Audio Recording Techniques.

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Audio Recording Techniques.

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am using cubase sx to record in my little home studio and was wondering about mixing after recording. Any suggestions as to which effects to use? A very general question, I know, but lets start with vocals. How do i get a nice warm texture? Multitrack them and use reverb with a short "reverb time" so the sound is not too wet?
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

pfffff this is totally out of my image... I'm using a simple microphone recording a live playing on my computer as wav file. The software I'm using came with the Nero wave editor software and the sound card software. I don't have multitrack software (but if anybody is willing to send me a link of a good freeware recording programme, it'd be aprreciated). I do some overdubs and use a few effects such as reverb, flanger, chorus and so to add some nice things here and there.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Keith, for vocals you might want to try adding a short delay, and I mean short then a noise gate just to tidy things up a bit. If you cant get the results youre after with the delay then use reverb but once again add a noise gate or compression to eliminate spill (you might even want to add both). Toy around with these ideas for a bit and i think you'll find you'll get a sound youre pleased with.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Audio Recording Techniques.

Post by decampos »

I can get really good vocal tones with subtle use of a vocal plate (a built in setting in cubuse's reverb), lots of compression (built into cubase) and bumping up the mid range (in cubase's parametric eq).

The best thing in the world: Amplitube.
It's a fabtastic VST instrument. It simulates every guitar amp amazingly. If you play guitar and use Cubase (or anything else that supports VST instruments) you should buy this product.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I like to use a form of ADT in which I paste a copy of the vocal track to another track and then push it forward a few ticks (I primarily use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, although I also have Cool Edit Pro and Cubase programs) and then pan both vocal tracks just slightly left and right (about 10 percent according to Cakewalk.)

After that, just a slight reverb usually works great for me. Although I like to use a big room with a medium decay and then mix it so that there's just a bit of "shimmer."
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

mosespa, I know its off topic, but who is she, in your avatar that is? Is she real? I'm always filling in the rest of the picture in my mind.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Its his wife :P
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Cool Stuff! What i do to get really good reverb is to surround myself with mic's 5 or 6. Dont know what it does to improve it but it sounds really great! I've got a connection that allows me to plug in actual mic's and theres enough room to put 10 max. So i can get some really good recording done with the band!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

nosaj wrote:mosespa, I know its off topic, but who is she, in your avatar that is? Is she real? I'm always filling in the rest of the picture in my mind.
Meddler is correct...that would be Mrs. Espa (LOL)

My wife is a dancer on the day shift at the local strip club...I have returned to the DJ booth there...but on night shift and only two days a week. So we still work opposite schedules.

It's not too hard to fill in the rest of the picture...she's approximately 5'4 (when not in her 7 inch heels) and weighs roughly 115 pounds when you put her in a cashmere sweater and dunk her in chocolate pudding.

The really beautiful part is that she's had five children and still keeps this petite bod.

Is she real? Yes...very much so. That's part of why we're together...she doesn't get into false fronts and pretentiousness for other people's sake (except, of course, for the requirements of her job...and even then, she's still the most "real" dancer (okay...stripper) in that club.)

Now...back to topic.

Another effect that I like to use on vocals is one that I use while recording...cupping my hands around the microphone to get a kind of claustrophobic "transistor-y" kind of sound. I even messed around with cutting the end off of a two liter soda bottle and putting the microphone down into it so that I could try to keep the microphone stationary while I used my hands to manipulate the keyboard of the computer at the same time.

Those results were interesting, but there's more playing around to be done with it.