My favourites:

Sultans of Swing
Tunnel of love
Telegraph road
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

I got the Dire Straits Live On The Night dvd.....it's pretty good.....only stereo sound tho, with no extras at all....

I hope they release the Alchemy Live concert on dvd sometime, and with Dolby 5.1
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Re: Dire Straits!

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Ridan wrote:Any Dire Straits fans here?
Great band. Fantastic Guitarist that Mark fella.

The first album is my favorite. I still listent to it regularly. Down to the Waterline is fantastic LOUD.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

I love the Alchemy live album
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I am a HUGE fan,both Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler solo,Mark is my favourite guitarist,the man has so much going for him as a guitar player,composer,lyric writer,arranger,perofrmer,producer.Basically he can do everything,there is not one song of his i don't like,some i like more than others,but they are all good,and he has gained the respect of so many other musicians out there too,the greatest thing about Mark is his lack of ego,he just loves doing what he does,he has said in interviews,he loves every aspect of what he does,the writing,the recording,the touring.
I don't have a favourite album,because each one has so many good songs/moments,he has a great knack of making a record sound amazing,with great songs and production and guitar playing,but then making it sound even better live,songs like Telegraph Road,Brothers In Arms,Private Investigations,Sultans Of Swings,etc sound great on record,but just take on a new life when played live.
He is a unique guitar player,with the way he devoloped a new way of picking,the thumb and 2 finger style,with 2 fingers rooted to the guitar,it gives he a great range.
He is also the most tasteful guitarist in the world,he playing,touch and feel are just out of this world,but he can also play very fast and rock out with the best of them.
Plus Mark does'nt like to stay in one style,he plays country,blues,rock,instrumental,folk,ballads,you name it,he plays it.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Yeah, I'm a fan. Their early stuff mainly although Telegraph Road has some wonderful moments.
Knopfler's vocals remind me of our lord Roger's in as much as he can sound pretty awful sometimes but you get used to it.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Funny you should mention Mark's vocals,he used to be a heavy smoker,which came through in his singing,his singing voice has always been used weakest point,but it works just fine for his own songs,but if you listen to Mark's solo albums you can tell a reall improvement in his singing,because he has given up smoking,and by the time you get to his last solo album,The Ragpickers Dream,his singing is so much better.
Now Mark has just made a duets album with Emmylou Harris,to be released soon,so,it should be very interesting to hear his voice alside a female voice for a whole album,which is something new to him.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I have a great deal of respect for Mark Knopfler.

Not only is the guy a brilliant tunesmith, he's an awesome guitarist who held his own against the great Chet Atkins.

Besides, he wrote Private Dancer for Tina Turner...THAT took some guts.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Here here! I'm definitely a fan of Dire Straits. Especially the first two albums (Dire Straits and Communique) - straightforward and brilliant. I love all songs off those two albums. But my all-time fave would be Follow Me Home. After Communique, their songs started being a bit overproduced. They lost their original style I think. But still, there are some gems - Solid Rock, Industrial Disease. And Brothers In Arms is great. On Every Street is pretty good too. Yeah, they rock! Also check out the Live At BBC album - classic.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

All guitarists should check out the wonderful album Neck And Neck,that Mark made with the late great Chet Atkins.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

I suppose I don't deserve to call myself a fan, but I absolutely love Sultans of Swing, On Every Street, Your Latest Trick, and a bunch of others. Dire Straits is one of those bands I've been meaning to get into more, but I just don't know where to start. I have Brothers in Arms, On Every Street, and Making Movies, but I just haven't listened to them enough to really get into them. Mark Knopfler is without a doubt an incredible (not to mention underrated) guitarist.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Well i don't think Mark is an underatted guitarist,because everyone knows what a great player he is,i have talked to people who don't really like Dire Straits,but they all still say,"But the guitar player is amazing".
But,you say you don't know where to start,but you have 3 albums already!!,and they only made 6 original albums,so your have way there my friend,but if you are wondering what to buy next,i would urge you to get "Love Over Gold",it only has 5 tracks,but they are all good,and it shows Mark really stretching out as a composer,with "Telegraph Road"coming in at 14 minutes being the longest song Mark has ever written,but it is great from start to finish,plus the album has "Private Investigations"which is an amazing track too,both lyricly(which Mark own awards for)and musicly,it's almost like Mark's Bohemian Rhapsody.
But i'd also say,if you have the released albums already,then get the other half.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Love Over Gold is a pretty good album, It Never Rains is my absolutely favourite song off it - the last few minutes are incredible. Jason, I'd suppose you'd get Dire Straits and Communique, they're more of a good classic rock/blues - fantastic stuff like Once Upon A Time In The West, Lions, Down To The Waterline, Follow Me Home...
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

"It Never Rains",is another great song,that does'nt get talked about much,which is strange,i love it.
Also you should get Alchemy,the double live album,which contains great live versions of the pre Brothers In Arms material,i think it's one of the greatest live albums ever,and i hope it gets a D.V.D. release sometime.