My first PF experience

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

My first PF experience

Post by Guest »

It was some 8 years ago when I was in the age of 10-11 years. One of my friends had an audio cassette of a really bad quality (i live in the post-USSR, you know), and it had an amazing song on. It took me actually years to tell, what it was, but i really enjoyed it. Only some three of four years ago i recognised that the song i spent so much time listening to was "The Trial" from The Wall.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, ABITW Part Two was released as a single. I first became aware of it when my best friend's older brother was telling us about this great song that went, "Hey Teacher, Leave Them Kids Alone/Holy Moley It's Just Like You're Breaking The Law."

Obviously he misquoted the lyrics. I later heard the song at the local skating rink and found it compelling. I went to a local department store and found myself (for some reason) staring at this single called "Another Brick In The Wall Part Two." I did not know the title of the song or even the name of the group that sang the song that I heard at the roller rink, but somehow it just made sense that this was it.

I was relieved when I got home and played it for the first time and discovered that it was indeed the song I'd been hearing.

From there, I started looking for albums by this Pink Floyd group and I can clearly recall looking at the back of Ummagumma and wondering if the two guys shown were in the group or perhaps even the entire group itself. For all I knew, the four guys on the cover were models or something.

It made sense at the time.

Not long afterwards, my best friend urged me to come over to his house to check out this Pink Floyd 8-track that his brother had stolen from his high school library (so he claimed.) My friend was totally blown away by this song that sang about a lunatic in my head and this creepy laugh that followed the line.

DSOTM, obviously.

Another friend of mine got a copy of The Wall not long after this and brought it over for me to listen to. Airplanes diving, a baby crying, mad shouting and singing about worms breaking into someone's brain...all of this was unlike anything I'd ever heard before.

It took a couple of years, but I finally convinced my family to buy me a copy for my eleventh birthday. Then the movie came out the next year.

Needless to say, I've never recovered.

And I hope I never do.
TheVegetableMan
Axe
Axe

Post by TheVegetableMan »

When I was 5 or 6 my old man belonged to Columbia House. He never sent them little tickets in. One day a box came to the house and I opened it. Low and behold it was Meddle on 8-track. Mind you I had no idea who these people were, but the fact that they could get a dog to sing on one of their songs thrilled me to no end and all those eerie creature sounds scared the hell out of me.

Needless to say Dad couldn't send the tape back....I beleive I still have the 8 track somewhere.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Three years ago, I was thirteen, I discovered an old lp in my fathers collection: Wish You Were Here. Then I understood why a friend was crazy about Pink Floyd. He had all the cd's, so I copied them.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

it was just two or three years ago. i rembered a friend of mine told about the dark side of the moon/wizard of oz synch...that always caught my attention, but i didnt experience it until one night, two years ago. we went to a friend?s house (we were 8) i had the wizard of oz movie and a friend of a friend of mine had the dsotm cd, we all were influenced by some herbal thing....how can i resume it? i never thought it was going to be that good....i dropped my jaw as i watched the synch...i couldnt believe it.....i couldnt believe pink floyd music either...it got me so hard......i remember thinking that that was the best music ive ever heard until that moment...i was amazed.....that synch has to be real, i mean..they had to do it intentionally......there is no other way...from the start till the end of the movie....i remember that night as the night i hooked with pink floyd...after i saw the synch i became desperate to buy the dsotm album...and finally, i bought that same week.....and all i can say now is that pink floyd is my favorite rock band of all time :twisted:
FFloyidanFemme
Axe
Axe

My first PF experience

Post by FFloyidanFemme »

Was driving to find a store when Us and Them was played on the radio. DSM had just been released (yes, l973). I was so blown away by this song that I never saw the store even as I passed it, when back home and told everyone that the store was no longer there. Was it there??? Of course it was. Have been a true Floydian since then
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

the first time i heard pink floyd i was sat with a few friends aged 14 in my mates brothers bedroom taking dancing testubes[lsd] and smoking pot .
i think the album was a home made compalation of piper and saucer with a bit of ummagumma . i remember it well as it was my first trip and didn't know what to expect . it freaked me out with all the screaming and voices etc.[especialy when peaking] after that i got a copy of the tape and listened to on my headphones every time we went on a mission with the testubes. and ive still got the tape every time i listen to it now reminds me of the good times .
black eyes burning my mind. :twisted:
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

My first Pink Floyd experience was at the age of 8. My brother came bought Darkside of The Moon on tape. He put it on a played it. Then all of a sudden I was loving it! Time, Breathe, Moneym & Any Colour were my favorite & Still are! Though I love Brain Damage/Eclipse more than before.
PowR TocH
Blade
Blade

Post by PowR TocH »

My first experience was at the age of 5 hen I saw Another Brick... clip.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

When I was in sixth grade (about 9 years back), some of my friends started getting into classic rock. I was browsing a terrible book called "Why Knock Rock" that listed hundreds of exaggerated, misconstrued, or simply fabricated reasons to boycott various rock and roll bands. This book was making the case against PF that they were anti-education, anti-government, and heavily pro-drug abuse. Naturally my interest was peaked. :D

Soon after this I got heavily into the classic rock radio stations, and it wasn't long before I heard Comfortably Numb. I recognized the lyrics from the crappy book, and I loved the song instantly. So I got into PF, but only casually.

Eventually I heard a great "new" song on the radio that had the great lyrical and musical quality of classic rock. I thought it might restore my failing faith in modern rock, until I found out that it wasn't modern after all - it was Floyd's Wish You Were Here. That became my first PF album. Eventually I grew to love Learning to Fly and On the Turning Away, so I picked up AMLoR. And that album made me a full blown Floyd freak. Since then I've picked up all their post-More albums and gotten into them like no other obsession.
SaintCrest
Axe
Axe

Post by SaintCrest »

first time i heard them my bro placed in wish you were here and made me listen to shine on you crazy diamond and i thought it sucked ass.. this was maybe three years ago.. ive hated them till like a year ago. i gave em another shot.. downloaded some dsotm tunes and comfortbaly numb and i fell in love... went to the laser floyd show which was to DSOTM and I was absolutely hooked... btw wywh is one of the best albums ever... but i like dsotm better... always will
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I was a baby...