Any guitar players here?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

Any guitar players here?

Post by BobFloyd »

Does anyone play guitar?
If so, what guitar(s) do you own, how long have you been playing and what's the best thing you can play?
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Hey ya! I play a bit of the guitar, not much and mainly acustic. Best song I can play is one I made up. :) Also might want to check out this topic:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/for/v ... light=play
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I play the guitar, I can play: of Samba pa ti, like a hurricane, is there anybody out there
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I've been playing for about 6 years now. I have a semi-acoustic Fender Stratacoustic guitar (I'm in love with her - so clear and great sound), a normal amp. I'm playing the tunes I like and also some own stuff, with friends. Playing is relaxation and joy for me.
SaintCrest
Axe
Axe

Post by SaintCrest »

been playing for nearly 1 1/2 years.. i have a Ibanez Gio electric and a black Fender accoustic that has a pick up.. i mainly my own stuff for the accoustic, but i also play a lot of Radiohead and Pete Yorn.. as for the electric I use that for just jamming hard and loud..

i love to play Radiohead's Creep on electric and Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah on accoustic
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I've been playing for donkey's years and I've had every guitar. Fenders are my favourite though. I always come back to those. I like 70s strats, (in particular Dave's' one in the Pompeii video, Black strat, maple board, fat headstock. nice).

At the moment I have a Mosrite 'the ventures'. anyone heard of those?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I've been playing guitar for something like 16 or 17 years now.

I've had Silvertone, Fender, Yamaha, Westone and generic guitars.

I currently have an Ibanez which I am using on my home recordings and am able to get a pretty varied number of tones out of using my Digitech RP3 and a Smokey's amp.

The best thing I can play?

Mostly Pink Floyd and Rush. I don't have what I consider to be a great deal of dexterity of playing, but I can pull of (for example) the guitar solo to Tom Sawyer quite effortlessly as well as more complicated stuff such as the rythym parts to La Villa Strangiato (I've never dared to learn the solos to it...I just make up my own stuff) and Cirumstances.

My Pink Floyd playing is (according to a lot of people I've heard from) often difficult to distinguish from a CD. In fact, I once played in a band that did a 45 minute Floyd set and people who came into the bar during the Floyd set had said that they thought a CD was playing until they came into where we were playing and saw a band onstage.

I've always felt that those people didn't listen very closely to Floyd, because our singer sounded NOTHING like Gilmour or Waters.

Gilmour is one of the few guitarists whose solos I've bothered to learn. As a result, my playing is VERY influenced by Gilmour and my own recordings show that.
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

I have been playing guitar for 9 years...damn has it been that long? I have 3 strats and 3 acoustic guitars. I play out of a 100 watt Marshall half stack. I also employ a digitech rp12 and crybaby wah. I too record into my computer.

I have basically quit learning other people's songs and now focus on writing my own. When I did play other people's stuff, it was music like Led Zep, Floyd, STP, Pearl Jam, Hendrix, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Skynyrd, Allmon Bros, Creedence, Nirvana and countless others. I would say that I am a very proficent lead guitarist, but my most interesting stuff is arpeggiated rhythms, which are often very floydish.

I am in med-school right now, so I dont really get that much time to play and record.....but as soon as I am done and get my practice running, I am going to open a small recording studio to run in my spare time....I can't wait! Being a doctor will be cool and all, but owning a recording studio is a REAL dream of mine.

I am finishing up my second album from this semester, but I don't feel as strongly about it as my first album that I recorded a few months ago. I intend to sell the album to the people at my school and give all of the proceeds to a diabetes charity of some sort.

Sorry for all of the rambling!
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Ive been playing guitar since 1984, what inspired me to play in the first place was hearing" goodbye blue sky", it sounded so wonderful that i just wanted to learn it, since then i never looked back. Have always played fender strats and learnt to play almost every floyd piece from dark side onwards but ask me to play it all now and id struggle, about 7 years ago, i switched to keyboards which was the thing i always wanted to play most when i got into music playing, favourite keyboard player being tony banks.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

dswain81 wrote: I am in med-school right now, so I dont really get that much time to play and record.....but as soon as I am done and get my practice running, I am going to open a small recording studio to run in my spare time....I can't wait! Being a doctor will be cool and all, but owning a recording studio is a REAL dream of mine.
Let me know if you need an engineer. I'm only in beginning stages now, but by the time you're a doctor...who knows?
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I've been playing for about a year and a half. I have a squier for an electric guitar, as well as a seagull for an acoustic. I'm a horrible guitarist right now, but I dream of one day being as good as David Gilmour.
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

mosespa wrote:
dswain81 wrote: I am in med-school right now, so I dont really get that much time to play and record.....but as soon as I am done and get my practice running, I am going to open a small recording studio to run in my spare time....I can't wait! Being a doctor will be cool and all, but owning a recording studio is a REAL dream of mine.
Let me know if you need an engineer. I'm only in beginning stages now, but by the time you're a doctor...who knows?
Sounds good to me. We'll keep in touch.
J?r?me C. Milac
Embryo
Embryo

Post by J?r?me C. Milac »

I do.

I've been playing for 12 years.
I owned a Strat, and a Jackson.
Due to family matters, I sold everything 5 years ago, but I bought yet another last year, a folk. Now I need to go back electric, for I have to reach 15th fret and higher in order to play.... Shine on and so.
My repertoire is essentially Floyd !!
Avani
Knife
Knife

Post by Avani »

Hm, I've played the electric guitar for half a year now and acoustic for 6 years. I have a Roytek Strat(yes, very cheap :) ) and a 15W Fender amp. I can play a lot by RHCP and a couple of things by Floyd. I think the most beautiful thing I can play is Wish you were here. I play it with a friend(me on vocals). It's nice :)
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Useful Idiot wrote:I've been playing for about a year and a half. I have a squier for an electric guitar, as well as a seagull for an acoustic. I'm a horrible guitarist right now, but I dream of one day being as good as David Gilmour.
I have a Squire too, an affinity