Christmas number 1 in your country?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Pink Floyd getting to number 1 was a fluke,they never wanted to be a singles group,it was just luck at the time,and i would much prefer the Floyd to be at number 1 with an album than a single,besides getting to number 1 with a single these days means nothing,it takes very little talent and singles sold to do it.But i think a christmas number should be christmassy,or what's the point in releasing it at that time.When christmas time rolls around,there are a bunch of songs rolled out again,that are only meant to be heard at that time,so,the christmas number 1 should be a christmas song!!!!.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

How long before Christmas did they release the single?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

qjamesfloyd wrote:Pink Floyd getting to number 1 was a fluke,they never wanted to be a singles group,it was just luck at the time,and i would much prefer the Floyd to be at number 1 with an album than a single,besides getting to number 1 with a single these days means nothing,it takes very little talent and singles sold to do it.But i think a christmas number should be christmassy,or what's the point in releasing it at that time.When christmas time rolls around,there are a bunch of songs rolled out again,that are only meant to be heard at that time,so,the christmas number 1 should be a christmas song!!!!.
I think its a shame that you fail to realise that you are talking bollocks, so just to educate you I will break down your last futile post into segments, read and learn boy!

Lets start with your opening line.. ''Pink Floyd getting to number 1 was a fluke,they never wanted to be a singles group,it was just luck at the time,''

OK, you are absolutely right, you hit the nail right on the.. oh hang on a minute, I completely forgot all about the calculated drum beat which was to remain consistent to make a more accessible record that would be commercially viable, add to that the fact that the band chose to release the track as a single and voila! (In fact it was Roger & Dave that made a mutual decision that it should be a single, one of the last mutual decisions that they would make) As youre posts tend to portray you as something of a Floyd know it all you will be quite familiar with my sources no? If not try reading some books on the band! (or at least checkout some documentarys), also check their back catalogue for consistent singles releases throughout the 70's around europe and America, admittedly tho these were mostly the record companies decisions but that wasnt always the case, Roger did push for Free Four!

''and i would much prefer the Floyd to be at number 1 with an album than a single,''

Well, who wouldnt? However the Wall was a slighltly pricey double LP and being released amongst so many greatest hits collections (yes little has changed) struggled initially to shift as many copies as originally hoped for, thus the christmas market kept it at no.3, however singles were slightly more affordable (anyone else remember ABITW2 being 99p in Woolworths?) and fortunately the singles buying public (which includes a much younger generation that would instatntly latch on to the lyrics as something of a rebellious anthem that arent / werent able to afford albums) insured a much higher place for the single.

''besides getting to number 1 with a single these days means nothing,it takes very little talent and singles sold to do it.''

Of course this is very true and at last I think we have found something we agree on, however it is also very much a sign of the times, whilst record sales have plummetted, partly due to the mp3 boom, partly due to there being very little of any worth to buy but most of all due to the huge increase in DVD sales, the public have a new far more interesting medium, its progress Im afraid and as usual to the loss of something else.

''But i think a christmas number should be christmassy,or what's the point in releasing it at that time.''

So should records released around easter only be about either bunny's (which is OK if your names Art Garfunkel, time to clean up me thinks!, even more so for Mike Batt) or dying on a cross (which is even better if your names Glenn Benton - singer of Deicide, but of course with your wealth of knowledge you probably knew that). The days of the christmassy number 1 vanished years ago, the last real one we had was probably Mistletoe and Wine (which sucked!) prior to that it was probably Do They Know Its Christmas, which was unbelievably cringeworthy (inspite of its cause, altho Bono did sound bloody good!).

''When christmas time rolls around,there are a bunch of songs rolled out again,that are only meant to be heard at that time,so,the christmas number 1 should be a christmas song!!!!.''

I refer the right honourable gentlemen to the reply I gave some lines above! Face it, if every number one was seasonal or appropriate to its time of year then Wizzard could've cashed in on ''I wish it could be the 5th sunday after pentecost everyday'' years ago!
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Easter is'nt celebrated as much as Chrsitmas,never was,and there has never been a race to Easter number 1,so,it's not even worth talking about.
Now,perhaps you can not be so rude,when answering someones post,you don't know me,i don't know you,so,please be more respectful weather you agree with what i say or not.And please don't make assumtions,i would not call myself a Floyd no it all,no-one is!!!,even the band members have forgotten most of what went on,but i have read almost all books released on the band,so,i think i know some things,and have watched lots of documentaries too.
But my post was'nt bollocks because when you broke it down you agreed with what i said twice!!.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Handbags boys!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

The christmas number 1 is just a marketing gimmick done by shows like top of the pops to get people who wouldn't normally care about music to have a casual intrest again and therefore boost ratings

The trouble with Christmas songs is a few days later it's lost all relevance unless it's something like Christmas by The Who (what a number 1 that would have been) that's part of something much larger

Anyway, as stated it requires very little skill to reach number 1 and it requires even less to write a christmas song. Surely for that reason it's good when a song comes along and reaches number 1 without falling in to the usual category of christmas songs, Gary Jule's cover may not be a particularly good song but it's definitly got more depth and skill to it than anything else that was in the running

When it comes between a bad song with some meaning or a bad song that's cashing in on the time of year like Don't Let The Bells End then i think i know which id' rather have as my number one so for that reason i congradulate Gary Jules in beating the other songs
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

qjamesfloyd wrote:Easter is'nt celebrated as much as Chrsitmas,never was,and there has never been a race to Easter number 1,so,it's not even worth talking about.
Now,perhaps you can not be so rude,when answering someones post,you don't know me,i don't know you,so,please be more respectful weather you agree with what i say or not.And please don't make assumtions,i would not call myself a Floyd no it all,no-one is!!!,even the band members have forgotten most of what went on,but i have read almost all books released on the band,so,i think i know some things,and have watched lots of documentaries too.
But my post was'nt bollocks because when you broke it down you agreed with what i said twice!!.
Looking back at my post I must apologise for its harshness, I entered one of those zones where you just roll and roll and Im sorry if I hurt your feelings, however, Im sure youre a big strong lad and wont be hurt by the ramblings of a complete stranger in a virtual room. But please read my post a little better, I never called you a Floyd know it all, I only suggested your posts portray you as such which I was hoping would spark some debate rather than a straight defensive approach. I really dont mean this next bit to be offensive or harmful in any way but its so difficult to get the right phrasing across in text (unless youre some kind of author of course) but your post seemed a bit naive and I admit I did make assumptions, one of which was the assumption I made about the points we agreed on being a fluke (a point that never left the insides of my head until now), and I do consider those points we agree on to be bollocks because of the sad state of affairs that those points are part of, it applies more as a general cuss than an individual one. I suggest we shake hands (in some kind of virtual way) and put the whole thing to bed? Once again my apologies for not expressing myself in a better way, its so difficult with text tho.

P.S. I think David has hit the nail on the head!
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Ok,the handshake is offered,and i accept,and i agree,David has hit the nail on the head.And i agree it can be difficult and annoying to get things you want to say in a forum like this,without it being taken the wrong way.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Thanks, had to happen eventually :D
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

The one thing that I feel should be celebrated about Gary Jules being No 1
is that it cost about ?28 to produce compared with the many thousands of pounds crapmeister Simon Cowell spent on his. :lol: