Judge!
Judge!

Do You Like Opera?

Post by Charade I am »

I do....you?

Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Because of my profession, I do perceive opera more as sort of music theatre - so I could say I am a huge admirer of operas directed by Robert Wilson, or Peter Sellars, or Mariusz Trelinski, or Peter Brook.... Musical content is less important in such case; I'm also very keen on good, intelligent librettos.
But, of course, music... Operas by Mozart or Monteverdi are masterpieces, nobody could deny it.... Personally, I prefer 20th century operas: works by Alban Berg ("Lulu" and "Wozzeck"), Karol Szymanowski ("King Roger") and Richard Strauss ("Salome"), and some really modern stuff (like Helmut Lachenmann's).
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Not at all. I don?t know why, i can?t explain it, but operas are something my mind/body/whatever doesn?t like at all.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I have seen few Finnish operas (it was a local opera-trilogy) and I enjoyed them, but I would not say that I like operas. I prefer ordinary theatre. Next friday I'm going to watch Pekka 1.5, which is about gay couple who adopts a baby, 1,5 years old, but the dot is placed in wrong place and they get 15 year old teenager.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I can enjoy operas when in the right mood, but I prefer watching rock shows.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

The question is will non opera likers be buying Roger Waters up coming opera Ca Ira?.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I haven't seen many opera's, but I don't like it at all.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I'm not a huge fan of opera but I respect it as an art. I may go see one every few years just to shake things up a bit. It's good for the soul.
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

It's funny, I don't like Italian Opera but I love German Opera, my fav's are Wagner's:

Tannheuser
Der Fliegende Holl?nder
Rienzi
Tristan Und Isolde
Die Fledermouse
Lohengrin
Der Ring des Nibelungen

And my all time favorite:

Carmina Burana by Carl Orff
O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis,
semper crescis
aut decrescis;
vita detestabilis
nunc obdurat
et tunc curat
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.
Magnificent!!!!!

Iv
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Ivan_2068 wrote:Die Fledermouse
Die Fledermaus (The Bat, or The Revenge of the Bat) is by Johann Strauss. It's a typical operetta from Vienna and has nothing to do with Wagnerian operas and music dramas.
However, I have to agree with the rest of your post - Italian opera is soppy and kitschy, while Wagner and Orff are extremely influential - for rock music as well.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

I don't listen to it at home; I only have one real opera cd and a few compilation cd's with operapieces.
Once I have been given tickets for The Meistersinger von Nurnberg by Wagner and I must say I enjoyed every minute of the 4 1/2 hours it lasted.
But as I said: I don't know much opera music so what can I say...

btw Does anyone know when Roger's opera will come out?
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

Die Fledermaus (The Bat, or The Revenge of the Bat) is by Johann Strauss. It's a typical operetta from Vienna
Sorry, stupid mistake Anna Roza, last month I went ro see Die Fledermouse and included the name in Wagner's list.

I should not trust in my weak memory, specially with names in foreign languages.

Agree with you, Italian Opera IMHO is absolutely soppy and weak, while Wagner and Orff are powerful and original.

I'm trying to convince my fiancee to let me find musicians willing to play parts of Carmina Burana in our wedding, she still doesn't accept.

Iv?n

PS: Yesterday I saw again in HBO "Meeting Venus", a not so good film, but one of the best Tanheusser Overtures I heard, also Kiri Te Kanawa is excelent playing Glenn Close voice.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

good grief, no thanks. =;
but i do like orff :^o

peace
zag
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Ivan_2068 wrote: I'm trying to convince my fiancee to let me find musicians willing to play parts of Carmina Burana in our wedding, she still doesn't accept.
Great idea! I wish you convince her, that would be beautiful - Orff instead of Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You" for example :wink: :lol:
Ivan_2068 wrote: PS: Yesterday I saw again in HBO "Meeting Venus", a not so good film, but one of the best Tanheusser Overtures I heard, also Kiri Te Kanawa is excelent playing Glenn Close voice.
I loved her in Losey's filming of "Don Giovanni" - great movie, also visually - gorgeous lanscapes and amazing, dark atmosphere.
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You" for example
Yikes!!!!, thanks God she doesn't like that song, because refuse to marry with that music :D
I loved her in Losey's filming of "Don Giovanni" - great movie, also visually - gorgeous lanscapes and amazing, dark atmosphere.
Thanks for the tip, I found in Allmovie a place to buy the DVD cheap.

Iv