Oingo Boingo

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Oingo Boingo

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Anyone familiar with this relic from the 80's. I sure do dig the stuff they did in their time. I always hoped Danny Elfman would get another band together, but he kept his work tied to films with his soundtrack work. Almost everyone knows his work, but don't realize it is him. He is the man repsonsible for The Simpson's theme music. Also the music from Beetlejuice is his. Batman. Spiderman. Almost anything by director Tim Burton may have his music.

That said, I was always impressed by the complexity of the music by Oingo Boingo as well as the lyrical content. Great social comentary as well as tight rocking sound with a full horn section. They didn't skimp on keyboard sounds, but they also didn't overuse the keyboard by trying to make it be the horns, or the bass, or the saxophone. Impressive stuff. The style is pretty weird.

Also worth mentioning is that I think Oingo Boingo and Fishbone have a very similar feel musically. Totally a different group of dudes, but Fishbone also used the full range of musical tools and played extremly tight.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

First, I have to admit that the only Oingo Boingo I'm familiar with is "Weird Science" and "Nothing Bad Ever Happens To Me."

Having said that, I am (as some of you know) a HUGE fan of early 1980's pop..."New Wave" as it were...and thus, these two songs are (in my opinion) quite brilliant little pop gems.

I would almost be willing to wager (not really having heard much else of their music) that the similiarities you hear between OB and Fishbone are probably connected to that wonderful little musical genre known as Ska. It's why you can hear echoes of Madness within No Doubt, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Goldfinger.

What I AM familiar with by OB certainly marks them as a "quirky" band...and I'm always happy to support "quirkiness."
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

mosespa wrote:that wonderful little musical genre known as Ska.
You ever heard of the Aquabats?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

No...actually, I haven't.

Are they any good? I'm assuming they must be or you wouldn't be bringing them to my attention :)
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

mosespa wrote:No...actually, I haven't.

Are they any good? I'm assuming they must be or you wouldn't be bringing them to my attention :)
:D A very good observation! I like them a lot. They have some songs that really appeal to those of us who grew up or remember the 80's well. Its pretty weird though, maybe thats why I like it!
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOVE LITTLE GIRLS!!!(This line is from an Oingo Boing track, relax! :P )
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I still find myself walking down the street singing odd tunes out loud from my youth...Weird Science came out of my mouth just two weeks ago. IS IT REAL?...people were looking at me. I wanted to say, hey its oingo boingo, but that would have appeared weirder, eh?
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Gonzo wrote:IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOVE LITTLE GIRLS!!!(This line is from an Oingo Boing track, relax! :P )
:P You are little boy so no harm done.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Diin Jaffa wrote:
Gonzo wrote:IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOVE LITTLE GIRLS!!!(This line is from an Oingo Boing track, relax! :P )
:P You are little boy so no harm done.
Don't forget to add the a inbetweeen the words are & little so you may have a Complete sentence!

Novel idea eh?
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Gonzo wrote:
Diin Jaffa wrote: :P You are little boy so no harm done.
Don't forget to add the a inbetweeen the words are & little so you may have a Complete sentence!

Novel idea eh?
Picking on the grammar of someone who english isn't the first language of, I'm ashamed of you man...
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Useful Idiot wrote:
Gonzo wrote: Don't forget to add the a inbetweeen the words are & little so you may have a Complete sentence!

Novel idea eh?
Picking on the grammar of someone who english isn't the first language of, I'm ashamed of you man...
The enlightenment is tingling! :?
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

I actually saw the grammar error but I was too lazy to edit. :P

and as for Gonzo. I believe someone hasnt given him his daily pancake dose.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Diin Jaffa wrote:and as for Gonzo. I believe someone hasnt given him his daily pancake dose.
Exactly! JUST GIVE ME MY PANCAKES!