Suggest a song!

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Suggest a song!

Post by Ridan »

Apologies for being late with this thread. In the beginning I had the impression that it's not a welcome thread and then I stopped following it. But a nice member brought it to my notice that I was under a misapprehension. Thanks Stephen. :)

For those of you who don't know what this thread is about please refer to the following thread:

Just an idea.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/for/v ... a506b27cd0

Here is how this thread will work.

This thread is about SUGGESTING a song. One of us will suggest a song and tell us why they like the song. The others will try and get their hands on it. And tell us what they think. Every song posted on this thread will have a 'half life' of 3 days. After that a new suggestion will come up and the previous song will expire.

This thread is about learning about new songs and broadening our horizons about what is out there musically. So play nice.

Here are some rules.

1. Respect other peoples choice. Therefore please avoid personal attacks.

2. This is about suggesting a song, so please let us know why you suggested this song. It can be as simple a reason as, I like the saxo on it (I have such a song :wink: ).

3. No song will live longer than 3 days. If 3 days have passed and still no suggestions then the discussion can be continued.

4. Anyone who wants the number of days changed please PM me.

5. Suggestions or complaints? I'm just a PM away. As usual they are always welcome.

6. The song can range from Stairway to Heaven to Hit Me Baby One More Time. All members, without exception are NOT ALLOWED to comment on the 'choice' of another person. Comments on the song? You may.

7. If 2 members have suggested the song at the same time then the member who's post is in the second will delete his post and will wait for 3 days. All good things come to those who wait :wink:

I don't know about you guys, but I need to mature...musically that is :D

Hope we enjoy!

My suggestion: Your Latest Trick - Dire Straits

I like the saxo on this one. It's just relaxes me. Not to mention the lyrics are kind of funny.

Next Suggestion: Sunday 24, April 9:00 PM GMT

That is three days, ladies and gentleman!

PS. Members who would like to take part in this thread please PM me with your nick. Once in a while I'll post the statistics which should be fun.
Last edited by Ridan on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Very nice song. The saxophone is nice on this one, as you say. The whole Brothers In Arms album is interesting, my favourite tracks would be Your Latest Trick, the title track, Ride Across The River, Why Worry, Walk Of Life. The others aren't bad either, though I don't like this album as much as their first two and Love Over Gold, which are sooo good. Making Movies also had bright moments (Expresso Love and Solid Rock), but I never liked Les Boys, Skateaway and Romeo And Juliet (after I've seen the weird video of this song).
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

One huge advantage that this album had was that when it appeared (early 85) CDs were very much in their infancy and this was music well suited to this medium.My favourite track originally was Money for Nothing mainly because of the great guitar lick but after a while pretty much the whole album got under my skin.Like all great guitarists Mark Knopfler has that instantly recognizable sound and even tho he has been criticised for not letting rip like say Jimmy Page thats not what hes about.On another thread I have posted my dislike of Country music but as this album has many country influences and I like it, it just shows what c***p I talk sometimes.I'm always a sucker for a bit of sax (yes I did mean sax) and this ones pretty cool and thanks for a good suggestion Ridan.Now who did I lend my copy to?
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

stephen wrote:but after a while pretty much the whole album got under my skin.Like all great guitarists Mark Knopfler has that instantly recognizable sound
I agree with you here Stephen. This album pretty much got under my skin. I listen to this album, especially the song every day on my way to the hospital.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Yes looking back at it I think this album was some kind of turning point for me.Up until then I would never have admitted liking something like this probably for the strange reason that i thought my mates would laugh at me(we were all into Floyd, Zep,Zappa and the like) so I listened to it in private and never loaned it to any of them.Strange how our tastes develop as we grow up and as I say in retrospect I suppose this album was partly responsible.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

stephen wrote:Up until then I would never have admitted liking something like this probably for the strange reason that i thought my mates would laugh at me
Funny you mention that. I had the same strange feeling before suggesting that song. And except my 2 best friends I don't really lone this album to anyone. I should say that once one spends some time with this album it get's to you and it's a nice piece of work. Though Knopfler HAS released better stuff.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Im afraid I dont like the song at all, its a little to close to George Michael dinner party background music for me, I like some of the other songs on the album tho, well, one.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

One of the few yongs i don?t really like on the Brothers album. I takes ages to start and then it goes on without any real highpoints. A bit too boring for me. There are much better songs on that album. I guess it doesn?t really help that i?m not a fan of saxophones...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

One of few songs on Brother In Arms that i would say hasn't dated to badly like MFN, WOL and perhaps even So Far Away have. Would have to say i prefer The Man's To Strong but the opening and the lyrics for this song are both evry strong.

Gotta admit i prefer the live version on On The night, just the delivery of the last verse is truely spectacular
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Oh yeah, this song was THIS song.... Well the sax part is catchy and all, but umm, well, I've never been the biggest Dire Straits fan and this song didn't really change that.....
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

After seing it was Ridan who started this topic,i was'nt supprised to see the first song a Dire Straits track :lol: .
Well,i guess most people know i adore Dire Straits,so i won't go on for long,but "Your Lastest Trick"is a classic song from a classic album,a milestone album for many reasons,not everyone likes the sax,and in some songs it does sound out of place,but Mark Knopfler has a good ear and a good arranger,so it fits perfectly hear,the sax intro is one of the most recognised sax parts in music,there was a rumor that it was Mark Knopfler himself who played the sax intro,but after asking Guy Fletcher i find out it was just a rumor,musically it keeps up with the rest of the songs on "Brothers In Arms",and lyricly it's very strong too,as most of Mark's song's are,the track also shows how good Mark is at creating an atmosphere,when you listen you can almost see 2 "the taxi's and the whore's,only taking calls for cash".This is another reason why Mark is also a very good sountrack composer,he is all atmosphere,the only thing missing from the track is a blistering guitar solo,but is it really missing?,i don't think it needs one,hence it does'nt have one,Mark weaves the guitar lines between the words,that's what Mark does he plays for the song.
In short a classic track from a classic album :D .
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

A little off topic. Three days is enough time for a song or should it be down to 2 days?
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I think 3 days is fine,because not everyone can get online everyday for whatever reason,and they might have missed a chance to talk about a song they like,and for people who don't have the song,it's gives them enough time to get hold of it and listen and form an opinion.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

Can I bring the timing down to 2 days? :mrgreen:
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

ok by me