Your top 10 music videos

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Your top 10 music videos

Post by Anna-Roza »

Just realized we hardly ever talk about the videos, and so many people claimed that watching ?ABitWp2? video was their first, traumatic meeting with Pink Floyd. I?d like to ask you to write your favorite videos ? or rather, the most important ones, "milestones" of your music education. They might be videos of your beloved bands (like EN ?Sabrina? for me), or videos that encouraged you to listen to the certain artist (FNM ?Epic?), or great videos by not-so-great artists (must admit that as a child I liked Jackson?s videos, but his singing was always ridiculous to me)

So, here they are ? Top 10 Videos of My Life (very tough choice)

1. Pink Floyd, ?Another Brick in the Wall part 2?
2. Tool, ?Sober?
3. Peter Gabriel, ?Sledgehammer?
4. David Bowie, ?Ashes to Ashes?
5. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, ?The Weeping Song?
6. Primus, ?Mr Krinkle?
7. Faith No More, ?Epic?
8. Einst?rzende Neubauten, ?Sabrina?
9. Talk Talk, ?Such a Shame?
10. Beastie Boys, ?Sabotage?
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Might get back to you in about a years time on this one.
Could take me ages choosing a top 10.
(only joking about the time)
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

:lol: I could easily understand... At the beginning, I had like 10 Bowie videos, about 6 Gabriel ones and all that Tool's ever done :wink:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Phew, tough question but after some thought Ive managed to put down 10 in no particular order, here goes....

Radiohead - Street Spirit
This is just one of the most fascinating videos Ive ever seen. A pretty simple idea superbly executed.

OMD - Maid of Orleans
The first of my childhood memories selection. I remember seeing this on Top of the Pops and then going into Woolworths the next day with my Mum and asking the lady behind the counter for ''the one about Joan of Ark'', she wasnt sure if it was the right record so she played it in the shop, thats always stuck with me for some reason, not a particularly brilliant video but a nice memory.

Notwist - Pick Up The Phone
Great attention to detail with the animation. I find this video very sad and moving, this could quite possibly be my personnal favourite, darn good song too!

New Order - True Faith
Every now and then a video comes along where you find yourself saying ''I'll have whatever they had!'' The dancers really draw you in and make you just stop and watch and always seem to provoke a reaction from people the first time they see it.

Sparks - All You Ever Think About Is Sex
Theres no way I could not put my heroes on the list, unfortunately many of their videos are performance ones and this is the same but with a twist. The band are doing what seems to be a regular lip-synch video in a studio and then about half way through out of nowhere Ron gets pelted with custard pies while the band play on as if nothing is happening, the video then turns to good old slapstick as Ron struggles to play his keyboard whilst under fire, its a cheap gag but with the element of surprise that always makes me smile.

Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake
I love the concept of the band being whisked away from their countryside environment and finding themselves in a city like New York and finding it completely alien. Gotta love the moment when the bear comes in and the starts slam-dancing too :D

Kraftwerk - The Model
Another childhood memory choice. I was at that stage that most boys reach where I was obsessed with toys and gadgets and as a child I would watch this and drool over the shots of the Kling-Klang stage and not even notice the women in it, now I drool over both :D

Alphaville - Middle of the Riddle
Great animation of 5 characters on a platform in the air and struggling to keep it balanced. This actually won an Oscar for best animation, nowadays Alphaville would be lucky to win a weekend for 2 at Butlins, c'est la vie.

Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
More childhood memories, I remember when this was first shown on Top of the Pops, the following week it seemed like every kid at school was singing it in the playground, also I love Gerald Scarfe's work so its nice to see some of his animation that wasnt included in the film.

Duran Duran - Girls On Film :wink:

I wonder if anyone will choose Bohemian Rhapsody??
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

simpledumbpilot wrote:I wonder if anyone will choose Bohemian Rhapsody??
The Waynes World version will always have a special place in my heart. :smt049 :D
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

In no particular order:

- November Rain, Guns ?n Roses
- Evolution, Pearl Jam
- Last Dance With Mary Jane, Tom Petty
- Heart Shaped Box, Nirvana
- Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
- Estranged, Guns ?n Roses
- Jeremy, Pearl Jam
- No Rain, Blind Melon
- Soul To Squeeze, Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Right Here Right Now, Van Halen

Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Charade I am wrote: - Evolution, Pearl Jam
Always reminds me of Pink Floyd "Welcome to the Machine" - very scary, very true, don't leave anyone neutral.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Charade I am wrote:- Right Here Right Now, Van Halen
This song always reminds me of the Crystal Pepsi commercials.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

In no particular order...and subject to future additions and subtractions:

Neighbors--The Rolling Stones...the first time I'd ever heard the phrase "Music Video" was in conjunction with this song. It was causing controversy on the newly started MTV for scenes suggestive of violence and sex. It's a (more or less) performance video showing the front of an apartment building...you see the Stones playing the song in one window while other windows show a prostitute seducing her John, another window showed a man stuffing a dismembered torso into a briefcase...etc. etc. I read about it in TV Guide and then finally saw the video a few weeks later on Friday Night Videos (anyone else remember this show on NBC? Back when it actually had the theme song and opening animation...)

Beat It--Michael Jackson...the first music video I ever watched after becoming aware of the phrase.

Thriller--MJ...to this day, some of the best looking living dead make-up is in this video. And who wasn't looking forward to seeing it for the first time after all the hype? Well...out of those of us who were alive and pubescent in 1983, anyway.

I Ran--A Flock Of Seagulls...the song and the video both made this impact on me that I really can't explain. (I'm sure there are a lot of people making fun of me right now...oh, well.)

(This bit is cheating, I know...but, deal with it...)

Duran Duran...in the eighties, no one had videos with better locations and sexier women. No wonder I love these guys.

Men At Work...humor, ahr ahr ahr.

Saved By Zero--The Fixx...moooooooooooody video.

Rock Me Tonight--Billy Squier...great apartment.

Another Brick In The Wall Part Two...'nuff said

Take On Me--Aha...this is the song/video that let me know that the great music of the eighties had come to an end and that it was all going to be downhill from here.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I like some Czech bands' videos, but I guess nobody would know them here, so I'll pick some "international" ones.

Santana - Soul Sacrifice - from the Woodstock documentary. Even though it's not a proper video-clip. How people can keep transcending themselves...

Pink Floyd - Welcome To The Machine - that's a classic.

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms - great song and a nice video.

Tool - Parabola. Probably the freakiest video I have seen.

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxyg?ne 4. The penguins! Jarre also has great concerts with fantastic light shows. i.e. the Twelve Dreams Of The Sun concert held at the Egyptian pyramids in 200, or the recent (well not so...) Aero Concert in Denmark. I detect Mark Brickman's hand in this.

I will add the others later.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

seamusz wrote:
Charade I am wrote:- Right Here Right Now, Van Halen
This song always reminds me of the Crystal Pepsi commercials.

hehe....I think I?ve seen that commercial too.... :lol:

Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

1. Kate Bush - Cloudbusting
2. Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather For Ducks
3. Joy Division - Atmosphere
4. Mansun - Negative
5. Einst?rzende Neubauten - Blume
6. The The - Heartland
7. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Weeping Song
8. Pet Shop Boys - Heart
9. Killing Joke - Love Like Blood
10. New Order - True Faith
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Prkl wrote: 3. Joy Division - Atmosphere

7. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Weeping Song
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Prkl wrote: 5. Einst?rzende Neubauten - Blume
Love it, too :D ... Video inspired by Futurismus.... "Luigi Russolo and his noisy instruments", Milano 1916
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Anna-Roza wrote:
Love it, too :D ... Video inspired by Futurismus.... "Luigi Russolo and his noisy instruments", Milano 1916
Ah, the things you learn here! :D :wink:
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Luigi Russolo published "The Art of Noise" manifesto, so should be someone close to your heart :wink:
Also carried some crazy experiments with producing sounds.
The photo you'd find familiar:

Some more nice pics could be found at:
http://www.araf.net/dergi/sayi28/s28_c_ocek.shtml