out for me.
Read a review of it in the N.M.E last week and the stripped down version looks very exciting indeed.
Could be worth purchasing.
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

I just wonder if this release has happened b/c the remaining band members wanted to do it, or if it was just another way for the record label to cash in on a sure thing.
Let's face it, the industry cold release an album of nothing but silence on it, slap the Beatles name on it, and it would sell millions.
After saying that, I have nothing against the Beatles. They rocked once they got out of the "Love, Love Me Do" era.
Brian
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Yesterday some songs of "Let it Be... Naked" were broadcasted by a radio here in Chile, adding some interviews with Paul and comparisons with the original Let it Be versions. The Long and Winding Road sounds cool without the orchestra, I mean, it sounds 'pure'. Let it Be sounds ok too, without the "Wall of sound" Spector added to it. It's a nice listen, a COMPLETELY different way to see the songs.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Seems like a record I'm going to get. 8)
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I cant wait to hear The long and winding road without all the orchestra (even though i love it With the orchestra) It will be a lot better than in my horrible quality " Let it Be" video!
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Dude, I don't care if Paul found yet another way to milk the Beatles cow, I just can't wait to hear The Lond and Winding Road in its unorchestrated version. That's gotta be one of my top 5 fave songs ever.
IMO, "Let it be...naked", let it come!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The long and winding road is one of my favourite songs! It wouldn't be as good without the orchestra. It gives it more depth and texture and adds to the dynamics of the piece. I love it!!
frozen dream
Embryo
Embryo

Post by frozen dream »

LET IT BE!

I love that song

mmmmmmmmm, marmalade. Ilike marmalde

Hi everyone!
For the one who knows I'm robert miles from the official forum
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I bought it the day it came out. It sounds outstanding. I was dissapointed that they removed "Dig It" though. "The Long And Winding Road" sounds much better without the orchestration though.
Uma Guma
Axe
Axe

Post by Uma Guma »

But on the plus side they have added 'Don't let me down' which always sounds like it should of been on that album.

My opinion of Let It Be Naked is its great, Its the Beatles on how they should sound, a straight 4 peice rock n roll band, the album has everything, blues, rock n roll, ballads and love songs. I never liked the way Phil Spector made it into this huge wall of sound... but hey thats just my opinion.
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

hmmm

Post by BobFloyd »

I don't want to sound like an idiot but is that really Mic Jagger singing Dig It? I didn't really care for Let It Be. I think Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, and Magical Mystery Tour were there best albums. Before that I think the Beatles were a bit immature.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Re: hmmm

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

BobFloyd wrote:I don't want to sound like an idiot but is that really Mic Jagger singing Dig It?
No. That's John.
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

Haha

Post by BobFloyd »

Boy do I feel stupid haha!
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

Stilgar wrote:The Long and Winding Road sounds cool without the orchestra, I mean, it sounds 'pure'.
Wasn't that one on the Remasters 2 or whatever those two singles & rarities compilations were called. That was nice, even though I like that orchestra version, too.