The Manic Street Preachers

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

The Manic Street Preachers

Post by Useful Idiot »

Any fans of this british rock band? I've just recently discovered them, and their only album I've heard so far is The Holy Bible. However, I have to say that it's an incredible album with some of the darkest lyrics I've ever witnessed. Any comments on what album I should check out next? Any comments on the band in general? Discuss...
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I used to really like them. They used to have a huge following amongst the 'having issues and feeling suicidal is cool' brigade which is not necessarily their fault. I'm not so keen on Holy Bible. I think 'Yes' and 'This is yesterday' are good but the rest of it is obvious, too dark and not very musical. I think they were really good around the 'everything must go era' - better tunes - better lyrics. The album after that is even better in my opinion but it wasn't very well received by the critics (but what do they know?). I don't like them so much these days because James Dean Bradfield has become very fat.

If you like the early guff you should try Generation Terrorists but maybe give Gold against the Soul a miss unless you're a big fan of Guns'n'Roses.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

The Holy Bible is easily their best album, but Everything Must Go isn't far behind (it still has some songs with Richey's lyrics).
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Next Friday on Onyx TV there would be broadcasted their concert from 1997... I'm going to watch it; I've never been a fan of them, but I think they're far better than e.g. Oasis....
mister_knobbs
Blade
Blade

Post by mister_knobbs »

I am keen on the Manics since I have seen 'Motorcycle Emptiness' in 1992. My goodness what a great band I thought. I listened to all their albums since then and found each one different but each one as good as it should be. My favourite is 'The Holy Bible' though. It is dark, but maybe the one of the deepest albums ever recorded - as well with 'Closer' from Joy Division.

After Richey's...department they are still a powerful band, it's a shame that I never seen them performing live...
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

mister_knobbs wrote:it's a shame that I never seen them performing live...
Trust me, youre not missing much, I find them incredibly dull live, it just becomes a bit tedious after awhile and the drummer seems to only play 2 maybe 3 different patterns at the most, its all very by numbers. My fave Manics tracks are ''Nobody Loved You'' from This Is My Truth So Up Yours and the Deadly Avenger remix of ''Everlasting'' which is miles better than the album version.