KULA SHAKER!

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

KULA SHAKER!

Post by Sir. Psychedelic Soul »

hey hey...anyone here a fan of Kula Shaker? i dig 'em a lot...think they're brilliant...

if yer not familiar with them, they're an upbeat psychedelic band....kinda like a more psychedelic stone roses...and they have lots of Idnian music influence....so they mix it in rather well....

anyone here into them?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Govinda jaya jaya, govinda jaya jaya, nofundamunyhuney govinda jaya jaya

Never liked them much myself, i think some of their songs had potentiol but they tried to make underground rock sound to mainstream, Hey Dude being the worst example
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

And they have split up!!!!
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Utter shite !!!!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Lets not beat about the bush there Jack :D I must admit that I didnt mind Tattva at first but it soon started to get on my nerves, I couldnt stand all that faux-mysticism that Crispin would splurt out, not even the Beatles played on the gimmick that much. One thing worth checking out tho is a documentary about the band that aired on Channel 4 a few years back, much of it was filmed on Gilmours boat where they were recording an album, I think there was something about cowboys in the title, I have it on video somewhere. I cant help wondering would they really have been so successful if it wasnt for Crispin's heritage?
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Think the financial clout he had may have something to do with helping them find their feet in the music business..
DoorsX316
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DoorsX316 »

I would have to say that I found out about Kula Shaker with Tattva, and then remembered them when they covered Deep Purples Hush. I didnt think they would amount to very much. But I bought the K album, and I must say that they are extremely good. They seem to remind me of a mix of the British sound and the Flaming Lips. I believe that if people listen to the entire album, they will realize that there is quite a lot of stuff to find on it.
sproglet
Axe
Axe

Post by sproglet »

Kula Shaker were a splendid band, both albums are excellent. Unusual chord progressions and weird Asian scales make for a very melodic 60's vibe.

Crispin's electric sitar has an amazing sound, well worth digging their CD's out of the bargain bins and paying a few quid
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Did'nt Bob Ezrin produce there second album?.
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

qjamesfloyd wrote:Did'nt Bob Ezrin produce there second album?.
yeah he did!
i was just thinking about the production a couple days ago....i really like the way it was producued.....every instrument really has its glory...it's hard to explain what i wanna say but most albums by bands .....well....the way they are produced it seems like all the instruments are kinda flattened together and blended into one layer so it seems kinda flat and the sound feels squished together....but Peasants Pigs and Astronauts sounds very full...it doesnt sound flattened...you can really notice every sintruments really well...you dont have to listen hard just to hear the bass or drums or anything....every instruments is just right in yer face! i love the way it was produced...........
sproglet
Axe
Axe

Post by sproglet »

Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote:....every instruments is just right in yer face! i love the way it was produced...........
Some of the songs stand up by themselves too:

Great Hosannah & Last Farewell (I want that played at my funeral) spring immediately to mind as well as Golden Avatar.

In fact I'm listening to it as I type. Awesome!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Im sorry, they just make me cringe! I thought Id give them another go after reading some of the replies in this thread to see if I may have been a little hastey but to be honest I dont think I was. Crispin was a spoilt little bastard who spent most of his time listening to bedsit student music thinking he could do better and thats how it comes across, it seems to me to be exactly as it is / was, rich kid experimenting with things he claims to have felt that hes only read in books. Personally Im glad they dont exist anymore, Im only disapointed that they existed in the first place!
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

sproglet wrote:
Sir. Psychedelic Soul wrote:....every instruments is just right in yer face! i love the way it was produced...........
Some of the songs stand up by themselves too:

Great Hosannah & Last Farewell (I want that played at my funeral) spring immediately to mind as well as Golden Avatar.

In fact I'm listening to it as I type. Awesome!
yah i hear ya....especially the bit at 1:02 in The Great Hosannah when the wah wah comes in, and then the bass and drums and guitar just burst throw the speakers....it's so pumpin' and rockin it's a challenge to not groove yer body to the music..........
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

simpledumbpilot wrote:Crispin was a spoilt little bastard who spent most of his time listening to bedsit student music thinking he could do better and thats how it comes across, it seems to me to be exactly as it is / was, rich kid experimenting with things he claims to have felt that hes only read in books. Personally Im glad they dont exist anymore, Im only disapointed that they existed in the first place!
yah...i agree that he couldn't keep his mouth shut and he talked sh*t about all that mysticism and spirituality when it's just shite he read in books...he really did ruin it for the band........but other then that aspect of it i disagree with you thatthey are shite, i like them and i think they make good music........