500 greatest albums of all time

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
atomaxe
Axe
Axe

500 greatest albums of all time

Post by atomaxe »

rolling stone magazine issue 622 has just polled the 500 greatest albums of all time and i believe we floyd fans have been ripped off, dsotm rated highest at #43 , the wall at #87, wywh at #209 and patgod at # 347 , i personally think darkside should be at least in the top twenty , wywh and the wall in the top fifty and every other album somewhere in the top 200. what do you all think , bye the way sgt peppers was voted #1
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Hmm, I like the Top 500 in rateyourmusic.com a little better, even though Pink Floyd did worse there... :x

DSOTM #108
WYWH #134
Animals #353
PATGOD #465

http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=3735 (watch out, this one takes a LONG time to load!)
crosby
Embryo
Embryo

Post by crosby »

Unfortunately many people have poor taste....i recall seeing many albums above anything in the Floyd catalogue which mad me laugh..go figure
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I never trust these polls. Especially when they say 'You voted such-and-such Number 1...' I wasn't asked to participate. And as far as I'm concerned a sample of 1000 people is meaningless.

I mean come on, Sgt Pepper No1? I love the beatles but that album is f*cking awful. Not one good tune on it (in my opinion)
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

So where can I find this list? It's nice to see, how stupid those voters are. DSOTM is maybe one of the most revolutionary albums and so is THE Beatles (White)
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

These polls always amaze me. I don't know anyone who has ever been asked to cast votes for these polls.
Who makes them up ????????
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

decampos wrote:I mean come on, Sgt Pepper No1? I love the beatles but that album is f*cking awful. Not one good tune on it (in my opinion)
Not even A Day In The Life (IMO the only particularly good song on the album)
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

It?s like the FIFA club ranking....it has no sense

Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

It's impossible to choose the best album of all times. It's even more mad than to choose the best guitarist of all times, although that was, is and will always be Jimi IMO.

BTW I quite like Sgt. Pepper (my fave songs are the title, With A Little Help From My Friends, Within You Without You, LSD, When I'm 64, Good Morning, A Day In The Life), it was an influential album, but certainly not the best one ever made.
Last edited by Flame-Sky Diver on Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

David Smith wrote:
decampos wrote:I mean come on, Sgt Pepper No1? I love the beatles but that album is f*cking awful. Not one good tune on it (in my opinion)
Not even A Day In The Life (IMO the only particularly good song on the album)
I know a lot of people like that tune and hold it in high regard. I've just never gotten on with it especially Paul's part 'woke up, got outa bed, dragged a comb across my head ... etc'. Groan.

I think it's lame by the band's usual standards as is the whole album. In my humble opinion of course.

The only half-decent tune (In my oh so humble opinion) is Paul's 'when I'm 64'. But then, everyone hates that one. Funny that.
dypa
Axe
Axe

Post by dypa »

True, it makes no sense to make something like this.
In MY opinion, Atom Heart Mother would be #1
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

decampos wrote:I think it's lame by the band's usual standards as is the whole album. In my humble opinion of course.
It's certainly better then the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"-era. Needless to say, in my opinion.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

olzen wrote:
decampos wrote:I think it's lame by the band's usual standards as is the whole album. In my humble opinion of course.
It's certainly better then the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"-era. Needless to say, in my opinion.

People seem to forget or don't realize that the so-called "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" era was a time when EVERYONE in popular music was doing the kind of stuff folks THESE days would consider trite. Until Dylan lyrics were NOT foremost in popular song-writers minds except maybe Chuck Berry. After Dylan's impact that all changed...including within the Beatles. What the Beatles did before Dylan was still important because they raised song-writing...i.e. chord structure, melody, arrangement, production etc...to an art in itself. Once Dylan impacted them the Lyrics, especially John's left the standard "moon in June" approach that was prevelant across the board n popular music and also grew. I've said it before....to judge what was done that long ago according to today's "standards" is quite invalid and a dis-service.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

olzen wrote:
Each to their own. I love all that old stuff.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

it is incredibly typical&lame to put beatles high in that kind of list. bad attempt to be hip.

there are just too many threads!