What's the best syd album?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

What's best?

Barret
19%
The madcap laughs
57%
Opel
5%
Some other best off
10%
Other
10%

Total votes: 21

David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

What's the best syd album?

Post by David Smith »

As the title asks. I'm an huge Pink Floyd fan but i don't own any solo syd stuff, so what should i get?

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

David- I would recommend:

Syd Barrett-Best of:Wouldn't you miss me?

This CD contains songs from all the solo's plus Opel and The "Crazy Diamond" box set which to my knowledge is no longer available (at least in the states) , plus a couple of BBC tunes. It contains many of his finest songs.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Thank you quicksilver, i shall buy it tomorrow.
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

I would recommend madcap to begin with......barrett possibly is more accessible but madcap is in some ways a better album. As for the crazy diamond boxed set-- I believe its available at amazon. I got mine for 30 $!
kaya
Axe
Axe

Post by kaya »

i have Wouldn't you miss me cd and i totally like it !!!
i've plans for buying some other syd's cds but it's hard to get it in slovenia. most people don't even know who he is. :( :cry:
(why was i born here??!!)
NiceJangly
Axe
Axe

Post by NiceJangly »

Syd's solo efforts aren't for eveyone. Personally I love Syd's stuff as much as Floyd's, if not more, therefore I have everything. Some is superb, some is a little ragged to say the least, but it is all beautifully insane and I love it!
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

It's best to start with WOULDN'T YOU MISS ME, if you don't like that then you certainly won't like the original albums. If you do then go out and get THE MADCAP LAUGHS and BARRETT, once you've digested that than get OPEL. You should then be ready for the unofficial stuff, and there's some interesting stuff that's never had an official release. The standouts being the banjo/sax version of "Swan Lee" the 'echo' mix of "Dark Globe", and "If You Go" from the legendary sessions from 1974.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Oh i forgot to say, the shop i was in didn't sell the best offf, but the studio albums were a fviver each so i bought The Madcap laughs and listened to it on my diskman on the way home, by song 6 i was impressed and went back to the shop to buy Barret.

The Madcap laughs is definitly a lot better, that song "Dark Globe" is totally brilliant and the outtakes at the end also sound bloody impressive.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I love the version of Dominoes Gilmour did for his DVD/concert.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

I just recently bought Madcap & Barrett, and while "The Madcap Laughs" is better as a whole, I think "Barrett" has the best 3 songs Syd ever made (Baby Lemonade, Dominoes and Gigolo Aunt)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Wouldn't You Miss Me is the only Syd produkt I own. It's a great package. All the classics, nice booklet, cool photos, and Bob Dylan Blues is a genius in its own right! :P