100 greatest guitar solos

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

100 greatest guitar solos

Post by Powderfinger »

I found this:

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm

Gilmour stands:
4 Comfortably numb
21 Time
62 Money

What do you think?

I think the the Gilmour forum with this one- David
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Good to see Zappa on there even if it was at number 60 with "Zoot Allures" but I think his solo on "Watermelon in Easter Hay" should be on that list as well considering a few tunes on there don't really even have "solos" to begin with.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

1 Stairway To Heaven - Jimmy Page - I wouldn't put that one on the top personally.
2 Eruption - Edward Van Halen - huh?
3 Freebird - Collins/Rossington - huh?

Seems totally out of my taste, but AT LEAST Comfortably Numb and All Along The Watchtower are in the Top 5 and there are some other solos I love - Sultans Of Swing, Paranoid Android, Voodoo Chile, Layla, Little Wing, Time, Machine Gun, Brighton Rock, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Europa (God! Carlos Santana 49th place the best? This should be in the top 10 at least), Money, Star Spangled Banner, Cocaine, wait - And Your Bird Can Sing is 69? How? I never noticed there is a guitar solo! Purple Haze number 70, well, Won't Get Fooled Again... I'd put some Steve Hackett solos in it. What about Firth Of Fifth or The Lamia? Anyway, great to see Jimi 3times in top 20. His music deserves it.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

:x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil:
Bastards!!!! First and only Robert Fripp's solo is on #82 (of course, 21stCSM, everything else is too complicated for them!!!), and there's no Adrian Belew at all.... These people still stick in rock'n'roll and early hard rock and can't understand contemporary music unless it's so simple as Nirvana...l
No Fred Frith? And Zappa only on # 60 :? ???

However, there are many great solos.... Apart from so called living (or not :( ) legends of rock, it's nice they mentioned e.g. Tom Morello, Trey Anastasio and Dave Navarro (in classic JA "Three Days..." :D)
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I was even more surprised to find Kurt Cobain on place 26 with Smells like teen spirit, I can play that "solo". :x

Neil Young is at 39 which is allright because his kind of music doesn't need very great solos, but with Cortez the Killer. I mean, I like the song, but listen to Like a Hurricane, the solo's there are much better :?