in the flesh

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
oguerreroberger
Embryo
Embryo

in the flesh

Post by oguerreroberger »

I think ITF concert was really really good. I understand that everyone (except rog) are not pink floyd, but in my opinion, the feeling of the songs are really great, i mean, roger trasnmmited a lot of emotions to the songs.

by the way, my favortite ones are: set the controls, shine, miracle, perfect sense, and flickering flame

oscar :wink: [img][/img]
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

He performed Flickering Flame?

I've yet to hear this song.

My opinion is that it was neither better nor worse than PULSE...well, maybe a tad better than PULSE...but to me, it sounded like a cover band with a singer who does a really good Roger Waters imitation.

I don't really know how to explain what my complaints are...all of the musicians are certainly top notch...it may simply be the absence of Dave, Rick and Nick that I hear and notice.

It was great to hear Roger live, though.

And doing "Dogs," as well. That was a nice touch.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

on the 20 minute 'docomentary' on the DVD, Roger plays a couple of verse of Flickering Flame, and Andy FairweatherLow has a bit of a bitch to the camera man, that Roger's got everyone prepared to go on tour, everyones practiced the songs, and so on, and suddenly Roger introduces another song for them all to play.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I agree with mosespa when he says ITF has a cover band feel to it; it does which is why I prefer Pulse. I have a much easier time listening to Dave sing Rogers vocals than having to listen to others sing Dave's vocals. Now having said that, I appreciate the intimate feel of ITF. It is much like a Floyd show in the early days when you really had to pay attention and shut up to hear the show; it's a total experience. Now I've seen Roger twice and I have come to the conclusion that Roger is best suited for studio work rather than Live Playing. When Roger starts playing songs from TFC, I would appreciate it if the audience would shut up so I can hear it. That happened to me when I saw him last; I was there to experience the total show and some boneheads wouldn't stop yelling "play Floyd Man".
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Dave gets up and plays guitar and sings

Roger is more charasmatic on stage.

Roger Live > Dave Live

how exactly can you compare ITF to PULSE?

ITF = Roger

Pulse = Floyd

it would be more logical to compare ITF to Dave's recent DVD
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I would put it more like this:

ITF = Roger
Pulse = David, Rick and Nick

I don't know why one would complain about ITF lacking David's vocals. It's a Roger Waters show; you shouldn't expect to hear David singing songs on it. I can see why one would complain about PULSE lacking Roger's vocals, though. After all, PULSE is supposedly a Pink Floyd product, and on it are numerous songs Roger sung.

BTW, David did not sing all of the vocals on The Division Bell Tour, just as Roger did not sing all of the vocals on his ITF Tours.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

ah yes, thanks for the correction, mate.

when i said Floyd i was saying Floyd is a group, rather than an induvidual.

as for Roger not singing all his songs (and all some of the floyd songs)

well, i put this foward - if Bruce Springsteen writes all his vocals for himself, thats his right, as an induvidual performer (although that E-Street band of his does tend to tag along occasioanlly)

however, if Roger writes songs in which he doesnt sing, then thats well within his rights as a member of a band gone solo

when he was in floyd, he constantly wrote songs, even then knowing Daves or Ricks voice would suit better. which they did - and thats fair enough.

so, into a solo career, why contract other singers to sing parts that are required. like in Perfect Sense, its almost like a conversation is going on. and you cant have one person to a conversation, (+-HH is a different matter, Roger used "he said" and "she said" a lot, it was conveying a story)

so um, yeah

i think that makes sense.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

It's not a cover band because they are Roger's songs... the DVD doesn't say Roger Waters & David Gilmour.. I think Doyle is brilliant and Jon Carin is also brilliant throughout.

It'd be different if the DVD promised David Gilmour on it.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

NewEarthMud wrote:It's not a cover band because they are Roger's songs... the DVD doesn't say Roger Waters & David Gilmour.. I think Doyle is brilliant and Jon Carin is also brilliant throughout.

It'd be different if the DVD promised David Gilmour on it.
Well, they're Rogers songs to a certain degree only. A song consists of words and music. Rogers words are brilliant, but words without music to accompany them are just poems. Don't sell David's contributions to short. Roger needed David's musicianship to make his songs come alive and mean something.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

quicksilver wrote: Well, they're Rogers songs to a certain degree only. A song consists of words and music. Rogers words are brilliant, but words without music to accompany them are just poems. Don't sell David's contributions to short. Roger needed David's musicianship to make his songs come alive and mean something.
David was obviously very important to Pink Floyd, however if you had've sent Jon Carin and Doyle back in time and they worked with Roger on a song like money with Doyle on vocals... I don't think the end result would be much different really. It might not have been better but it would have been the same style of a song I think. Just listen to the Money demo.. I think Roger always had in mind what he wanted a song to sound like for the most part.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just out of curiosity...has this become a Roger Versus Dave argument?

Just wondering.