Beautiful Song (#01) - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beautiful Song (#01) - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Post by Keith Jordan »

I love this song "Bridge over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel. Great lyrics and the simple flowing music fits perfectly with it. Great sentiments. What do you all think of it?

Bridge over Troubled Water

When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

I'm on your side

When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
I will lay me down
I will lay me down

Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way

See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
I will ease your mind
I will ease your mind
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

My parents used to have Simon & Garfunkel albums and I heard them a lot when I was younger. They bring sweet childhood memories to mind. On the other hand they are a bit cheesy/too sweet. And not 'respectable' for a serious music lover which I hope to be. But my overall opinion is: o.k.
Never read the lyrics before but they are indeed very nice.
Recently bought the album The man comes around by Johnny Cash and he does a wonderfull cover of "Bridge" together with Fiona Apple. I know there was a thread about bad covers, but if there is one about good cover versions this one definetly should be in it.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I don't really know this song, I like Sound of silence, though.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I like S&G very much and Bridge is one of my favorites. Though I prefer The Boxer and I Am A Rock (or what was it's name). My friend told me they are gay, he had El Condor El Pasa -MP3 and he always thought they were jumping in some field, like Julie Andrews in Sound Of Music. I think they're not gay.

BTW: frm Almost Famous: "Look! They're on drugs!"
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

JML, your friend sounds like he is narrow minded.

I am a rock is another great one. Book ends is nice also! :-)
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am a rock is another great one. Book ends is nice also! :-)
Bookends is very sad song

Old friends. Old friends sat on their park bench like bookends.
A newspaper blown through the grass falls on the round toes of the high shoes of the old friends.

Old friends. Winter companions, the old men lost in their overcoats waiting for the sunset.
The sounds of the city sifting through the trees settle like dust on the shoulders of the old friends.

Can you imagine us years from today sharing a park bench quietly?
How terribly strange to be seventy.

Old friends. Memory brushes the same years, silently sharing the same fear.

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was a time of innocence, a time of confidences.
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph, preserve your memories, they're all that's left you.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I love you guys and girls!!
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

I agree with you Keith....Bridge Over Troubled Water is a beautiful song...
There is an Art Garfunkel solo dvd called Across America with a great version of it.....even in his 50s he's still got the voice
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

rosm wrote:On the other hand they are a bit cheesy/too sweet. And not 'respectable' for a serious music lover which I hope to be. But my overall opinion is: o.k.
NOT RESPECTABLE FOR THE SERIOUS MUSIC LOVER ???? You are joking arent you ? So unbelievably judgemental and if i might say, totally wrong. I don't feel you know what you are talking about.
Bridge over troubled water is one of the most incredibly moving songs ever written, this has incredible soul to it, such depth and is an all time classic, Paul simons best moment. I saw art garfunkel last march in london, it was so lovely to hear all those songs again, songs i grew up with, his voice is like silk and though he does kinda look a little funny, i sat there with the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention when he did this song, pure beauty and a song i will love forever.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

To believe is to see. To see is to feel. To feel is to affect the soul through the senses; and it is through this affect that true art has true meaning and connection. It is the affect of this feeling which reflects the soul of the individual for his perception is crafted from his own mind.

To believe Bridge over Troubled Water is not a good song is not to have a good state of mind!!

SOOTHE THE SOUL THROUGH THE SENSES

This post was inspired by Oscar Wilde!! lol No offence, I am just rambling away!!
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

I like Elvis Presley's version of Bridge..., too. A totally different arrangement, that made a simple little gospel song into Phil Spector-esque wall of sound. A good version IMO. Better than S&G's original version. Sorry if I've offended somebody.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

moodyblue wrote:
rosm wrote:On the other hand they are a bit cheesy/too sweet. And not 'respectable' for a serious music lover which I hope to be. But my overall opinion is: o.k.
NOT RESPECTABLE FOR THE SERIOUS MUSIC LOVER ???? You are joking arent you ? ....
O.K. perhaps I have chosen the wrong words. I like the song but a lot of 'serious/alternative' music lovers/the 'music police' would say it is not a fashionable song to like. That's sort of what I meant.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

rosm wrote:
moodyblue wrote: NOT RESPECTABLE FOR THE SERIOUS MUSIC LOVER ???? You are joking arent you ? ....
O.K. perhaps I have chosen the wrong words. I like the song but a lot of 'serious/alternative' music lovers/the 'music police' would say it is not a fashionable song to like. That's sort of what I meant.
Well i hope you don't allow other people to make up your mind on what music you like, i never knew there was such a thing as "the music police", we all have opinions but no one dead or alive could ever say i shouldnt like something just because they didnt think it was "cool" or "out of fashion", its simply absurd to me.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

moodyblue wrote:
rosm wrote: O.K. perhaps I have chosen the wrong words. I like the song but a lot of 'serious/alternative' music lovers/the 'music police' would say it is not a fashionable song to like. That's sort of what I meant.
Well i hope you don't allow other people to make up your mind on what music you like, i never knew there was such a thing as "the music police", we all have opinions but no one dead or alive could ever say i shouldnt like something just because they didnt think it was "cool" or "out of fashion", its simply absurd to me.
Just something else i want to say, don't betray your instincts and what you feel, if you like it, then go with it regardless, be true to what you really feel...........
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

moodyblue wrote:....
moodyblue wrote: Just something else i want to say, don't betray your instincts and what you feel, if you like it, then go with it regardless, be true to what you really feel...........
I know you are right, but sometimes I do care what other people think about me or my opinion and I know I should stand above that, but I just care about it.
Nevertheless I still think that I prever the version of Johnny Cash. (sorry Heikki, I found a live version of Elvis but I don't like it as much as Johnny's)[/quote]
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Like JML, I, too, heard a lot of Simon and Garfunkel, through my mom... I like Bridge Over Troubled Water- it's a beautiful song. I also like Scarborough Fair quite a bit...