Pickin on Pink Floyd

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Pickin on Pink Floyd

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Anyone ever hear this album? If you hate bluegrass, you will hate this album. If you love bluegrass, I'm not sure...you might not like it since it doesn't stay to traditional roots of that music. I've always been able to listen to some bluegrass, but I don't know anything really about the music. I picked up this album and it is quite enjoyable in parts. The old PF music is quite well suited to the bluegrass intruments, where the more recent things (like things from The Wall) sound odd (maybe even bad). See Emily Play is very fun with banjo. This is album has no vocals. I guess the real plus is they take the music somewhere else, as oppose to staying true to the original sound and style, and that helps to create interesting cover songs.

Check it out - let me know what you think.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I can't say that I care for bluegrass music...it's a bit...well...hokey, I guess, like much American Country Music. HOWEVER, as a musician, I have to respect the technical proficiency that one must have in order to play bluegrass music.

Hell, put some distortion on it and it's speed metal, you know.

I'm of two minds when it comes to cover songs. On the one had, there's a lot to be said for an artist's individual interpretation of a song. Manfred Mann's version of Blinded By The Light (for example) wouldn't be as awesome as it is if it were a slavish recreation of the Springsteen original. So, there's that.

On the other hand, certain songs just have to be performed a certain way, it seems. I don't think anyone in this world could ever do a completely acceptable version of Comfortably Numb (for example) without playing the original chord progression and re-creating the guitar solos.

What it all boils down to, in my view, is respect for the original song. You can tell (if you listen closely enough) whether someone is doing a cover song because they genuinely connected with the song or if they're just doing it for money or as a trend.

Marilyn Manson's cover of Suicide Is Painless (the theme from MASH) is approached from an attitude of respect for the song and is handled quite tastefully, I feel.

I haven't heard Pickin' On Pink Floyd, but it sounds like something that could be fun.