Very amusing
No votes

Total votes: 14

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Music and fear

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am trying to learn how to scare myself with audio ( :shock: ) and, more towards my goal, I am trying to find out why there is such a fine line between pleasure and pain, fear and no fear. :lol:

Have a listen to my audio clip and then answer the poll and then add some comments! :D

right click and "save target as..." to save to your computer.

http://www.sonarmedia.co.uk/keith_is_odd.mp3 (1.19MB)

For those interested, I recorded it using Cubase SX using my Yamaha PSR9000 with SM58Mic for some of the vocals! 8)
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Only scary bit was the voice toward the end.... interesting piece.
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

It was really great piece, but I didn't find it scary...

Add more of that haunting voice, and some more dissonant notes, and you'd have more success, methinks.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Here's some genuinely (spelling!?) scary/creepy songs you might want to try:

Suicide - Frankie Teardrop (use headphones and turn the volume UP for best results )
Throbbing Gristle - Hamburger Lady (just a frigging creepy song all the way through)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Thanks for your comments.

I wonder what it is though that makes some audio scary? The disdained chords yes... but why? Why are the "happy" chords and "sad" chords - major and minor?!?!
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Just listened to Keith's track, and I also find it more eerie than scary, but it was pretty good anyways.

I don't really want to reveal what makes Frankie Teardrop scary, it would just spoil the surprise for those who haven't heard it yet.... :wink: :twisted:
Last edited by Prkl on Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Prkl, I must agree with you on this one. It brings out feeling of madness more than anything for me now!!

Can music be scary without sick words?
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Keith Jordan wrote:
Can music be scary without sick words?
Probably. But I think the best effect would be achieved by some lyrics/vocals that you can't understand(=foreign language, perhaps). But scary music that's all instrumental is almost impossible to do, IMO.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Prkl wrote:But scary music that's all instrumental is almost impossible to do, IMO.
I would tend to agree. I think only a "situation" or the expectation of a situation could bring about feeligns of fear. But hoiw to tap into those dormant feeling in the soul with music?
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

imho, the piece creates tension rather than fear. somewhat like the beginning of "tubular bells" that was used so effectively in the film, "the exorcist". a song that used to scare the heck out of me was the middle portion of led zep's "whole lotta love". i was about 5 years old when it came out. i used to leave the radio on at night. whenever that song would come on i'd dread the approaching "haunted house" part of the song. i'd hide under the covers and listen to the creaking doors and thunder. plant's tortured vocal of "love....ah, ah, ah, ah... loooovvvve" would make me shiver! then page's killer lead break would kick in and i knew everything was okay! why didn't i turn the radio off, you ask? i dunno. i guess i just like being scared.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Listen to the Soundtrack for the Dario Argento film Suspiria its scary as, done by a band called Goblen.
jfmaddocks1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jfmaddocks1 »

Pretty cool song, when can we hear some more?
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

sounds like sumat off a film ?
as if when someones walkin home on there own through a grave yard just as they start walkin throught the gates and they start gettin paranoid then it would speed up as they start walkin faster and lookin around because they think they heared voices then bang! they fall over into a freshley dug grave braking there leg and someones stood over the grave with a shovel but you cant see there face becuase its a silloette and the moon is full behind there heads and you can see there breath in the cold as they cackle like some mad psycotic hiyena as they fill in the hole the hole of there demise and the shock on there faces when they realise that there being buried alive ???????? :smt077 am i sick or what or should i write a film and we can all be in it????kieth can do the music
JAXREBFAN
Axe
Axe

Post by JAXREBFAN »

Keith's song sounds like it has alot of potential! I love the way it starts out,but to me has no evil or scare to it! Maybe I just don't get out much! Keep the work going....... :shock: FLOYDIAN FAN.... :wink:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am writing an album about various stuff and fear is something I woudl like to explore. My little sound clip I jammed out is not scary at all!! lol I will probably develop a song out of it in some way. Perhaps about mental pain or something!! :lol: