careful with that axe(hammer) Eugene

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
emiemi2375
Knife
Knife

careful with that axe(hammer) Eugene

Post by emiemi2375 »

ah what a witty thread subject.

well i'm drew (and i don't eat green eggs and spam) and i play guitar. Quite well. And over the years i've made up some unnusual ways of playing, like i'm sure we all have. And today i was amazed that my guitar playing friend didn't know about the motor bike spring noise* and so i thought "Right, let's make a thread so everyone can contribute their techniques and noises. and hmm what can i call the thread?" so here's a few examlples:

1) The motorbike spring noise

This is one of my more elaborate ones. on the back of your guitar you may find a plastic square or something removable with screws on it (where you feed new strings through) remove this and you'll find three anchor springs (they counter the strings to make sure you don't break your neck) well if you strum them your pickups pick it up and it sounds cool. DrewTip: also try scratching them or strumming them then punching your guitar. (it also looks good)

2) The whirlwind effect

Quite simple really bring your strum hand to where the higher frets are (or anywhere on the fretboard) and make a kind of half fist (so all knuckles are at 90degrees) and just scratch up and down with all your fingernails (with your knuckles perpendicular to the strings). DrewTip: You can also try resting your palm on the strings while scratching

3) The pyschadelic switch

Well you play with your fretboard hand and your strum hand doesn't strum, it rapidly switches that switch that changes what pickup you're using. DrewTip: for you zanier ones try unscrewing your plekguard (the thing your pickups are built into) and switching them about, then do it, it sounds even psychadeliker.

*explained later in the passage

Ps. (FLoydie way of sweet home alabama)

E-------5--------0---3
b-------7--------1---3
g-------6--------3---0
d-------7--------2---0
a--5-5-5-5-4-3-3--_2
e-------------------3-3

lol
emiemi2375
Knife
Knife

Post by emiemi2375 »

come on people some of you must know some
emiemi2375
Knife
Knife

Post by emiemi2375 »

bumpity bump bump bump (merciless) bump bump (unbound by a conscience)
emiemi2375
Knife
Knife

Post by emiemi2375 »

ditto
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Poor emiemi
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I don't really know any tricks. I myself play mostly acoustic these days.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I think it's just not the right place for such discussion. I mean guitar magazines' forums are good for discussing such things, with using precise terms, submitting tabs, photos, drawings, sound samples etc. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

How do i make the bird noise from echoes, that dave does on his geetar.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I guess with a lot bend-up's, but I'm not certain
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

tune the bottom E (the low one (wound)to a lower D (the D your allready tuned to) and play all the strings playing the D chord shape along the fret board (not exactly a trick but a nice technique)
or tune the strings to an E shape so it sounds like your playing E without putting your fingers on the frets and use a slide or barring the whole of the strings or make new chord shapes etc
tune all the srings to E and play single notes whilst strumming all the strings .
play solo notes bending up high pitch whilst turning the volume up at the same time (starting from silence) using your little finger or any nearest the volume (ghosting)
:wink:
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I can play Stairway... thats cool right???

:)
emiemi2375
Knife
Knife

Post by emiemi2375 »

the bird noise is a type of feedback. play the note of the pitch of the bird and then while sustaining that note put your guitar so the strings are running parallel and facing your amp. it needs to be quite loud but i'm pretty sure that'#s how you do it. microphones tend to work better
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I like to record my own music at home on the computer...unfortunately, I currently have only one functioning guitar (electric) and sometimes, the song I'm working on requires an acoustic guitar...so, I plug the guitar into an effects processor that I have which has an acoustic simulator on it.

Not being entirely satisfied with the sound of the simulator alone, I also mike my electric guitar much as I would an acoustic so that the "click" of the pick attacking the strings is mixed in with the acoustic simulator.

Pretty convincing, I think.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I'm just a bass player and can play all sorts of Jaco Pastorius and Weather Report songs but i do play guitar sometimes. I heard that Dave Plugged in his whawha peddle backwards and thats how he got the seagull sound to sound so good.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

how do you do that then lol