david gilmour the workhorse of floyd?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
verawater

david gilmour the workhorse of floyd?

Post by verawater »

What do you think? Do you think Dave was the man or just another of Roger's talented minions? Personally I truly believe he was the backbone. Final Cut is a great album but the only thing that makes that album stand out from any of Roger's solo work is the fact that there is an amazing David Gilmour solo in most of the songs. Without that I think it could be summed up with all of Roger's other work. Don't get me wrong Roger's albums are great, but Momentary and The Division Bell are much higher. So let's hear what you have to say.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Personally, I prefer The Wall and The Final Cut to either of the Roger-less albums.

Roger is unquestionably "The Man." It was his lyrics and concepts that made Floyd what it was...in my opinion...BUTit was Gilmour's melodic sensabilities that made the songs really "sing," so to speak.

Either one without the other is less strong than the two working together. My favorite albums since the split have been Radio KAOS and Amused To Death. The Division Bell shows that the Roger-less Floyd had started finding their feet, I hope they do another album just so I can see if it's better than TDB...but nothing they can do will ever be as great as what they did with Roger, in my humble yet outspoken opinion.

Roger was the workhorse...Gilmour just added the decorative touches.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Mosepa wrote: "but nothing they can do will ever be as great as what they did with Roger, in my humble yet outspoken opinion. "

Exactly. i love all Floyd-albums, from Piper to TDB but what makes me "adore" Floyd and makes them really GREAT is the collaboration between outstanding music ( which is of course subjective , there are people that like other great styles of music better ) and the great, personal and even psychological Lyrics: that you can see in DSOTM, WYWH, ANIMALS, THE WALL being in my opinion a next step in Floydscarreer and TFC a further progression.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I agree with was has been said thus far. I think people really need to look at each era of Floyd and judge it on it's own merits. The Roger waters Floyd was awesome, no doubt about it. Was it better than the Barrett Floyd though? No, in my opinion, just different. Same goes with comparing current to past eras.

As I've stated in previous posts, Floyd gained a new and much youger audience in the last 15 years or so. The Division Bell tour was full of young people who were new to Pink Floyd and TDB was first Floyd they ever heard. They may look at the music from past eras and think it's crap. I just listened to TDB again last night and really liked it. Does that mean I don't like other Floyd, No, I love other Floyd.
Stilgar
Knife
Knife

Post by Stilgar »

quicksilver wrote:The Division Bell tour was full of young people who were new to Pink Floyd and TDB was first Floyd they ever heard. They may look at the music from past eras and think it's crap. I just listened to TDB again last night and really liked it. Does that mean I don't like other Floyd, No, I love other Floyd.
Amen to that, pal... Amen to that...

I agree with all that have been said here, especially with the quote up there. The Division Bell was, i think, a step that the actual Floyd took to find their way. Let's hope that they make a new album soon!!. I like TDB, it sounds good for me, but i also love The Wall, The Final Cut, Wish you were Here, DSOTM and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn... they are different, some of them classics, but all share one thing: they are great albums, just like all of the other floyd's stuff.

Shine On and Listen!!