What guitar should I get?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

What guitar should I get?

Post by BobFloyd »

I have around 1000-1300 dollars for a guitar and I am not sure which I should get. I was thinking about a Les Paul or a 1952 Fender Telecaster Re-issue. Maybe an SG or a nice strat would be good. Who knows? Please post your suggestions.
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

A nice American Fender Stratocaster is a great beginner guitar that will last forever and still be worth the money years down the line. It is also a fairly easy guitar to play, especially if you don't possess Hendrix length fingers.

Although, I usually recommend people to buy an acoustic guitar for their first guitar. If you can learn to play on an acoustic, switching to the electric is a piece of cake-but the opposite seems to be a lot trickier (ie: electric to acoustic).

For an acoustic guitar, Ovations are really nice and in your price range. They, similar to the stratocasters, are fairly easy to play as well.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

dswain81 wrote:A nice American Fender Stratocaster is a great beginner guitar that will last forever and still be worth the money years down the line. It is also a fairly easy guitar to play, especially if you don't possess Hendrix length fingers.

Although, I usually recommend people to buy an acoustic guitar for their first guitar. If you can learn to play on an acoustic, switching to the electric is a piece of cake-but the opposite seems to be a lot trickier (ie: electric to acoustic).

For an acoustic guitar, Ovations are really nice and in your price range. They, similar to the stratocasters, are fairly easy to play as well.
I'm pretty sure that if he's prepared to spend $1000 on a guitar, he's not a beginner...
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

Useful Idiot wrote: I'm pretty sure that if he's prepared to spend $1000 on a guitar, he's not a beginner...
Good point...but you never know. Either way, I would still recommend those guitars. Although, an SG would be pretty sweet.

Coolness.
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

haha

Post by BobFloyd »

Well I have a 1971 Yamaha Acoustic and a Classical Guitar but I can play Mood for a day by Yes and Bron-y-aur by Jimmy Page, which are pretty hard
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

k

Post by BobFloyd »

I don't reallly consider myslef a beginner but I've only been playing 7 months haha
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

hmm

Post by BobFloyd »

maybe I'll go with the american series strat basic yet pretty good

EDITED BY ADMIN - If you wish to add to your post, then please click on "edit" on the post you wish to edit. 2 or more consecutive posts from the same user makes the forum a little less inefficient. Sorry for my pickiness which, apparently, annoys some people like Dinn Jafa Cake!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Strat good. I have never had one, but want one. Thing is (i have a telecaster right now), I really am a Gibson guy...the necks are consistently great. I miss the neck on my old les paul...what ease. But the les paul is too heavy! If you want to play it sitting down, the shape is really too ackward...SG SG SG!! with custom floyd rose like tremlo!

Go for the strat!
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

I think it depends for a great deal on the sound you'd like to have... if you're more into a warm, full, 'dripping' sound, I think the Fender re-issue will do the best job...
If you like a more piercing, scratchy sound I'd go for the SG.

For comfort of playing, I think the SG is the best. It really does the job for you, like a good guitar should. I don't have that much experience with Fenders (except for my jazz bass) but the guitar player from the band I'm playing in owns an SG. I play around with it sometimes and it's really a miracle...
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

ganaffe wrote:I think it depends for a great deal on the sound you'd like to have... if you're more into a warm, full, 'dripping' sound, I think the Fender re-issue will do the best job...
If you like a more piercing, scratchy sound I'd go for the SG.
Surely that's the other way round.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Go with the one that feels the most comfortable in your hands.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

yeah, what ever turns you on...I mean after trying out a bunch...usually they have six strings and you play them. Yee-haw.