u2 - what do u reckon?

Post by smalltownrockstar »

you either love 'em or hate 'em.

U2

whats your thoughts
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I hate them, Bono and the band as a whole are so close to pop it's unbeleivable. Come on, they used to sing about things and now they do tracks for Tomb Radier, shake hands with George Bush and perform stadium gigs with giant hearts as stages

They're songs always seemed just that little bit to simple and their latest material just makes me think of a band that stopped trying years ago
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Re: u2 - what do u reckon?

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

smalltownrockstar wrote:you either love 'em or hate 'em.

U2

whats your thoughts

There must be another choice because I don't love them nor do I hate them.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I think it's a good band, not as good as PF, Doors, Neil Young, but still good. I like the guitar sound in all their songs.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

From the few songs I've heard, I liked some, but they aren't my cup of tea. Their sound is a bit too flat for my ears. :P
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote:Their sound is a bit too flat for my ears. :P
That is the guitar sound I was talking about :lol:
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I liked them - liked the old, classical albums like "War" or "Joshua Tree", because in the 80s it was something completely different than the stuff played around. Bono's voice... still makes me touched sometimes. Edge's guitar is not my cup of tea for sure, but he's a talented guitar player (that lacks imagination, maybe...).

However, my favourite albums are these, when they dropped their "prophets" masks: "Achtung, Baby" and "Zooropa". They were exremely shocking when came out, but aged really well (Brian Eno's lucky hand?). Afterwards I think they became very boring and shallow band, apparently ran out of ideas. What I heard is the next album would be very heavy and loud :shock: .....
Another thing - I don't like artists that are so politically involved, just can't believe them. Maybe Peter Gabriel and Roger Waters are exceptions, but I am quite suspicious about Bono :? .
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

If you either love them or hate them,why are'nt there only 2 choices in the poll not 7? :oops:
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

qjamesfloyd wrote:If you either love them or hate them,why are'nt there only 2 choices in the poll not 7? :oops:
Because Vlad wanted more poll options :D
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Syd. wrote:
qjamesfloyd wrote:If you either love them or hate them,why are'nt there only 2 choices in the poll not 7? :oops:
Because Vlad wanted more poll options :D

Yeah....what Syd said. :wink:
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

U2 is one of my favourite bands. Amazing. Their songs are so good because they have one of the greatest rythm sections in history. The Joshua tree and POP are their best albums for sure!
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Well, their first album is their best, but some of their 80's albums have good songs too, IMHO....
Joshua Tree is horribly overrated, even though it's the only one I own (bought a used vinyl copy for just 1 euro a few months back, dunno if that was even good value or money). The last decent album they released was Achtung Baby, after that their stuff has been mostly unlistenable for me at least :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Mosespa's Opinions:

The Edge is one of the most innovative guitarists of the rock era.

Bono is one of the greatest vocalists of the rock era.

The Joshua Tree is one of the greatest albums of the rock era.

So is Achtung Baby.

Larry Mullen, Jr. is one of the most interesting drummers of the rock era (he is to the drums what Edge is to the guitar, I think.)

Adam Clayton has a tendency to look like Lou Reed no matter what he does with his hair.

U2 are a GREAT band, I think.

I love them...although I am slightly disturbed by Bono's ever growing resemblance to Robin Williams.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Adam Clayton is a Bass God.
mister_knobbs
Blade
Blade

Post by mister_knobbs »

U2 are - or at least were an important band

Their albums in the eighties were all brilliant and innovative, but in the nineties...well don't talk about that.

I absolutely agree with the opinion that 'The Joshua Tree' is an overrated album. The first four songs are amaziong, but the least...let's say forgettable. But not the absolutely underrated follow-up, 'Rattle and Hum' which is one of the brightest, beautiest, greatest album recorded in the history of music.

'Achtung Baby' was a much weaker album than 'Rattle and Hum' but still innovative and listenable. 'Zooropa' is too experimental, 'Pop' too 'poppy' (haha), and 'All That you Can Leave Behind' is simply boring.

Maybe the next album.