Iron Butterfly

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Iron Butterfly

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Anybody heard them? I have their records from between 1967 and 1971. Pretty interesting band. I guess you either like them or not, cause most of the songs have similar feeling and most of the lyrics are hippie-esque, nightmarish or just strange. I advise anybody who has not heard them their album Metamorphoses, which is their best record IMO. Good classic rock, but wide range of styles (there's a funky song, an acoustic ballad and good rock songs as well as a long improvisational song) and the first "guitar box" (an early vocoder) solo ever, that sounds like someone getting sick. Good vocals and interesting keyboard style, also good guitars.

The other records also are quite enjoyable and have nice tunes, but I like Metamorphoses the most (even though In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was their biggest hit single - it's 17-minutes long on the album!). The others have couple of weaker or very naive-hippie tunes. They also have a different guitarist on almost every album, but the main songwriter and arranger is the keyboardist and singer Doug Ingle.

If you decide to get their albums, I suggest the Rhino re-releases of "Heavy", "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (big booklet and bonuses), "Live" and "Metamorphoses" and the Collector's Choice release of "Ball". Rhino has also released the "best-of" collection "Light And Heavy", though some very good songs are missing on it, as well as the 17-minutes jam "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Ive got one of their albums, think its "ina garda da vida" or something like that, havent had it on in years but am i right to say it sounded a little like the doors in parts ?
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Pretty decent band...
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

I've got Heavy & In A Gadda-da-vida. Ok albums that I don't listen often.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I only have the song In a gadda da vida, super 8)
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

OK, any new fans? I highly recommend getting IB: Metamorphoses, it's a great rock record.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I like them, too :D
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Syd. wrote:I only have the song In a gadda da vida, super 8)
What he said.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Anna-Roza wrote:I like them, too :D
Great, what songs/albums have you heard?
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Of course "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and the next one, "Ball" (quite "normal" songs, well, shorter :wink:; a very good album ), but also some songs out of "Metamorphosis" (I'd like to listen to the whole album!).
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Ball is good. My favourite track is Belda Beast. Soul Experience is also a good one. In The Times Of Our Lives, Real Fright and Filled With Fear are very scary songs. I wonder what happened to Doug Ingle :lol:

Off In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, besides the title track, I like Are You Happy and My Mirage. Termination is also a nice one.

Metamorphoses is great as a whole. You should also try Heavy. Some very nice melodies and the powerful (and truly heavy) Iron Butterfly Theme. Posession, Unconscious Power, Fields Of Sun and You Can't Win also count among their best songs IMO, but some of the other tracks on Heavy are surprisingly soft and light pop, like So-Lo or Stamped Ideas. Those are not sung by Doug Ingle, whose deep voice in tracks like Lonely Boy is very unaccustomed. They have a second singer here, some Darryl DeLoach, with much softer and mellower voice. They also have different guitarist (Danny Weis) and bassist (Jerry Penrod).
shesahellion
Knife
Knife

Post by shesahellion »

what about the simpsons episode when they sing "in a garden of eden by i. ron butterfly"? classic!!!! :smt046
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

When the granny plays in on the church organ. :lol: :lol: :lol:
shesahellion
Knife
Knife

Post by shesahellion »

yeah! :P *lol* i was dying when i saw that. that has got to be one of the funniest moments in simpsons history! in a garden of eden was the original song title but i think someone misheard the name and it got muddled and ended up being called in-a-godda-da-vida.
In The Pink

Post by In The Pink »

:D PINK FLOYD ASIDE, Iron Butterfly is about the only band that puts butterflys in my stomach. But where the he_ _ to buy any albums. :?: I haven't seen I.B. in stores for ... :? 10 years. I'd almost stick an I.B. album on the wall in my bedroom that has my 20-some Pink Floyd albums displayed. ...if I could find one...
post submission edit: I didn't realise the pun-on-words till I viewed my submission. oops. but, oh well I'll leave it.