Curious about Roger

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Curious about Roger

Post by Stiggs »

I just got Roger's album Radio Kaos and I must admit this is a damn good album. I'm wondering, what's everyone's favorite Roger Waters album (not live albums I mean, but if your favorite is a live album, feel free to include it). I'd like to get more but I'm wondering what the albums are about (in concept terms) or if they're just regular songs put together like the old school Pink Floyd days.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Amused to Death is my favorite RW album. I recommend picking up ATD, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, and In The Flesh on DVD (In that order). Avoid Music From The Body at all costs (It is as wretched as wretched gets). I recommend downloading the songs Each Small Candle, Flickering Flame, Folded Flags, Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Cover of Bob Dylan's classic), Lost Boys Calling, and Towers of Faith, or you can purchase the albums Flickering Flame and When The Wind Blows online for basically just those tunes...

-----------

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (A Review):

When dissected carefully, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking becomes a fascinating conceptual voyage into the workings of the human psyche. As an abstract peering into the intricate functions of the subconscious, Waters' first solo album involves numerous dream sequences that both figuratively and symbolically unravel his struggle with marriage, fidelity, commitment, and age at the height of a midlife crisis. While the songs (titled by the times in which Waters experiences each dream) seem to lack in musical fluidity at certain points, they make up for it with ingenious symbolism and his brilliant use of stream of consciousness within a subconscious realm. Outside from the deep but sometimes patchy narrative framework, the music slightly lacks in rhythm or hooks, except for the title track that includes some attractive guitar playing via Eric Clapton. David Sanborn's saxophone is another attribute, adding some life to "Go Fishing" and "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking." But it's truly the imagery and the visual design of the album that is front and center, since the importance lies in what Waters is trying to get across to the audience, decorated somewhat casually by his singing and the music. With Pink Floyd, the marriage of Waters' concepts and ideas with the talented musicianship of the rest of the band presented a complete masterpiece in both thought and music, while his solo efforts lean more toward the conceptual aspects of his work. With this in mind, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking continues to showcase Waters' unprecedented knack of addressing his darkest thoughts and conceptions in a most extraordinary fashion. — Mike DeGagne

Source

----------

Amused to Death (A Review):

Amused to Death is a solid album both conceptually and musically, showcasing Waters as an artist who, like his work with Pink Floyd, conveys his thoughts and ideals with pinpoint accuracy so that they are engraved within his audience's mind. With this album, Waters touches heavily on the dangers of capitalism, the insensitivity of the human race, the ridiculousness of war, and the onslaught of mindless entertainment that encroaches on mankind on a day-to-day basis. Fitting all these aspects into 14 songs is a task in itself, but accomplishing this task alongside music that is forceful and appealing is extremely difficult, and still Waters succeeds in doing this throughout the duration of the album. "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" is a moving spoken intro from Alf Razzell, a former member of Britain's Royal Fusiliers. A stab at the false sense of security that lies within religion is dealt with on the powerful "What God Wants, Pt. 1," and the cowardice of the world's leaders is addressed in "The Bravery of Being Out of Range," one of the albums most blatant tracks. Guest guitarist Jeff Beck rises to the occasion on a number of songs here, and both Rita Coolidge and Don Henley fill in behind and beside Waters on a couple of the longer tunes. Ending with the title track, a song that sums up the whole of the album with it's subtle yet hard-hitting demeanor, Waters proves that he can still reveal his conceptual ideas with pristine clarity, only on Amused to Death, the music is as equally entertaining and effective. — Mike DeGagne

Source
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

AMUSED TO DEATH is my personal favourite of Roger's solo albums. it's the one where everything gelled. RADIO KAOS has some great song, but is let down by the production, something which Roger has commented on. "The Tide is Turning (After Live Aid)" should have been a massive hit record during Xmas 1987 though.
PROS AND CONS OF HITCHHIKING, is probably the most personal of Roger's solo work, and Eric Clapton plays some of his best guitar work in years. MUSIC FROM THE BODY has some good moments if you can ignore all the burping and farting noises, which seem to make up most of the album.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I love "Pros and Cons" from beginning to end. Rogers voice is at it's best in my opinion. To be honest his other solo efforts haven't done it for me sans a few songs.

Post by guest »

Amused is as good as any of Roger's work with Pink Floyd, a truly amazing concept album.

Pros and Cons is also a must with some breathtaking guitar work from Clapton.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

AMUSED TO DEATH, of course. It get's original even when it goes into the same old idea of war (but applied to TV). Thematically is the best Rog have done since The Wall. Good singing (well, let's kick out pp arnold), great Jeff Beck's guitar solo on What God Wants, absolutely GREAT lyrics (only Roger can). The only think I don't like is tha fact that Roger doesn't play bass in many of the songs (Why??, anybody knows?? help me :oops: )

It ¡s the best of the solo efforts by members of the band ("David Gilmour" by Dave goes Second by little).

Shine On, Listen and Open Your Minds!!
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

I forgot abuot it!!... Don Henley sings in one song!!!...

Watching TV... we were watching TV...

Yeah!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Roger is not the greatest bassist on the planet, and he realizes this. Roger's best strengths are writing music and lyrics. He's a bit of a perfectionist, and I'm willing to wager he couldn't get the bass down pat on most of the tunes on ATD. To solve this problem, he got James Johnson to do what he was unable to do (i.e., play the bass just as Roger wanted it to be played.)

Think of him as being similar to a movie director who also writes the screenplays to the films he directs. Acting is a big part of most films. Bass playing, for example, is a big part of most musical albums. Some directors cannot act out every part in their movies, but they know how they want all of their actors to act in what are essentially THEIR films.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Post by Guest »

Sure do, you're saying it's okay for Roger to get outside musicians in but not Dave.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

No, you do not get what I am saying. And who mentioned David Gilmour in here anyway? NOT ME! So why are you saying I posted anything about Gilmour in this thread?

I will respond to your post anyway...

I have no problem with ANYTHING David Gilmour has done UNDER HIS OWN BANNER (i.e., the banner DAVID GILMOUR). I could care less if David Gilmour released a solo album under his own name with some guitar playing on it from someone other than David himself.

I only have a problem with the band I like to call Pink Fraud (Known as "Pink Floyd" (1986-)). As far as I know, the band I like to call Pink Fraud is a group made up of Richard Wright, Nick Mason, and David Gilmour. You seem to be implying that band IS essentially David Gilmour? OK. I suppose David Gilmour is all that matters to you? Anyway, I have a problem with "Pink Fraud" pretending to be Pink Floyd, which I consider to be a band that died a long time ago. That band was made up of David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Richard Wright, AND Roger Waters.

Can we please try to stick to the main topic, "guest"? BTW, do you not agree that maybe you should use a real handle?
Elliptic

Post by Elliptic »

I Agree but still find it a shame that "The real Pink Floyd" never got it together to do a Unplugged session.Shine on you crazy Diamond from the Dave Gilmour meltdown concert gives a slight insight as to how brilliant an album it would have been.Now add Roger,Rick,and Nick=Heaven.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
Of course I do my friend (I think I'm not stupid... :wink: , but sometimes I think I'm wrong!! hehe), and I agree with that point of view in many ways, specially in the fact that Roger is a perfectionist and wants a bass player that plays the bass the way he wants, to get the sound he wants for the album. Thanks for sharing your opinions with me :lol: .

And I somewhat agree with the other point you take: the guest musicians. I don't care if Pink Floyd 1986- (or "Pink Fraud" as you call it, which in fact, and according with another posts I've read from you, should have began in 1981, after the full departure of Rick Wright... or Roger's presence makes it not a fraud??... just a question) is taking guests musicians to tour, but I don't like to see in the credits of a song that is supposed to be of Pink Floyd, people that is not of the band (either is the Wife, the Cat or the Dog of Dave). That thing almost didn't happened before (only Atom Heart Mother with Ron Geesin and The Trial with Bob Ezrin I think), and I don't like it now, 'cause it means only one thing: lack of creativity :(

Shine On!!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Stilgar wrote:
Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
Of course I do my friend (I think I'm not stupid... :wink: , but sometimes I think I'm wrong!! hehe)
I know you're not stupid. I only asked that question because I realize english is not your native tongue, and I sometimes feel I'm not very clear.

I think your english is quite good, especially considering it's not your native tongue.
Stilgar wrote: And I somewhat agree with the other point you take: the guest musicians. I don't care if Pink Floyd 1986-....is taking guests musicians to tour, but I don't like to see in the credits of a song that is supposed to be of Pink Floyd, people that is not of the band (either is the Wife, the Cat or the Dog of Dave). That thing almost didn't happened before (only Atom Heart Mother with Ron Geesin and The Trial with Bob Ezrin I think), and I don't like it now, 'cause it means only one thing: lack of creativity :(
I feel the same way, for the most part.
(or "Pink Fraud" as you call it, which in fact, and according with another posts I've read from you, should have began in 1981, after the full departure of Rick Wright... or Roger's presence makes it not a fraud??... just a question)
I like to think of Pink Floyd as being a marriage with TFC being the divorce papers. However, I would have liked to see Pink Floyd retire after The Wall Tour. After all, it was the last tour to feature all four members and so on...

Post by Guest »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I know you're not stupid. I only asked that question because I realize english is not your native tongue, and I sometimes feel I'm not very clear.
Don't worry, pal, I was just joking, I wasn't offended for anything you've said :)
I think your english is quite good, especially considering it's not your native tongue.

Thanks, I try my best :lol: [/quote]
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

Hey!! that guest was me!! i forgot to login before posting... :oops: