The Pixies

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

The Pixies

Post by Useful Idiot »

Given the heated Nirvana thread we have going, I felt obliged to make a Pixies thread. Thoughts on this great band?

I've heard three of their four albums (Trompe Le Monde being the only one I'm missing), and I have to say that Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are impressive. Bossanova is average, but has some good songs. They aren't as good as Nirvana (in my opinion), but still worth checking out.

Also, I'm seeing them on April 21st when they come to Victoria. W00t!
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Well, IMO they ARE(or were) better than Nirvana, of course they aren't that similar in style. All their albums were great except Trompe le Monde, which I just don't like for whatever reason(there are some good songs on it though). My fave Pixies' album is Bossanova, which is easily their "poppiest" one, and that's also the reason many other Pixies fans don't like it... Frank Black's first 2 solo albums are also worth checking out (I like his first s/t debut better than any Pixies album, actually), haven't heard his newer stuff much.....
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

great band. get Trompe Le Monde. fab record.
emiemi2375
Knife
Knife

Post by emiemi2375 »

if you like the pixies, listen to pavement. If you don't like the pixies, that's understandable because they're shit, listen to Pavement because they do what pixies try to do.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

emiemi2375 wrote:if you like the pixies, listen to pavement. If you don't like the pixies, that's understandable because they're ****, listen to Pavement because they do what pixies try to do.
Haven't heard Pavement, but I saw Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks open for Radiohead. They sucked.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I'm bringing my son to Coachella....I think he'll thank me later in life, since he'll get to see the Pixies. Right now I'm not sure he gets the significance. He loves the music, but can't yet conseptualize all else concerning their history.