I used a Tool to make A Perfect Circle

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

I used a Tool to make A Perfect Circle

Post by seamusz »

I thought Id start a thread discussing these two great bands and, for those who are fans, how you describe which one you are in the mood for.

The main difference in my opinion is that Tool seems to me to be a little more raw than APC...

any thoughts?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I would say that TOOL are also more inclined toward long epic pieces than APC is.

I think of APC as "this is what TOOL might sound like if TOOL were more of a "pop" band than a "progressive" band."

This is not to denigrate APC...I like Mer De Noms a lot, though I haven't heard much of the new album. APC also allows Maynard to explore different facets of his singing voice.

Three Libras is absolutely one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Maynard sings like an angel...which is quite a nice change from the sort of "drill seargent" scream he often employs within TOOL. Not that there's anything wrong with THAT, either.
Forgotten Sons
Axe
Axe

Post by Forgotten Sons »

Personnaly I like Tool, not APC; I'm not saying that APC is not a good Band, but as
mosespa Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:44 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say that TOOL are also more inclined toward long epic pieces than APC is.

I think of APC as "this is what TOOL might sound like if TOOL were more of a "pop" band than a "progressive" band."
I would say Tool is more progressive, APC, is to low you know, it kind of bores me after 4 or 5 songs, so I definetly prefer Tool over APC, although it's a nice Band..
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

I have seen them both live, I would ahve to say i enjoyed apc more live, they experimented alittle more live than tool did which was kinda cool.
I probably listen to tool more, songs like lateralus, and flood i find uplifting where as most apc songs i feel are a little depressing.

Fav tool album: Opiate or Lateralus
APC: mer de noms, i reas really dissapointed in the 13th step, on record its boring, life its great.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I do like them very much, one of the very few bands that continue the tradition of great progressive rock in it's intelectual (and not soppy and infantile) version, very Crimsonish.... And Maynard is a great vocalist.

Favourite Tool - "Undertow and "Lateralus". The live CD that was published together with "Salival" DVD is also amazing, I do love their LedZep "No Quarter" cover, better than the original version.
Favourite APC - "13th step", I like it even more than the first one, because it's more original, not like "another Tool", but something very different, with Maynard singing with a "new discovered", different voice, that reminds me much of David Sylvian :D

Tool's concert I've seen wasn't very good, but I bet they could do better. And their videos are just masterpieces.... :shock:
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I do love their LedZep "No Quarter" cover, better than the original version
Have you heard the Led Zeppelin version featured on The Song Remains The Same soundtrack?

That version destroys their own studio & Tool's version all together.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Gonzo wrote: Have you heard the Led Zeppelin version featured on The Song Remains The Same soundtrack?

Oh yes, this one is absolutely perfect!
shesahellion
Knife
Knife

Post by shesahellion »

and with jonsey's dream sequence too-it's a great live version.
Forgotten Sons
Axe
Axe

Post by Forgotten Sons »

Have you heard the Led Zeppelin version featured on The Song Remains The Same soundtrack?

Definitely, it's a great concert. But i'd say guitar sounds better on the studio version. On the other hand, have you watched when Plant eats an "AMANITA", I think is on the song The song remains the same, not sure.