ITF DVD

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

ITF DVD

Post by bong »

Finally watched it last night.
To be honest, I wasn't that impressed at all.I think that he butchered Welcome To The Machine, Another Brick pt2 Set The Controls...... among other songs. I did however enjoy the performance of dogs and shine on pt1-9 . Though I think those were about the only things that I thought were worth anything. Glad I didn't waste my money on it.
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I guess this means everyone agrees with me??
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think it is a little thin at times! :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

To be honest, I found it lacking, but I also found PULSE lacking.

It goes without saying...but I'm going to say it.

Simply put, Roger without Floyd is just not as good as Roger with Floyd. And Floyd without Roger is just not as good as Floyd with Roger.

To me, the remarkable thing about In The Flesh (and I've remarked on this before) is how Roger managed to put on a good visual show without motion pictures, without lasers, without puppets, without robots...granted, maybe it seems a little "bargain basement," but Roger proved (to me at least) that you don't have to put on the most expensive show ever seen, the BIGGEST show ever seen, in order to put on a GOOD show.

If Gilmour and Co. were to agree to scale their show down like this one was (which I don't think they ever would) and play the smaller halls (which I don't think they ever would) then Roger MIGHT consider doing a reunion show (which I don't think will ever happen.)

ITF could be considered a good blueprint for what a Floyd show might look like if Roger were to come back.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think music and intimacy go hand in hand. Large venues are just not nice. I think arenas are too big! The Manchester Appolo or Liverpool Uni Mountford Hall is big and big enough. :)
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

i loved it.

there honestly wasnt a moment that i wasnt unimpressed - and i agree with mosespa - it didnt need all that gear to make it a good show.

the musiscians were excellant, (Andy's 'solo' on Money was great - what he lacked in technique he certainly made up for in style :))

i liked the version of Welcome to the Machine a lot more than the studio version - i find that song cold and boring. adding the rhythm to it made it a lot better.

the solo on Set the Controls made it sound less like a 60s Floyd song, and more like a 70's Floyd song, but still Floyd all the same (a good thing imho... i can get very sick of listning to an album like Piper at the Gates of Dawn)

I only wish he'd done less Floyd, and more Solo stuff, say added Sunset Strip/Home, 5:01 am (the pros and cons of hitchhiking)

Mother could have gone, SouthHampton Dock and Get You Filthy Hands... were out of place.

Brain Damage and Eclipse have always sounded crap, live or not :)

but anyway.

well worth my money (or, my Girlfriends, she bought it for me for my birthday ;))
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I don't need all that "gear " to make a good show either.This is, ofcourse my opinion, but I think the studio version of Welcome to the Machine is the best because of the fact that its cold, though I don't think its boring. As for the rest, I don't always like the studio versions the best, but for almost all of the songs I've heard a live version that was far superior, but again, these live versions were Pink Floyd playing them and not Roger and crew. And maybe thats why. But regardless, I still think that there were many parts severely lacking.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

To be perfectly honest, I like Pulse considerably more. Not just for the visuals but for how the songs are performed. Roger's voice sounds good as usual but it's hard for me to listen to these songs without thinking I'm listening to a cover band. Part of the problem I have here is that I really deep down wanted to love this more than Pulse and I ended up feeling that it's really uninspired. This is not a knock against the musicians because they're obviously talanted, I just don't care for how they play the songs.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If there is a coverband it is those people that call themselves Pink Floyd nowdays. They play Rogers songs but they play them really well as that is what the three other them (and now friends) did for the Floyd and was an integral part of what made the Floyd great! Long live song! :lol:
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

kjnpf wrote:If there is a coverband it is those people that call themselves Pink Floyd nowdays. They play Rogers songs but they play them really well as that is what the three other them (and now friends) did for the Floyd and was an integral part of what made the Floyd great! Long live song! :lol:
I can see your point but let me try to put my feelings into word.

I identify a Pink Floyd song with the music as much as the lyrics. When I hear "Pink floyd" perform WYWH it sounds good to me because Dave played and sang that song originally. When I hear Roger do it, it doesn't seem right to me. Now on a song like Brain damage/Eclipse where Roger originally sang it, it doesn't sound right to me because Dave sings it (Pulse) but at least the music sounds good. Although the musicians that Roger employs are very good, they just sound different enough for me not to completely embrace it.

Can you kind of see what I saying?

I realize they're Roger words in many cases but it still sounds okay to me because the music is good.

Now another exception would be "Pigs" or "SHeep" where Rogers voice is
so good that Dave would just butcher it.

I don't know- it's a constant inner struggle going on here.

Just get back together so I can stop thinking about it :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I've got the cd of in the flesh (i was 2 quid of the dvd) and i wasn't to impressed. Some songs were done brilliantly (Welcome To The Machine was i thought, quite spectacular) but he didn't sing enough. Why didn't he sing Money? If we go to a waters concert can we atleast see him singing all the songs? Also, he never sang breathe or the end of Time for some reason which got on my goat a bit.

Also, i don't know what all this intimacy stuff is about with his concerts, i've not seen him perform, but i don't see how a concert could be intimate when it's still full of special sound effects that are clearly just on tapes.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I agree completely. The songs David did are not performed well by Roger or, at least, I prefer when Gilmour does them.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I know, you mayaswell hear the familiar pink floyd guys doing songs like money than a total random guy who had nothing to do with the song.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

well

like i said

there should have been more an emphasis on Roger's Solo stuff.

where's the cheese?

over there in a box

homo, ekai, ergo, elk.

la'Fontaine knew his sister, and he knew her bloody well.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

kjnpf wrote:If there is a coverband it is those people that call themselves Pink Floyd nowdays. They play Rogers songs but they play them really well as that is what the three other them (and now friends) did for the Floyd and was an integral part of what made the Floyd great! Long live song! :lol:
I give you here the concertlist of Pink Floyd 1994 1994-09-13 Pink Floyd Stadio delle Alpi Torino, Italy " A Passage of Time"
a = first disc b = second disc
a01 Astronomy Domine a02 Learning To Fly a03 What Do You Want From Me a04 On The Turning Away a05 Take It Back a06 A Great Day For Freedom a07 Sorrow a08 Keep Talking a09 One Of These Days b01 Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts I - V) b02 Breathe b03 Time b04 High Hopes b05 The Great Gig In The Sky b06 Wish You Were Here b07 Us And Them b08 Money b09 Another Brick In The Wall - part 2 b10 Comfortably Numb e01 Hey You e02 Run Like Hell

I only see 3 songs only written by Waters. Dear Webmaster, they are not a coverband, just like Pink Floyd in 1968 was not a coverband without Syd. They are simply called Pink Floyd, they play the music and it sounds like Pink Floyd. I totally agree with Quicksilver on this issue